• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Akash,

Still not working. Did everything and it still crashes when I try to open any JPG file. It works fine with PSDs and the new neural filters, but the problem only showed with jpegs since the beginning. And I get no error messages, just a plain and simple crash.
My PC config is:
intel Core i7-2600 @3.4GHz
16 GB DDR3
GeForce 1650 Super with 4GB GDDR6
3 HDs and 1 SSD

Please give something to work with!
Regards,

Luiz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Photoshop 2021, disable the graphics processor in Preferences > Performance.

You are using a GPU which is not supported which is causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling the GPU worked for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic answer! Thank you so much. Solved it right away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - this did it for me.  Fresh install on Windows 10 after replacing the motherboard/cpu/ram on my system.  Weirdly the graphics card is the same as before, and never had this issue with Photoshop before, but this totally solved my issue.  Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the 2021 update, Lightroom wouldn't allow me to enable the GPU because it was no longer supported but Photoshop continued to allow me to enable it (which I thought was strange).

I found out the Photoshop was simply just ignoring my GPU if it wasnt supported and didnt display the error. Now Photoshop has decided to report the error which doesnt give any clues to what the issue is (instead of greying out the box like Lightroom does).

Thanks Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled the graphics processor. It let me load an image, but I could not save it. AND, the only way I could exit the program -- 2021 -- was to use task manager and kill the process.  What's more, in Creative Cloud under compatibility, I have a green arrow next to "Works on this computer." 

I was just able to "reinstall previous version" -- which yesterday was not there and I have 2020 back and working fine.

Kelvin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have the lastest update for Photoshop v 22.0 and it won't open or close files even if they are new. All it says is "Could not complete your request because of a program error." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with version 22.0.  I have tried to open a number of files that the Windows Photo Viewer can open but I get the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to do anything in Photoshop 22.0 - I updated to this version just last week. I'm on a Windows 10 machine. I can't create a new file and I can't open any files. : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even quit the program, either with the File menu or Close Window from the task bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I have been dealing with this error issue for over a week! On chat with Adobe...waiting to talk to someone. Never did connect me to someone so I looked for help here. You gave me the info to fix it myself! Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lightroom.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just (1PM PST 11/3/2020)  got the new update and have updated my graphics drivers and pulled the preferences folder out so it made a new one.  It still does not open an image, but does not provide the error message any more.  I still cannot quit with the X box or the File menu-I have to use the Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open the Preferences window from the Edit menu.  Nothing happens when I click on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to bother everyone but looking for some help if poss 😞

Here are my steps..

Select FILTER-STYLIZE-OIL PAINT (not grayed out) but getting the following error on completing the changes...."Could Not Complete the Oil Paint Command because of a program error"

Any Ideas please

Thank You in advance

Best Regards and Stay Safe ...Sam 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! That worked! I appreciate the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: Is there any plan to update Photoshop 2021? With all these program errors that are occurring it would be great if Adobe addressed this, with an update!!! Until then, I'm forced to stay with PS 2020. I have ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon Pro 560X OpenGL Engine detected in Performance. What would Adobe recomend to set my prefernces to so that I do not have these program errors whne trying to open files in 2021?! This was not never an issue in PS 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mi meraviglio del fatto che a tutti sembra normale che questo nuovo aggiornamento abbia causato cosi tanti problemi. Mi meraviglio che ogni volta la prima soluzione proposta è disabilitare il processore grafico, secondo voi è una soluzione??? Per me non lo è, è una presa in giro! Io lavoro con il vostro programma e " pago " per utilizzarlo e deve funzionare anche il processore grafico. Ho cambiato due schede video in due anni ogni volta per lo stesso problema: l'aggiornamento! Ora addirittura un nuovo Pc con Ryzen 3950x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, 64 gb di Ram, Asus Geforce RTX 2070 Super da 8 gb e non posso lavorare con la nuova versione sia Photoshop che Lightroom, in più ritorando alla vecchia non c'è più la possibilità di recuperare i cataloghi perchè corrotti, nemmeno la teleassistenza prima in italia e poi all'estero è riuscita a risolvere il problema, è una vergogna. Chi mi paga per i cataloghi persi? per il tempo perduto? Ora volete che compri uno shuttle per lavorare? Dopo aver speso 3000 euro di macchina nuova?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pienamente d'accordo.... Io ho un configurazione molto più vecchia ma non è possibile che è un mese che siamo in questa situazione.... È vergognoso... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Se non risolvono questi problemi in tempi decenti, mi recherò presso uno sportello per la difesa dei diritti dei consumatori, per vedere legalmente cosa si può fare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error. I installed the older version. It opened my file, let me work for a few minutes, then kicked me out without the possibility to save what I did.

The thread is from the 20th of October, today is the 7th of November. More then half of the month is now gone. I pay a monthly fee. How can I get a repayment for non-availability from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same error when I use the hand tool. I thought I had too many files open, so I closed Photoshop and re-opened it, with the same error. I got unnerved, so I Googled the message for a fix. Then, I found this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error with the Pan (Hand) tool. It is unusable. How long do we wait for an update to this mess? I am using a competitor's software now, as I have customers who don't care ab out program bugs. THEY WANT RESULTS! Adobe haven't dropped the ball on this one, they have lost the ball!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! I downloaded also something else... Learning now, and waiting a few days to see if I can get used to it. If yes, goodbye... Shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines