• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome. I hope this works for you, also!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!! Thanks very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get Photoshop to open at all. It just keeps crashing. I'm on a Mac running OS Catalina. I have WORK to do. This is freaking me out. I think I still have 2019 installed on my laptop and may have to use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install previous working version 21.2 by opening CC Desktop App. Select Photoshop from the list of installed apps. Click on three dots on the right side of the panel. Click on Other versions and install other verison of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've got the same problem. I'm getting the error: Could not complete your request because of a program error. This happens when I click on any task. I can't even close the program. I had to use Windows task manager to close it. 

I think I've got it working for now. I unchecked "Use graphics processor."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you uncheck "use graphics processor"?

--
Leslie Bigos
206-963-6474

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is crashing it's not showing error message for me, it opens but with layers and brushes panel out of whack and I'm unable to do anything with them, when I hover over mininise or any of the selections ( file edit etc ) they disappear, can still click them but things dont work properly files dont open and it ends up crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabled GPU, now i can open old psd and other files, but i can't still create a new file and i can't close PS (generic error display). I need urgently to work now. Can i install previous PS release? If so, can you give me a link that explain how i can do this? Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had the same problem, turning off the graphics processor in preferences worked for me (my PC is probably 100 years old). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry for the trouble with Program Errors in Photoshop 22.0. Our team is currently investigating this issue. In many cases, this Program Error shows on systems with older graphics cards. Since the GPU requirements increased with Photoshop 22.0, older graphics cards may not be supported. If your graphics card is not supported, you can disable it from Photoshop’s Performance preferences. 

To continue using graphics acceleration, upgrade to a more modern graphics card. For more info on this and other issues, see Known Issues.

Thanks,

Mohit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this already - does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated t0 V22.0 and everytime I try to open a new or exisisting project I get the following message 

Adobe Photoshop 

Could not complete your request because of a programme error. 

If I change general settings to " Use Legacy "New Document" Interface" it opens but crashes 

Just tried this method again and it is giving the same error message as above 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked, kinda

The graphics card is at its most upgraded - so where does this leave me?

Do I need to buy a new graphics card? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What GPU do you have, if it's pre 2016 you may need to as per Photoshop GPU FAQ

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to open a particular psd file and I quickly need to edit to send to a client. I have tried the unlock library and suggestions found but these are not working please help asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What exact version of Photoshop do you have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the perferences and it seems to have solved the problem.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't remove perferences because Photoshop can't be closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit,

I tried to follow your troubleshoot, but I'm also getting an error message when I try to exit Photoshop. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work around didn't work for me.  Maybe you guys should regression test basic functions before shipping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We deserve update about the situation and I think we deserve a gift from Adobe because is unbelievable that every year we pay for the subscription and there's such a serious problem that it doesn't allow us to use the program... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines