Highlighted

M: Photoshop 2020 File name bug when saving a replacement of an existing file

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej! The old photoshop behaviour used to be that when you save to overwrite an existing file it asks you to confirm that you want to replace it, you say yes, and the old file gets overwritten. In the latest version if you click "replace" it still does not replace the file, but adds "copy of" text at the end after the fact without any way to not do that. Please give us an option to have the old behaviour, or change it back to how it used to be by default.

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

M: Photoshop 2020 File name bug when saving a replacement of an existing file

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej! The old photoshop behaviour used to be that when you save to overwrite an existing file it asks you to confirm that you want to replace it, you say yes, and the old file gets overwritten. In the latest version if you click "replace" it still does not replace the file, but adds "copy of" text at the end after the fact without any way to not do that. Please give us an option to have the old behaviour, or change it back to how it used to be by default.

TOPICS
Bug, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 25, 2019 6
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not seeing the issue here with Photoshop 20.0.7 on Windows 10, save replaces the file as normal with the same name

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I should have mentioned it is on OSX Catalina.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop, version 20.0.7 update has a number of fixes, one of which was related to saving files on Catalina

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is version 20.0.7, which fixed the file name ending bug, but not the file replacement bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report bugs over on the Adobe Feedback Forum

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now I have two bug reports.... 🙂

I tried to sign in to that forum, it pops up the Photoshop family sign in, it accepts my signing in and says "You have successfully signed in. You may now close this window.", but then I have to sign in again. I also tried with the Facebook sign in, same result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested and I was able to sign in without issue

2019-10-25 10_38_18-Photoshop _ Photoshop Family Customer Community.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 11.54.42.pngScreenshot 2019-10-25 at 11.54.53.png

First I get the "sucessfully signed in", and when I close it the dialogue below is still visible. Using Chrome on OSX.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Apple Safari.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES !  We have that same problem, my colleague and I.

Both Catalina and both with the latest CC updates.

I will report it as suggested below.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe as well and they told me that I just need to wait for the next Photoshop update which should eliminate this issue.  Until then, we just have to deal with it I guess.  There was no timeframe as to when it will be fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a PSD file and done a save as JPEG file, which works fine the first time.  However when I edit the PSD and try and resave the JPEG it also creates a copy of the JPEG file.  To say this is annoying is an understatement.  Is this a bug?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is save As a copy checked?

Annotation 2019-10-31 082514.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but greyed out.  But that's been the case forever when saving a PSD as a JPEG.  But now it saves copy after copy after copy, rather than overwriting the existing JPEG already saved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sounds like you're on MacOS Catalina if so it's a known issue and has been reported more info

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop/File-name-bug-when-saving-a-replacement-of-a-an-existing-fi...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, I am... But I was led to believe 20.0.7 fixed this issue.  Have had to revert to 20.0.6 until another fix is released.  One would think their software engineers would be a little more thorough in the checking of their fixes, to ensure their fixes don't cause new bugs. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue that was fixed in version 20.0.7 was "Checking "As a copy" does not append “copy” to the file name"

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Upgrading to a new MacOS has always been troublesome with Photoshop among other apps, it was the same when Mojave came out, Adobe fixed an issue that Apple caused only for Apple to brake it again with another update to Mojave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fair enough, it happens will all OS updates but correct me if I'm wrong, software developers have access to these OS changes way before release, so it's fair to assume they can bug hunt BEFORE release, or is it just left up to the people who's livelihoods rely on stable software to identify the problem?  

When saving from PSD to a flat file format, Save as Copy is ticked and greyed out, giving us NO CONTROL of the problem. And as far as I'm aware, 20.0.7 fixed the issue where the file extension was not changed when selecting a different format.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well updating to 2020 did the square root of bugger all with this problem...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same probklem since upgrade. Very problematic when working with Indesign - automatic update of links don't work. As a book and magazine designer, this is my staple. Its like going back to Quark days...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue - REALLY frustrating. Save as Copy is grayed out and can't even be deselected, been doing this exact process for years and now it just doesn't work randomly. Not cool Adobe, please fix ASAP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be fixed as per 21.0.3 update. For now anyway...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot deselect save as copy on jpgs, pngs—any output—even if electing to overwrite existing file (to be clear this is when the systems asks to overwrite the existing file and you select YES. It does not. Not at all. Not like it used to) creates a new file as copy regardless. In other words this is forcing Save as Copy. It cannot be deselected. This is a bug. Please fix. This has been causing extra work per file when saving output over previously Save As output (something we have all done for decades without issue until now).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 5
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you run the latest Photoshop update? It directly addresses save as issues caused from the Catalina OS.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about this, as you're not able to deselect save as copy, could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop you're working on? You can verfiy the version by going to Help > System Info

Also, have you tried resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes and actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It fixed the .ext bug. But then introduced this new one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.7 20191017.r.87 2019/010/17: 1208010 x64

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 21.0.2 and have the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your Apple System Preferences/Security and Privacy to make sure Photoshop has access to your HD?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Gave it full disk access.  Even tried to change the permissions on the file to global read/write access.  No luck.  I also discovered that even if I rename the file, select a any other extension, or save anywhere else, it still tries to save "As a copy."  (However, if the filename doesn't exists, it does not append the " copy" text to the file's name.)

save_as_example.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your screenshot - is this a location you have named "temp" or is this a system/app folder?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a folder I created on my Desktop and named "temp."  Not a system folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a similar thread here. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/saving-as-copy-instead-of-overwriting/td-p/10691659#bodyDis...

From your screenshot, you'll need to uncheck the "As a Copy" setting. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem.  It's greyed-out.  You can't uncheck the box...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this? Its really annoying to work around this 200x a day ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as well

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried after installing the latest Catalina update (macOS 10.15.3)? This is driving me nuts and wasting enough time that unless there's a fix I'm thinking it's time to downgrade to Mojave.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 10.15.3 - the problem still exists.  (PS 21.0.3)

😠

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

Mac version 10.15.2

PS version 21.0.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

macOS version: latest

Photoshop version: latest

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2020 0
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to be clear here, Are the files that you are trying to save from (the open file) have more than one layer? If so you cannot save it other than a file that supports layers (psd tif etc). You will need to flatten the layers first.

/G

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, Also if there is transparency, even if the file has only one layer. You can save as a png in that case but not a jpg with out the "as a copy"...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant, yes the file has layers, and I've just tried flattening the layers as you suggested and it now saves over the original jpeg rather than creating a copy.  This seems very counter intuitive as in previous versions you could just select 'save as' and overwrite a previous version with the same name without having to flatten your psd file first. Any idea why they've changed this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 1
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Ian,

i believe you are mistaken regarding how it worked in previous versions (especially the last 8 years or so).  I cannot remember even a version that did it as you suggest. I am sure there could have been this way many many versions ago...

/G

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

thats just not true I'm afraid.  Its only since I updated to Catalina in the last month or so that this has started happening.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems odd to me ... i cant remember it any other way than described by Ian  ... im used to press the save as shortcut and overwrite jpgs in one go for 15 years

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 4
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not when there is more than one layer in a PSD bud. I will go to one of my old MACs that has CS2  on and check that over weekend. But has been this way for a long time and has nothing to do with Catalina.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 0
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's be perfectly clear on this.

iann wrote:

"yes the file has layers, and I've just tried flattening the layers as you suggested and it now saves over the original jpeg rather than creating a copy. This seems very counter intuitive as in previous versions you could just select 'save as' and overwrite a previous version with the same name without having to flatten your psd file first."

This is normal and expected behavior and in fact, it cannot work any other way. It's impossible, for the simple reason that the jpeg specification does not allow layers. Photoshop does not discard data without notice. That never happened.

End of discussion. Those who remember otherwise are mistaken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Photoshop version 21.0 and the bug is still there (on OSX 10.15.1).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 21.0.2 and the bug is still there.

Example:

Save a file as myfile.jpg

Try to save the file again as myfile.jpg, and it saves it as myfile copy.jpg

Now, try and save it a third time as myfile.jpg, this time it saves no file at all, since myfile copy.jpg already exists.

I want it to save the file as myfile.jpg every time like in the old versions of Photoshop.

(I tried to post on the thread that Alison created for bug reporting, but I am still unable to log in there despite using the correct login. It says "you are now logged in and can close the window", but I am not logged in... anyway, fixing this save bug is more important than this problem with logging in to the bug report forum.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2019 1
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem started after I updated my system to Catalina (10.15.1) and PS (2020). I'm on a Mac. 

When I have a PSD file open and I want to save a flattened jpeg of it (as a copy), my normal practice is to SAVE AS, and select Format: JPEG, and check the AS A COPY box. I usually want to overwrite an old file/version, so it asks if I want to REPLACE, I say yes, REPLACE as usual, which should overwrite the old file. What is happening now is, it saves it as a copy and adds "copy" to the end of the file name, keeping the old file as well. 

This is new, it never happened in the past. And it must be a glitch, becasue it asks if I want to REPLACE, but doesn't replace the file. Is there a fix for this? I JUST updated my PS, so I'm up to date with the very latest, V-21.1.0 

And this doesn't happen when I SAVE FOR WEB. I'm able to overwrite with that option, which is strange. 

PLEASE HELP!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We are sorry about the experience with Photoshop file overwrite issue. This is a known issue on macOS Catalina and our product team is currently working on a fix. 

Please add your vote to the issue and follow the progress here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-saving-copy-not-saving-over-jpg-fil...

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost a year has passed and it's still not fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum. We know it's not fixed and we are annoyed too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on 21.0.2 on Calatina (2019 MacBook)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made sure Photoshop is setup in Apple System Preferences/Security and Privacy to allow access to the HD?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Gave it full disk access.  Even tried to change the permissions on the file to global read/write access.  No luck.  I also discovered that even if I rename the file, select a any other extension, or save anywhere else, it still tries to save "As a copy."  (However, if the filename doesn't exists, it does not append the " copy" text to the file's name.)

save_as_example.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020 0
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue with MacOS Catalina and Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej Johan, do you have any information about when this will be fixed? The problem have been there since at least release 20.0.08.

(Also do you know anything about when the filter -> noise -> reduce noise bug that crashes photoshop [not every time but often enough] will be fixed? I have had to downgrade Photoshop due to that.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that this doesn't happen on Windows (just tested to be sure) indicates it's more up to Apple than Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try turning on Legacy Compositing before you downgraded? That addresses the noise bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The legacy mode did not solve the problem. I tried that, I tried turning off the graphics card switching also.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0