• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Photoshop CC 2020 won't save in macOS Catalina.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2020 and Mac OS Catalina (I know, I shouldn't have updated my OS, but it's extremely hard to revert to an older OS and only Photoshop is giving me issues).

Mostly, my copy of Photoshop works; however, whenever I go to save a document, nothing happens. Neither save or save as do anything tangible. However, when I go to exit the application a window does pop up asking me if I want to save my work. If I click yes, nothing happens--the document does not save. The only way to close Photoshop is to discard my work. In a final twist, if I open an existing document--even from a few weeks ago--I'm able to save changes to that .psd file. 

Is anyone else having similar problems?? Saving is like the most basic function of any program and I would love to be able to use it.

[Moderator note: PS-48663]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi qwerty1212asd,

When this occurs, can you access the Privacy tab in System Preferences? There are few things at play here with changes to the OS and Photoshop - so we're working with Apple to track this down. 

Can you get a sysdiagnose for Apple when this occurs? Instructions here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/m-photoshop-cc-2020-won-t-save-in-macos-catalina/m-p/111283...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello- any timefraome on when this will be resolved? It si not allowing me to save, only export but not as a psd file, only jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emraphoto, in order to get it resolved, one needs to provide the requested information to Jeff's questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently living this hellish problem.... Lost hours of work, multiple times.
I just did the key command, and I'm waiting on the report.

Report is READY.  Where can i send it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the report uploaded to a google drive. You can request access to download once ready.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O_slFO1Wh4I6FGYOErbRF2uBPFO_diP0/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I was out last week. Requested access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Latest version PS on Catalina OS 10.15.5. First time save to volumes on server goes well but a second save (overwriting them)… NO WAY! Have to save to desktop and then copy saved file to the right destination on server. Frustrating! …and time consuming 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. "Save" or "save as" doesn't work, doesn't do anything... Very frustrating. I found the following workaround: open another photoshop file, created a while ago; drag all layers to it, then save as a new file. Not an elegant way, but at least allowed me to save my work. I hope Adobe will fix it soon, this is a major one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here Started last week. Thought if I let the machine rest over the weekend it would work. None of my other Adobe apps have the issue. Reinstalled CC, Catalina, obviously photoshop and tried a dozen work arounds. To no avail. Now 5 days behind on work. And no, this is not a screen rwesilution issues where the window is hiding somewhere etc. The window/dilaogue box simply doe snot shpw up when the command or menu option is selcted to save as or start a new project etc. There has to be some news/resultion about this. It's an obvious issue. Has anyone isolated what can be causing this? thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem, which is weird since I just used PS this morning and I was able to open an old file, edit it, export it to PNG and save my newly edited file. 

Can't tell from this thread whether the sysadmindialogue thing from many posts ago (I can't look up the exact name right now because it's on a previous page) was only for people saving to an external hard drive? or is it for everyone having this problem?

Moreover, I can't figure out how to create an independent post relating to this problem, so I'm just "replying" to the previous post. Yes, I'm signed in... but I digress...

Would love a resolution to this problem so I can get back to work! I'm going to try restarting everything and hope it automagically goes away. Just like the coronavirus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone on this thread still having trouble with not being able to save with the latest version macOS 10.15.6 and Photoshop 21.2.1? If so, reminder to provide a sysdiagnose for engineering to better investigate: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/m-photoshop-cc-2020-won-t-save-in-macos-catalina/m-p/111278...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still seeing this issue, please confirm you are running the latest version of macOS (10.15.6 or later) with the current version of (Photoshop 21.2.1 or later). If so:

1. Are you able to export a png using export as to the same location you want to save?
  2. Are you able to see the save dialog or does it fail when you try and save?
  3. If you can't save, are you able to open the "open" dialog or the new project dialog, or is it just save.
  4. Can you provide a screenshot of your privacy preferences E.g. this onesecurity.jpg
  5. In your terminal, if you run /usr/bin/log stream --debug --predicate 'eventMessage BEGINSWITH "AttributionChain"' Then attempt to save.  This will write a log to /usr/bin/log stream --debug --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TCC"' Engineering will need a copy of this log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently updating to Big Sur - hoping this will help because Nathen than saving ps is destroying the files - poof-tv static 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing this issue too. Photoshop 21.2.1. MacOS 10.15.6

1. No

2. No dialog visible

3. No. Can't open "Open". Error message: "Could not complete the Open command because of a program error."

4. Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 14.34.47.png

5. Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ijdpfe3ah1dnv0/adobelog.log?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9vmmh0bbh0t916/adobelog2.log?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The log isn't showing any permissions/access problem.

See if there a file called "PSErrorLog.txt". Its location on your system is as follows:

macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop <version>/PSErrorLog.txt

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. I ran a sysdiagnose  but don't know what to do with the information it yielded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem! I can't save any new documents. I can't find a fix anywhere 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...I'm having the save problem as well. Running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 as well as the latest Photoshop 2020 build. (Just installed today) This bug is intermittitent for me but becoming more consistent and happening more frequently. Have there been any solutions discovered yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here.  Can't wait to replace Photoshop.  I can't afford the unrelaible performance any longer. 

When I launch, home screen is blank black screen (Adobe can't figure it out)

Save / Save As do nothing

All these new AI neural filters but the most basic function is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue; no dialogue box.  Running Catalina 10.15.7 and Photoshop 22.0.0

Just lost an hour's worth of work.  Don't have time to run your debug program.  Adobe, please fix ASAP or send workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it, but I’m not sure which approach actually did the trick.

I tried everything, and I mean everything.

* Deleted preferences and custom work spaces
* Renamed the UXP folder
* Uninstalled and reinstalled
* Uninstalled Creative Cloud
* Removed any/all cloud documents
* Dumped P Ram on MAC

Nothing. Then yesterday I opened an image in Lightroom and then under the EDIT option i chose “Edit In Photoshop 2021”. It opened correctly and then I saved. After that I closed down and relaunched......back to normal. I don’t get it. But I lost a week.

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voila!  Thank you for that.  I tried it and it works.  Both on the file exported over from LR, and also on a file created in PS.

Strange problem, but Adobe needs to get on top of it.  Sorry you lost a week; I was frustrated enough after an hour's work lost!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem! If you are also able to save existing photoshop docs then there is one work around that will allow you to save your work in the mean time so you dont loose anything important that you are in the middle of but is in no way a perminant solution:

Find an old photoshop doc that is the same dimensions as your current one, right click>duplicate in finder, then open the copy in photoshop, delete everything, copy and paste all existing layers from current project into old copy document. I did that and now can save the work i was in the middle of but I now have to go through that same process everytime i make a new ps document which is rediculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this workaround doesn't work for me. Nothing does, not even Save. Adobe how do the most rudimentary functions like "Save and Save As" get screwed up?
Photoshop 21.2.3 on a Mac. OS Catalina 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct "Save" does work. "Save as" does not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines