• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Catalina - Save as/Save as copy not changing file name or extension

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened today, yesterday it was working fine.  I have all the latest CC updates.

With my Photoshop file open, I go to FILE, SAVE AS, tick AS A COPY, choose format .jpg

Filename remains .psd therefore it has to be changed manually.

Yesterday I updated to Catalina. Could there be a correlation?

Does anyone have a fix please? T.I.A. 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Deleted User

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 144 Replies 144
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File saving issues with Photoshop and Apple OS Catalina

Saved files from Photoshop as .jpg and after saving to my icloud account I sent the files along to my client and a copy to my staff via WeTransfer.  The file extensions defaulted to .psd somewhere along the way and neither my client or my staff were able to open the files as photoshop gave an error alert saying the file was not created in a current photoshop format.

I went back in via the finder and returned the file extensions back to .jpg and the files would then open properly.

Use caution before upgrading

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

Depuis la mise à jour Catalina sur mon iMac 5K (2019), la fonction "Enregistrer sous..." de Photoshop n'ajoute plus l'extension choisie : JPG, BMP, PNG, etc. L'extension reste celle utilisée a l'ouverture du fichier : JPG si la photo est en JPEG par exemple.

Conséquence, si j'enregistre en PNG un fichier au départ en JPEG, eh bien l'extension JPG reste associée au fichier. Et si je clique ensuite sur le fichier créé, impossible de l'ouvrir ! Je dois le faire glisser sur l'icone Photoshop pour qu'il s'ouvre !

Avez vous eu le meme probleme ? Je suis allé dans les Préférences de Photoshop, j'ai bien indiqué qu'il fallait ajouter les exentions aux images enregistrées, mais rien n'y fait.

J'attends votre aide...

Merci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We apologize for the issue you are facing with Photoshop on macOS Catalina.

The issue you have mentioned in known with the current version and is being worked on by our developers.

Please check the below mentioned link.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Saving As when trying to save as different filetypes? I'm on a newer Mac running the latest Photoshop CC and recently upgraded to Catalina - Here's the issue:

Working with a standard layered .psd file, I go to "Save As" and access the dropdown list of filetypes. No matter what filetype I select as the new destination filetype, the document retains a .psd filename. I may be provided further export option screens pertaining to that new filetype (.pdf export options, .jpeg export options, etc), but the file still saves as .psd.

Less than a week ago, the filename would automatically change to fit the type of file I was selecting to save as (.pdf, .jpeg, etc). now, in order to truly save as that new filetype, I have to manually type in the suffix. It's not a HUGE problem, but a new one and does slow my workflow and cause confusion nonetheless. 

Adobe, please address this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the thread? As stated above, it is a known issue on Catalina https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on the newest version of Photoshop CC, I noticed when I have, a psd file for example, and I select "jpeg" from the drop down menu in the "save as" dialog box, the file does not change the file extension to the correct format.  I have to manually type .jpg for it to save as a jpeg.  I never had to do this before and was wondering if anyone could provide some insight or a solution?  

You can see in my screenshot I have "jpeg" selected and the file name still remains as .psd 😞

The files are already RGB/8 bit, so I'm not sure if there's anything else I should be looking for.  I tried with different types of files as well, help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Succede la stessa cosa anche a me dopo aver istallato l'ultimo aggiormamento. Anche camera Row ha dei problemi se nel pennello indichi cancella appena inizi la cancellazione riscatta applica e non riesci a cancellare. Speriamo che aggiustino.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your using macOS Catalina 10.15, then the file extension issue is known to adobe.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try File > Export > Export As > JPG.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem(((, I hope it will be fixed quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 64 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD FirePro D500 3 GB
Mac OS 10.15 Catalina.

Can anyone out there assist me with an aggravating change in Photoshop, either arising from the last Photoshop update or upgrading to Mac OS 10.15 Catalina. For some annoying reason (in a workflow I have been running for many years), Photoshop has stopped saving files out to other formats?

My RAW editing starts in Lightroom Classic CC. Once I have taken the file to where I want it, additional edits are done in Photoshop CC. In Lightroom preferences, I have the external editing set to TIFF.

Once the file is exported into Photoshop as a TIFF file (Command E), I cannot save it out as a JPEG, or any other format for that matter. Any attempt to 'Save As' brings up the save as box. If, for example, I change the format menu box to JPEG, the file extension in the file name doesn't automatically change. If, as in this example, I continue with saving, the JPEG options box appears; I save the quality and baseline standard—click OK, and the file saves out as a TIFF file? In order to save a JPEG file, I now have to change the file extension in the file name manually?

This aggravation happens in any Lightroom export to Photoshop—PSD or TIFF. I have tried bypassing Lightroom and opening a DNG file in Photoshop CC Camera RAW. The same problem—can not save the file as a JPEG.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ged, it's appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been glitches since I updated my Mac to Catalina. When I save a file it doesnt change the last three letters (.jpeg, .png, .pdfwithout me manually changing it. Even though the next screen indcates the file I saved with the prompts that are shown. But on my computer no change was made from the orignial .psd. 

Also when I open my files through Open they dont down load like they used to I have to open a file several times before they actually open on photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file naming problem sounds like the first Known Compatibility Issue in this Adobe article about Photoshop and Catalina:

Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

That means they know about it and are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving out from Photoshop previously, changing the file type (say, from Photoshop to JPEG) in the save dialog box, would change the corresponding file extension (in this case from .psd to .jpg). However, in Catalina, the file extension stays the same, regardless of the file type selected, so that changing a Photoshop file to JPEG keeps the .psd extension. 

This change of behaviour, which is presumably a bug, is resulting in files which should be a JPEG, but now have the wrong file extension, requiring subsequent manual changing, and a state of confusion, as I no longer know if a file is REALLY a photoshop file or a JPEG with the incorrect extension. 

This is MASSIVELY annoying. Is this likely to be fixed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An additional, and equally annoying, save dialog box issue in Catalina, is that previously the file name MINUS the extension would be selected ready to change to a new name. Currently, the file name PLUS the extension is selected, meaning if I reflexively start typing a new Save As name, it wipes out the extension. In conjunction with the issue above, and with hundreds of files I need to save out from a photoshop this is rapidly becoming aggravating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue in Catalina. One of several. If you don't want to share the pain of the other early adopters, consider rolling back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, so far as I know you can simply avoid the confusion by typing the extension right there in the save dialog. No need to rename, or problems from forgetting to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm being forced to do, however, the issue is over a decade of muscle memory, using Photoshop every day, and a known-issue bug tripping you up every time, forcing me to second guess myself (did I change the extension manually? Did I change the extension but also change the file type...?) I have literally hundreds of files to save today, different file sizes with different names, different file formats, so each of these second guesses, occasional backtracking and more, adds up to a lot of frustrating time wasted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the level of aggravation, it may well be worth the effort of rolling back this (perhaps unwise) upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no easy way to roll back Catalina... stuck with it for the time being...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this too. Contacted Adobe, and was told all I can do is wait for a Mac OS upgrade to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines