M: Photoshop 2020 File name bug when saving a replacement of an existing file

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej! The old photoshop behaviour used to be that when you save to overwrite an existing file it asks you to confirm that you want to replace it, you say yes, and the old file gets overwritten. In the latest version if you click "replace" it still does not replace the file, but adds "copy of" text at the end after the fact without any way to not do that. Please give us an option to have the old behaviour, or change it back to how it used to be by default.

Topics

Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as well. This is the issue I'm experienccing:

File saved as divider.png.
Make edits and save again as divider.png.
Photoshop says a file with that name already exists , do you want to replace it?
I say Yes.
Photoshop says :  Could not complete your requeest because of a program error. 

PLEASE FIX THIS. It's so frustrating and makes me want to cry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstal this photoshop version and then reinstall again. I'm sure it will work.

SunNy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, it is driving me crazy

any news?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whever is managing this thread on adobe's end doesn't seem to understand that this is a bug. Here's a video I took showing it happening clearly. In the video, you can see me select to replace the file. See the window ask if it's ok to be replaced, then see that it makes a new copy instead.

VIDEO OF BUG:

https://youtu.be/VtgVzzMDhog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here ... Catalina 10.15.5 and PS 21.1.3 ... annoying as f**k. Any news on a fix?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Leepar LATEST
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, so they fixed it a few months ago and now with the update, here we are again not able to save over files!@@!!!! I can't work like thisv!!!!! Arrrrrgh Adobe please sort this out immediately. This is basic stuff that is requierd for every use of the app. This is unusable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also finding it impossible to overwrite a file.

I can only save "As a copy" or save as "Layers". It won't let me uncheck both as I used to since forever.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines