• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vwillendorf - this is definitely NOT a result of renting / cloud. The whole reason given for cloud was more frequent updates/support, the opposite has been the case. Essentially they've dumped an unfinished product on the market and those of us unlucky enough to download it are stuck with it. I note that the previous version (cc2020) didn't see my gfx card, and still doesn't, so that's a version I cannot use at all. CC2021 is of course even worse, as it just crashes after 30 seconds.

So you have the latest available version 2021.1.1, so yes that's the one with the 'bug fix'. Either it will work for you or it won't. From my brief interactions with the programmers there's more than one issue being tackled, so it's a coin toss if they'll ever solve the problems affecting any given user.

Unless you really need the whizbang AI features in the latest PS, I'd undelete 2021 and try to reinstall 2020, see if that works. They won't let you install older versions using the cloud desktop app, but if you download the installers from this site:

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-version-control.html

you should be able to install cc2019, 2018, even as far back as CS6 (which is the version I now have to use, thanks to Adobe's greed and incompetence.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pensi di essere l'unico? Siamo a migliaia ad avere problemi con la nuova versione di Photoshop 2021, e nonostante gli aggiornamenti continua a non funzionare, solo la 2020 funziona bene. Se la situazione continua, personalmente non rinnoverò l'abbonamento. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, do you have any lucky?

I tried the provided steps, but NO LUCK 🙂

Something similar happens a little ago and it gets getting more frustrating, don't you think?

Please let me know how you could fix this

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already tried to convert the file from 8 bits to 16 bits. I did that and I didn't have the problem again (it's been a while).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry adobe, problem still exists even when i delete the prefs. cannot save files due to programm error. usually happens when i work with smart object but also during other tasks. other problem: when i try to zoom, then it doesnt zoom, it kind of warps the whole work area. happens when i use multiple canvas. working on mac mini 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already tried to convert the file from 8 bits to 16 bits. I did that and I didn't have the problem again (it's been a while).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buonasera,

da qualche giorno, utilizzando alcuni degli strumenti presenti nel programma, compare il seguente messaggio di errore "Impossibile completare la richiesta poiché si è verificato un errore del programma."

Chiaramente ciò non mi permette di utilizzare alcuni strumenti come il pennello correttivo o il pennello correttivo al volo.

Potete per cortesia suggerirmi come procedere per risolvere il problema?

Grazie mille!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you're getting a program error while using some of the tools in Photoshop 2021. 

Would you mind sharing when exactly are you getting the program error? What all tools are you encountering the issue with?

Please note that there is a known issue with Photoshop version 22.x related to Program Error and our engineers are working towards a fix.

In the meanwhile, would you mind checking the workaround mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/program-error-opening-psd.html and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Akash,

I tried some solutions indicated in the community but after some minutes the error message comes back.

This problem affects the healing brush tool and the spot healing brush tool and it's not possible for me to use them.

Could it be a good idea to uninstall a install again Photoshop?

Thanks a lot for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If none of the suggestions have helped, back up your preferences/settings folder then roll back to the previous version of Photoshop (either 22.0.1 or 21.1.4)

See Revert to the previous Photoshop version

Thanks, 

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hai già provato a convertire il file da 8 bit a 16 bit. L'ho fatto e non ho più avuto il problema (è passato un po 'di tempo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v22.1 crashe, impossible to Quit , prompte impossible action error program.

the v21.2.4 perfectly work on this machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that Photoshop is crashing and  you're getting a program error while using the version 22.1.

Please share the version of  your computer's OS. Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Are you getting the same message as mentioned in this discussion?

Link: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-221-program-error-when-saving-lag-w...

If so, please let us know if the steps shared by our engineers helps resolving the issue.

Also, see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles 

Thanks, 

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please share the version of  your computer's OS. Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

I did it and its the same .....

But I am waiting an other graphic card, I will try it and I report to you

Thank you a lot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have been silly enough to allow Adobe to auto update my application.

This has resulted in talking the latest Photopshop version (22.1.0) and now crashed when ever I try to print.

Even time I select “print” Photoshop closes.

paulf19269042_0-1609980790456.png

Tried 20 different documents with the same result.

Increase memory allowance and turned off the graphic processor

paulf19269042_1-1609980790461.png

What a joy to work late the night before to meet a deadline and you can’t even print your draft the next day.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.1.0 20201125.r.94 2020/11/25: 4b16c876033  x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.18362.1110

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:13, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3600 MHz

Built-in memory: 32721 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

If none of the suggestions in the article have helped, back up your preferences/settings folder then roll back to the previous version of Photoshop (either 22.0.1 or 21.1.4)

See Revert to the previous Photoshop version

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this happened to me when I tried saving files and it turns out it was because of my external hard drive. I had to save to my computer instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So unfortunately you can add one more artist to the pile here that is having this issue. I'm now looking at this file I've been working on for a while now.. and there's no way to save it. I don't want to close it either. This is pretty serious.. it needs to be fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new document and select everything and drag it onto the new doc. save to desktop. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desde que instalei o 2021 estava com esse problema, vim em busca de solução aqui, dai vi que meu PS estava em 8bits.
Foi só mudar o padrão pra 16, que voltou a funcionar normal. Agradeço pelas dicas que vi aqui !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a couple of months by now can you please fix this I'm still not able to even open Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing in on FOUR months now. This goes back to October. 

Either they can't fix it (incompetent) won't fix it (malevolent) or combination of. I also wonder if everyone working remotely because of COVID has exacerbated it. Not an excuse mind. We should have been given refunds if Adobe gave a rats about their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and please note that this thread is still marked SOLVED. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

I think they expect us to buy new hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive a program error any time I try and save.
I have tried every available older version back to 21.2.4

I receive the same message every time.

Is this a Mac Big Sur problem?  It sounds like some PC users are experiencing this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already tried to change the file from 8 bits to 16 bits. This solution worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines