M: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

2 Correct Answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021
Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021
Hi all,   1/29 update: If you are up to date with Photoshop 22.1.1 and still encounter Program Errors after performing the listed troubleshooting steps. Please do the following: Install and enable the Program Error Diagnostic Plugin Reproduce the Program Error Paste the error details to the following community thread: Program Error Diagnostic Plugin feedback     We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.1.1 which includes the fix for Photoshop 22.1.0: Program Error using Spot Healing tool and using Select and Mask...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020
Sympa Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020
Hi there. Apologies you're experiencing this issue. I know it can be very frustrating when a tool you need does not work the way you expect or when you need it to! I would be upset too in a similar situation. I am an engineer on the GPU team and would like to help you triage your issue.   I saw that you mentioned you are using an Nvidia Quadro 600 which is a video card from 2010. Unfortunately this is a very old card that we no longer support. If you want to keep using this card I would recommen...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
850 Replies 850
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Há 3 dias eu perdendo arquivo e atrasando trabalho.... Bjo na bunda de quem descobriu a sacada dos bits... mas Adobe, querida, arrumando em 3... 2... 1... pq não tenho espaço em hd pra tudo isso não!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estou com o mesmo problema, alguns elementos dentro do arquivo não deixa eu salvar, dá esse erro de programa, mas seu eu excluir o arquivo da camada e tudo mais, eu consigo salvar, muito estranho!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

muda o arquivo de 8 para 16bits q o resolve o problema....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eu estava com o mesmo problema...o único jeito de solucionar foi ir em >>IMAGEM >> MODO > e colocar 18BITS POR CANAL

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try and save as any format it says 'Photoshop could not save ________ because of a program error'. Have lost & had to redo my work three times now.

I'm on MacOS Catalina and Photoshop is fully updated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: it now wont even let me crop images due to a program error.

I can't get any work done until this is fixed, so frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is list with known issues https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

Perhaps you can not meet new system requirements https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I was wondering if any of you guys you know any legal actions available for this situation. I just lost my client and my job because the program won't save a project I spent an insane amount of hours developing so Im considering lawyering up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear that happened, I hope you nail them. It's cuased me a lot of frustration as well.
What I found works: Merge any layers you can, and turn off visiblity on all layers. Then save as PSD and hopefully it saves. If it does, open it on a different computer and see if it will export as the right format.

Best of luck to you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to fix it. Basically the exact same thing happened to me. So turn the view off everything and save it as a photoshop file then competely quit photoshop then open the document you saved that shows to be blank then you turn visibility of everything you want back on then you are able to save as JPEG or whatever you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me saving progress in a .psd, until I had to get to the point where I needed that image in a different format. Whatever is going on with my system, at least, I got an error message no matter what I tried until I reverted to the previous version of PS. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same error 😞

I post yesterday but my post has been deleted ...

Today, it's the same, I work with layers and, depends on what action ??? impossible to save my work and I have to inspect and deselect each layer to discovert wich one create Photoshop error saving.

It's very very difficult to work..

My Apple Mac is a 16" pro one, with Big Sur 11.0.1 v(20B29)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this thread that provided a workaround (not ideal) solution in turning off layers and then saving. Try and see if that works. I'm not posting as a permament solution but rather a way to test where the problem is:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/quot-can-t-save-file-due-to-program-error-quot/td-p/9691658...

If you can save turning off layers, we can look at other options.

Other tests- 
* Create a new PSD file with multiple layers (very simple content) and save. If it saves, we know it is something in your file.

* Create a copy of the PSD file (outside of Photoshop as a backup), then open one copy in Photoshop, delete one layer and then try save. If it doesn't save, revert to the orginal and delete another layer and try save. Repeat for all layers. If you can save when a specific layer has been removed, tell us what's happening in that layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help but I found that when deselecting some layers (the right ones...) it's ok.

But, now, at a moment, I can't export file as PNG : nothing happen when I export as PNG. It works and I can export as PNG, from the same PSD file and, at a moment, nothing et no error, no popup, nothing to tell me that it doesn't work but no PNG files are created...

So, I change my way of working... no choice... I save as much often as possible and, when I export as PNG file, I verify that it works via FINDER. If not, I join all layers, I export as PNG (it works) and I cancel the join to be able to go on working on my file ...

I'm waiting for a new release !!...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@XavNancyFrance - How are you saving the PNG?

What happens when you try:

- File > Save As and choose PNG.

- File > Export > Quick Export as PNG

- File > Export > Export As... - then choose PNG as the format

- File >  Export > Save for Web (Legacy)...- then choose PNG as the format

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

- File > Save As and choose PNG.

OK, it works.

- File > Export > Quick Export as PNG

>The regular popup is ok, I click on "Save", the popup disappear ... but no created file

- File > Export > Export As... - then choose PNG as the format

>The regular popup is ok, but there is a photoshop error, see below

- File >  Export > Save for Web (Legacy)...- then choose PNG as the format

OK, it works.

Capture d’écran 2020-12-13 à 08.27.32.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you anymore about tests because I've just uninstalled this 22.1 version.

I re-installed the 22.0.1 version.

Thanks to you for your help @Dean_Utian 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@XavNancyFrance - Wish you all the best with your work and hope you have better results with future PS updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to Save As and create another file, does that work? 

Where are you saving your file to?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter what file I'm working with - the error comes up every single time. I have also tried saving to multiple different locations and it does the same thing.

I have seen people on twitter saying the only 'fix' is to revert back to before the latest upgrade.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a recent discussion thread below with many people reporting the program error issue when saving.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-cannot-save-file-due-to-program-err... 

There is no solution from the above but some users have found hiding layers does allow files to be saved. Does this work for you?

It has an Adobe Administrator looking into it in the above discussion. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Reverting back to the previous version solved all my issues! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Same here! The "not saving" program error just started today, but for the last week I haven't been able to use the sky enhancement feature because once used, it won't allow me to convert layers to a smart object or merge layers. Extremely frusting. I have already unistalled the program and reinstalled, twice. This is getting rediculous.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... it's driving me crazy ! i've resarted my computer, downloaded photoshop 2 times, and it's getting worse. My clients are waiting and i can't work...  We are paying for something that doesn't work, when will they fix it???? 

If you have any tips in the meantime ? i've tried everything already in the different conversations... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines