• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Dragging layers between files is not working in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag and drop of layers between files is not working.

I'm dragging a layer from an RGB file to a CMYK one and it's not working.

It used to be in past versions.

I'm on the latest version:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.1 20200716.r.265

Mac OS Catalina latest version: 10.15.6

Anyone knows how to fix?

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-51596}

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce the issue, please provide a more detailled description of what exactly you are doing – are you using tabbed view for example? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither can I

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As other have mentioned, I too am unable to duplicate the issue. I suggest resetting your preferences, and if that doesn't work then I would uninstall and reinstall the application.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted a reply before, with screenshots, but it disapeared...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same B.S. answer to everything. Every time there's an update, major issues pop up out of nowhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What issue are you having? The issue on this thread was addressed in 21.2.2. The current version is 22.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Have you checked if the layer is locked?

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Yes, and it's unlocked.

In a previous post with screenshots, I've found out that:

If the files are consolidated in the tab, dragging doesn't work.

If the files are tiled side by side, it does work, just like JJMacks reply.

My post was erased or did not upload at all. I feel that the creative cloud is all over today, so I'll try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that I had found out while trying to find a work around for this is if instead of dragging by the layer itself, you select the layer and than drag from your image instead, you're able to get that layer into another tab. Super strange that works but dragging from the layer doesn't. 

So if we wanted to bring layer 2 over to another doc, select that layer but mouse over the image and click and drag to the new tab. This was the only solution I've found aside from having them open side by side or copy pasting the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works for me as well, but not if you need to drag a folder between documents. However this works if the documents are floating separately and are not placed as tabs (consolidated as you call it).
It's an important feature to be able to drag a complete folder between tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here are the screen shotsScreenshot 2020-07-21 at 15.08.18.JPGScreenshot 2020-07-21 at 15.09.24.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not seem to work in CC 2019 or CC 2018 either should it?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJMack.

I've been doing this for as long I can remember, because we do product renderings that need Post-production.

We have a PSD file with all the necessary basic effects done, and we drag the new render to it.

It's just weird it stopped working overnight. But as long I have a workaround (using the files side by side), I'll be fine.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.x Does not seem to Switch Document in consolidate tabs when you hover over a tab like prior PS. Is that  the problem you are seeing.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly!

Since it doesn't switch documents, I can't drop anything between docs that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have reported that here.  Its beem reported to Adobe. Adobe has made no comment version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-another-document-doesnt-work-anymore Was report only 12 Hours ago 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue.  If the two files are in the same window, I cannot drag one layer to another document.  I have been doing this for years so this is absolutely something that has arisen in yesterday's 21.2.1 release for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working for me either.  If I undock the document I want to drag into it works, but not the way it has worked forever ... until now ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. It seems to be a glitch in the new version of Photoshop 21.2.1 that was recently released. It worked flawlessly until the new update. Photoshop 2020 has been one of the buggiest releases in a long time. The update fixed several other issues while creating a host of new ones.The only workaround I can find is to separate the documents from the tab bar into side by side tiles, then the drag and drop feature works, just not when they're connected to the same tab bar. Very annoying as dragging and dropping layers is a large part of my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not only on mac its an issue in the 21.2.1 update its been reported in this user forum several times and also reported to Adobe on their feedback site.  I expect the Adobe will fix this issue some time in the future perhaps the next update.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue, but not exactly the same. I am trying to drag a group from one file into another (with a 2-up window arrangement, so I can see both documents simultaneously). The group appears in the layers panel inside the file I want it to, but it does not show up in the artboard itself (can't see it, and layer options like blending mode, opacity and fill are all disabled/unavailable). When I try to transform the group, the bounding box is visible but again, the group and everything within it are completely invisible. True for dragging individuals layers as well. Screen recording of this issue here: https://www.loom.com/share/f00767eacd1145f0aa864c5c181fdcd2

On top of that, tried a workaround of File > Place Linked... and another similar but not exact replication of the issue. The file appears as a linked layer in the layers panel, but is invisible on the artboard/canvas itself. Technically, it creates a blank white object, so in this case, is visible, but again, not dislaying the artwork, just blank white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot.jpgYou have the images tiled, but not separated. Pull one of the images off
the tab bar and then it should work. See below. I have my "Autums Leaves"
fle pulled away from the main tab bar.

I hope this helps!
[image: Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.23.55 PM.png]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is even worse. I hope the developers adress this very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didnt see if this was mentioned, but a User named Mark Lee on the photoshop family site accidentally discovered a workaround and I can cofirm it worked for me on dragging layers from one document to the other.  For some reason if you right and left click and drag the layer (or I assume group) to the other tab, it will switch to the new document to drop.

I would absolutely consider this a temporary workaround and hope Adobe doesnt consider this fixed.  

Of course I am on a PC with a two button mouse, so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines