• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Dragging layers between files is not working in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag and drop of layers between files is not working.

I'm dragging a layer from an RGB file to a CMYK one and it's not working.

It used to be in past versions.

I'm on the latest version:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.1 20200716.r.265

Mac OS Catalina latest version: 10.15.6

Anyone knows how to fix?

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-51596}

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same issue and just deinstalled the newest version and installed the former 21.2.0 and it worked again, immediately.

What were the new features, again? I hadn't missed anything, except that Photoshop should run stable and not steal my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, can't drag a layer to another window after the new update. It only works if the window is not consolidated to a tab

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Windows10Home64-bit/IntelCorei7-4810MQ CPU@2.80GHz/16GBRAM/NvidiaGeForceGTX880M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the dragging layer issue on another document. We're are aware of this issue and our engineering team working is on the fix. In the meanwhile, you can try one of the following workarounds:

• You can right-click on the layer > Select Duplicate and choose the destination.
  • Arrange the image windows side-by-side, then dragging will work. Window > Arrange > 2 Up Vertical.
  • Using the Move tool, drag the layer from the Canvas.
  • Dragging from Layers panel to the image tab using both mouse buttons

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next month I will pay the subscription with pottery, then you can try  to change it for cash at the bank. Just as a workaround.

Meanwhile I will donwload a "no so latest" version of Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been wonky issues with the last few updates to photoshop. Dragging layers within the layers tab will sometimes show a ghost image of the layer being dragged further away from the actual mouse cursor (sometimes like 5 inches away) and you can't tell where it is going to go exactly... BUT now after the 21.2.1 update today I can't drag a layer from the layers tab to another open file. If I grab a layer and then drag it on top of the other file's title as ususal it never acknowledges the mouse is over the file and does not switch to the other document as it should. There is definately something really buggy with the layers tab... I can still however click and drag a layer from the actual main file window to another file and it works but is a pain to get the right layer sometimes or to move multiple layers at once. I have reset my preferences and that did nothing, also legacy compositing is turned off (last update Adobe turned it on which made other layer ghosting issues)... Windows 10 (2004), Newest Nvida driver... I am sure others must have the same issue... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as a long time Photoshop user, I am in agreement with you about the last two updates not being up to par. I have had very good luck with CC updates for some time now . . . until lately.

And, as you predicted, others also have the same issue with dragging layers after today's update. I am no longer able to drag a layer from the layer's palette of one document to the tab of another open document. Previously, a brief hover would change focus between tabs, allowing you to drop the layer onto a second document. Now, no long how long I hover over the recipient file's tab, it never draws focus so I can drop the new layer on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If legacy compositing is checked in your PS Preferences remove the check mark.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not checked, in my case, and still unable to drag layers normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes hovering does not switch documents in 21.2.1.  I edit in floating windows. But I just tested 2019 and 21.2.1 in consolidated tabs, 2019 switch documents and 21.2.1 does not. Adobe broke Legacy Compositing in the 21.1 udate you get ghosting if you try using it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, updated yesterday. Job I was working on came back with revisions. It did do that ghosted drag behind the mouse as you explained 1x then I couldn't get it to do anything. Had to go back to 19 to get this function to work. Mac Catalina 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same happening here... Now I know it's not only with me.

C'mon Adobe, back it to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are editing in consolidated tabs there is a issue. 21.2.1 is not switching between documents when you hover over a tab so you can not drop the layer on the other document. Drag and drop works you just can not use it in consolidated tab mode with that issue.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find a temporary workaround on accident... If you hold down both the left and right mouse buttons and drag from the layers tab then it works as expected but that is too much work... lol... If you are one of those Mac one mouse button'ers you may be SOL. 8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice find...I am on a Mac but I use a two button Logitech mouse so I'll be using this solution until Adobe gets this fixed.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Droping layers on documents is not a problem if you edit in floating or tiled windows.  21,2,1 is not switching document in consolidated tab mode. The dociment is the window is not being switched when you hover on a tab so you can not drop the layers  on the document you want to drop the layers on. The document with the layer remains as the active document being displayed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me in Windows! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So strange this worked for me as well! My solution was instead of dragging from the layers, you select the layer and drag from your image instead. Both ways a slight extra step but simple enough work arounds 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, dragging and dropping layers from the panel between consolidated tabs doesn't work. Dragging and dropping the items from the artboard between to a new document tab still works, as a temporary workaround until they fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me, I hope they get it fixed quickly. The copy and paste option might be helpful for people that don't have several windows open, but for me, it's a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should not be a drag and drop problem when you use  multiple windows the problem use when you use tabs and the image view is consolidated into a single window.  21.2.1 is not switching document being displayed when you hover over a tab which make it impossible for you to drop layers on an other document. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand all about how drag and drop is not working in consolidated tabs, I'm using the copy/paste patch now, but it's taking a lot of extra time that I don't like wasting. I use 6-8 windows in consolidated tab format at a time, sometimes more depending on the project. I need Photoshop to fix drag and drop issue, we have been able to drag and drop since photoshop 8 I believe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem has been reported to Adobe user here can not fix Adobe code the Ball is in Adobe's hands now it up to then to fix or not fix this. I believe they will fix it within a few months.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I hope they get it fixed quickly"

The more folk that add to the linked bug report the more it raises the profile.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just chatted with an Adobe support tech (07/24/20).  She told me they are aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next update.  Unfortunately, she could not give me an ETA on that update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines