• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Photoshop CC 2020 won't save in macOS Catalina.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2020 and Mac OS Catalina (I know, I shouldn't have updated my OS, but it's extremely hard to revert to an older OS and only Photoshop is giving me issues).

Mostly, my copy of Photoshop works; however, whenever I go to save a document, nothing happens. Neither save or save as do anything tangible. However, when I go to exit the application a window does pop up asking me if I want to save my work. If I click yes, nothing happens--the document does not save. The only way to close Photoshop is to discard my work. In a final twist, if I open an existing document--even from a few weeks ago--I'm able to save changes to that .psd file. 

Is anyone else having similar problems?? Saving is like the most basic function of any program and I would love to be able to use it.

[Moderator note: PS-48663]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Photoshop is included in both Accessibility and Files and Folders on my Mac, so I'm pretty sure it's not a security issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have reinstalled Catalina and PS 2020 and checked the security settings with no luck! I have posted here before with no luck. PS 2020 is useless without New, Save and Save As functionality! I reinstalled PS 2019 and have no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad that helped you!! Unfortunately, PS 2019 has the same problems for me 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, therefore, the problem lies with Catalina...

Where are you trying to save, do you have all the privileges for that folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I believe so--since the dialogue box doesn't even show up for saving it's hard to tell but yes I do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is Catalina. I have Catalina too but I have no trouble saving any of the work I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue! Photoshop simply will not save. 

Without any warning, usually on a large file which I have been working on for about an hour, it stays at 0% with no ability to save the work that I've done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issues. I've been searching for weeks for the best way to fix it-even tried completely wiping everything from adobe and re-downloading it and now all I have is a headache. I need this program for school, and now with it being the week before finals, I need it more than ever. I used to work, but then something happened and I don't know how to fix it. It's extremely frustrating and I just want it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, which exact version of Photoshop is it? 21.1.2? check in help>system info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I was having the same problem and I finally fixed it. I reverted back to an older version (Photoshop 21.1.1) and then updated it to the current version (Photoshop 21.1.2) three times and it finally returned back to normal so I could create New, Save, and Save As.

I do not know if this is a long term solution or a short term solution because I cannot afford to spend more time then I already did today. My problem occurred after a Mac OS update and a Photoshop update. I hope this helps others struggling!

My device:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Mac OS Catalina (10.15.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to an external drive formatted as ExFAT? There is a known campatability issue with Catalina that we are working with Apple to address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Savingdoesntcompletewhensavin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I'm fairly new to Photoshop, so I assumed I was doing something wrong, but it appears I'm not the only one experiencing this. When I try to save (or "save as"), nothing happens. No pop-up, no nothing. And I'm just trying to save it locally on my MacBook Air, not an external drive or anything like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having trouble reproducing this issue. If you (or anyone else) is experiencing this issue, will you please email me directly (snielson at adobe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried replicating the issue, but now it's saving just fine. All I did was close out Photoshop and open it back up again. Unfortunately I lost the project I was working on, but it was fairly simple so it's not a big deal. I did take a screen recording of when I was having the issue though if you'd still like me to send over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having the "Save" and Save as" issue. I dont know if there is resolution or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are experiencing this issue, engineering would like to get a sysdiagnose report.

Briefly press the following keys simultaneously to trigger a sysdiagnose from the Finder:

Command + Option + Shift+ Control + Period (.)

Note: The screen will flash/dim when you press the keyboard shortcut. The sysdiagnose process can take 10 minutes to complete. Once finished, a window should appear automatically in the Finder and the sysdiagnose file there will look similar to this:

sysdiag.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue. Cannot save .psd. Can export as .png. If I open a jpg, I can save that as a jpg but not as a psd.

Sysdiagnose is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1avH46t7AbXuOlJ6oy80SFZCyAdy666pr/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a joke????

It stops at 99% whenever the memory fills up. 

Fine... but allow me to cancel and save my work! 

Each time it compresses my image into this visual throwup, with no trace of all my work. Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 12.46.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to an external drive formatted as ExFAT? There is a known campatability issue with Catalina that we are working with Apple to address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Savingdoesntcompletewhensavin...

Apple and Adobe engineering would like to get a sysdiagnose report.

Briefly press the following keys simultaneously to trigger a sysdiagnose from the Finder:

Command + Option + Shift+ Control + Period (.)

Note: The screen will flash/dim when you press the keyboard shortcut. The sysdiagnose process can take 10 minutes to complete. Once finished, a window should appear automatically in the Finder and the sysdiagnose file there will look similar to this:

sysdiag.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I do not get a choice of drives to save to, when I save as it does nothing.  

I did a sysdiagnosis, does it auto upload to Apple/Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't automatically upload. You can post on CC files or dropbox and email me a link (jtranber at adobe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recieved a sysdiagnose file from someone, it might be you but the email addresses don't line up. If it was you, thank you. I'll see if these yield any good info. My impression from my Apple contact is they want it at the time of the problem (when saving is failing) - so if you hit again, try and get another log. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wanted to point out a note with they sysdiagnose: "Just saw your forum post responding to someone who has problems saving their files. I'm also having that trouble, and did earlier today, but I just restarted and it's saving again so this sysdiagnose might not be helpful? I click the button and it does nothing. The computer doesn't get hung up or anything. It lets me continue editing, but I can't save. I also notice that I can't get into my security and privacy tab in system preferences until I restart the computer as well."

This points to our suspicion that the problem is a damaged tcc database. I will try and report back as soon as I have more info from Apple or our engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue intermittently since updating Photoshop CC to 21.1.3 on macOS Catalina 10.15.4

I'm saving to desktop and have checked all permissions.

When it occurs I Can't Save As, Save or Export. sometimes I get the colour wheel (egg timer) as though it's trying to do something then just end up back at the cursor with no popup dialog box. Once this occurs only way to resolve is to quit photoshop resulting in lost edits and work 😞

All was working ok on same setup before latest photoshop update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines