Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing Scrubby Zoom upon Resizing Image

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. 
I'm running Windows 10 and have a computer with 32 GB RAM and a Nvidia GTX 1070 video card with 8 GB VRAM. I have been experiencing odd behaviour with PhotoShop 21.2.3.

I have scrubby zoom active and I open a .jpg file. When I resize the file to a higher dpi, I lose scrubby zoom and scrolling becomes slow and choppy. Now if I actually lower the resolution FIRST say 72 dpi to 71 dpi, THEN increase it to 150 dpi, I do NOT lose the scrubby zoom and scrolling remains smooth. Very bloody weird.

I tried adjusting the performance to basic or normal and that didn't help. I turned Use Open CL off and on and that didn't help. I tried Legacy Compositng and no joy. I even deleted the preferences and it did not help. 

The ONLY thing that worked was I went back to an earlier version of PhotoShop.  This problem persists from versions 21.2.3 to version 21.2. BUT everything seems to be fine in version 21.1.3.  That's four versions of PS that I have to skip until this is resolved. Whatever was introduced in 21.2, basically broke PS for me.  I guess I just want to report this odd behaviour in order to draw attention to it so that it can be addressed in a future update.  I don't want to have to 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the resolution without resampling does not change the image at all. All that does is change the size pixel will be printed Photoshop performances should not change.

As far as I know Legacy composting is broken in current Photoshop and should not be used

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it shouldn't affect performance. THAT'S WHY I'M REPORTING IT AS A BUG. I'm telling you exactly what happens when I resize an image. This occurs whether I use Legacy compositing or not, so it's a moot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

First, just in case, go to "Preferences" and select "General" and hit "Reset Preferences on Quit".  Just to clear everything out.

NOW. Open an image. Go to "Image" and select "Image Size". BUT instead of doing what you usually do, on the drop down menu for "Resample" select "Preserve Details 2.0" instead of Automatic. And resize your image. It should work fine after that.

At least on my computer Photoshop chokes when on the "Automatic" or the original "Preserve Details" setting.  "Preserve Details 2.0" seems fine.  Of course plain old "Bicubic Smoother" works as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines