• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strongly agree...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There wasn't any ALLERT for PCs that had old GPU. It's umbelievable... 

My subscription include FRESCO but i can't install because my hardware doesn't support. 

There aren't any updates or information for days.. Only replies from user all with the same problem.. You know the problem and you let update Photoshop anyways. 

You should stop 

SOLVE THE PROBLEM AND GIVE US A REFUND for us all this time with this problem are lost money!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Gennaro0101

Agree 100%. It's a disgrace. And Im SICK TO DEATH of all the people pleased with the "SOLUTION" of switching off their GPU. This is not a solution, and worse, it doesn't work for many of us, myself included.

By my reckoning these threads have been live since at least the 12th of october, it's now the 5th of November, are you people at adobe moonlighting as election vote counters?

DO YOUR JOBS and stop filling these threads with the "SOLUTION" of switching off GPU. Insult to Injury.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Gennaro0101, I'm sorry the temp solution of turning off GPU didn't work for you. I understand your frustration, but to say your sick to death of hearing from those people whom it did work for is quit selfish. 

But, I must say, your comment about them moolighting as election vote counters was clever. I hope Adobe fixes this mess soon so you and everyone else can get on with their work. 

🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy for the people for whom the workaround works. But selfish? No. Selfish is a multi-billion dollar corporation leaving a flawed update of their software as a live download knowing that it will cripple a small but significant % of their users. No attempt at a bug fix 4 weeks in now, and counting. Privileging their profit over our livelihoods - THAT is selfish...and frankly worthy of a class action suit. In the industry I've heard the term 'studio killer' used to describe people or products that are inept to the point of dangerous - and this 'update' is very much a 'studio killer'. Install at your peril.

I'll note that Adobe STILL haven't done the one thing they could to to restore functionality to their users, namely to allow us to install CS6 (which I own and which installs on the damaged machine and which works, unlike any of the later versions). If they chose to they could add that back to their legacy install options. 

They don't care about us, or our livelihoods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A well made point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do agree with you that Adobe is being selfish. For them, it's all about the almighty dollar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I think I will eventually adapt and purchase an updated display device, however I agree with those who think this has been caused to induce thousands of users to do hardware updates. As far as I'm concerned I have to keep using Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two machines, one a laptop ($4500) the other a wacom studio pro ($4000). updating hardware isn't an option for either.

PS seem to be throwing people like me under the bus. 

Let's just say I'm not looking at replacing my hardware, I'm looking seriously at replacing Adobe. Don't think I'll be getting the full CC annual any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Could not complete your request because of a program error”
unchecking graphics processor fixed, but Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annnd, I can't even close the program (yes I disabled the graphics processor).
Windows 10, I have to close Photoshop in Task Manager... ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you disable the graphics processor? My LG Gram is only 8 months old and I can't open files or close the program. I've never had to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS, go to Preferences/Performance/ then switch off GPU.

It helps some people, but not all. They're delighted just to be able to USE the program again, but it's just a hack workaround - disables stuff like scrubby zoom, makes the program run slower, and the fancy new AI squibs won't be usuble (the whole point of the upgrade, in other words). 50% chance at best this will work for you, but again, a crude workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, the problem is an older GPU that Adobe no longer supports. Instead of disabling GPU Acceleration like Camera RAW does, the Photoshop team left a bug in that makes Photoshop throw errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can't be right.  I just bought my computer brand new, less than a month ago, and I am having the same issues.  Even fixes that have worked for other people are not working for me at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me an email at sympa@adobe.com we are actively triaging this issue. So far all of our reports have been from users with much older hardware. If you are reproducing with something recent this could be the signal we need to learn more about the root cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estou tendo problemas com a ultima atualização do PS, que não abre nenhum arquivo e nem fecha o programa, por favor tenho trabalhos urgente para entregar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reset Preferences, reset Camera Raw preferences, unchecked Graphic Processor.
all Windows 10
Can open any file, can't close the program (must use Task Manager)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deste a atualização , não consigo abrir nenhum doc.

o que fazer ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're aware of the Program error issue with Photoshop 22.0. Our engineering team working on the fix, in the meanwhile, you can refer to the available workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

We really appreciate your patience with us.

Thanks,

Mohit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on a deadline with the same issue, I pay for the service. I don't want a workaround. When I am a paying customer, I expect a quality product for which I am spending my cash on. Please keep your updates in beta until you are sure you aren't creating issues for hundreds of online businesses at the present moment. I'm sorry to be a grump....but this happens every time an update is on this product. Someone has to say, keep your updates in beta longer til your bugs can be patched. Us paying customers want a quality product we can use...not one we have to do tech support to work with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reinstall 21.2.4 and use that for now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree. Why give us a Beta program to be used in production environments? Just to coincide with MAX?? I have a compatible GPU in a 1-month-old Asus Pro-Art Studio 17" notebook, and whether I have GPU turned on or off, the problem persists.

I have customers that aren't going to wait for some bug in Ps to be fixed, and who can blame them? They want results, not excuses!

I have moved my workflow to a competitor's app, where it is running perfectly. Adobe, you are really pushing your luck. The competition is just as good, and in several areas, offer better functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines