M: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

2 Correct Answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021
Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021
Hi all,   1/29 update: If you are up to date with Photoshop 22.1.1 and still encounter Program Errors after performing the listed troubleshooting steps. Please do the following: Install and enable the Program Error Diagnostic Plugin Reproduce the Program Error Paste the error details to the following community thread: Program Error Diagnostic Plugin feedback     We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.1.1 which includes the fix for Photoshop 22.1.0: Program Error using Spot Healing tool and using Select and Mask...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020
Sympa Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020
Hi there. Apologies you're experiencing this issue. I know it can be very frustrating when a tool you need does not work the way you expect or when you need it to! I would be upset too in a similar situation. I am an engineer on the GPU team and would like to help you triage your issue.   I saw that you mentioned you are using an Nvidia Quadro 600 which is a video card from 2010. Unfortunately this is a very old card that we no longer support. If you want to keep using this card I would recommen...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
835 Replies 835
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always keep a workstation with a older known working version of photoshop. I make a living doing this so i have to always have a backup. I keep one machine with newest upgrade and a second machine with a older known working version. I also do this with my OS. my current version os is macOS Mojave and PS 2019.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea but I can't find PS 2019 on the Adobe Cloud. I have to admit the new update has got some issues even with new hardware.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also running into this issue. Im using Windows. This is incredibly annoying. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the newest update of Photoshop (22.1) and have lost a ton of time over the past two weeks trying to work around and fix the issue. Hiding all layers other than background as previously described here allowed me to save progress on my work, which worked okay until I tried to Export the file (I tried several ways) or create a copy using Save As. Any way that I tried, this resulted in the same "unknown error" message. This morning, I reverted back to version 22.0.1 and turned off automatic updates to Photoshop, and that has seemed to fix the issue so far. This is incredibly annoying for such an expensive service, considering not being able to save consitutes a pretty catastrophic failure of the program. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Tried the troubleshooting Adobe recommended. Nothings works to stabalize except turning off layers before saving. The upgrade has been nothing but a joke, garbage. Can't believe I'm paying for this...smh...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not fixed. You are illegally charging people for Photoshop while the program is not working and it is not allowing me to do my job. Fix this soon or lawyers will be contacted if this continues to jeopardize my job and not be addressed. Contact me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doing a prefs delete might be useful here. Sometimes bug fixes like this won't take without starting over. It's never fun to have to do it, but often you don't have a choice. 
Go into Prefs>Reset on Quit, then restart Ps.

Win10 v20H2 :: i7-9700 :: 64GB + m.2 :: Nvidia 2070 8GB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still exists after the update and its that bad i cant use the program at all.
So im very glad i still have PS 2020 on my PC and use for the time being that one

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound like rambling to you, but for me, it is struggling to form the right question.

I have so many problems with Adobe Photoshop 2021 (I don't know what update I have, but I did update last week.) Is this usual? Does it go hand in hand with "renting" Photoshop? Are you not finished with it yet? These are sincere questions. I began using Photoshop with Photoshop #3. I illustrated a book with it! I have updated Photoshop all along. The last Photoshop from a disk I used was Photoshop CC. (Or  whatever the last version on CD was.) and there was never a problem or at least never a problem that was bad enough to remember.
But I've had constant problems with Photoshop since it became only a downloaded item. I have to know if this is somehow my fault, or is everyone together on these problems?
So here is my question, and maybe I should ask the forum. Do I delete the version of Photoshop that I have currently before I download Photoshop 2021.1.1 or are the corrections to the program just added on? I thought I downloaded the latest version, but the problem was still a there-the problem with the program problem interfering with opening a new file even though I have just opened Photoshop.
I would really like a reply to the question about the continuous problems I have are normal that everyone has, or is it just me?
Thank you for reading my note, and answering it if you can. Just a short note will do.
Sincerely,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vwillendorf - this is definitely NOT a result of renting / cloud. The whole reason given for cloud was more frequent updates/support, the opposite has been the case. Essentially they've dumped an unfinished product on the market and those of us unlucky enough to download it are stuck with it. I note that the previous version (cc2020) didn't see my gfx card, and still doesn't, so that's a version I cannot use at all. CC2021 is of course even worse, as it just crashes after 30 seconds.

So you have the latest available version 2021.1.1, so yes that's the one with the 'bug fix'. Either it will work for you or it won't. From my brief interactions with the programmers there's more than one issue being tackled, so it's a coin toss if they'll ever solve the problems affecting any given user.

Unless you really need the whizbang AI features in the latest PS, I'd undelete 2021 and try to reinstall 2020, see if that works. They won't let you install older versions using the cloud desktop app, but if you download the installers from this site:

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-version-control.html

you should be able to install cc2019, 2018, even as far back as CS6 (which is the version I now have to use, thanks to Adobe's greed and incompetence.

Hope that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pensi di essere l'unico? Siamo a migliaia ad avere problemi con la nuova versione di Photoshop 2021, e nonostante gli aggiornamenti continua a non funzionare, solo la 2020 funziona bene. Se la situazione continua, personalmente non rinnoverò l'abbonamento. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, do you have any lucky?

I tried the provided steps, but NO LUCK 🙂

Something similar happens a little ago and it gets getting more frustrating, don't you think?

Please let me know how you could fix this

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already tried to convert the file from 8 bits to 16 bits. I did that and I didn't have the problem again (it's been a while).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry adobe, problem still exists even when i delete the prefs. cannot save files due to programm error. usually happens when i work with smart object but also during other tasks. other problem: when i try to zoom, then it doesnt zoom, it kind of warps the whole work area. happens when i use multiple canvas. working on mac mini 2014.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already tried to convert the file from 8 bits to 16 bits. I did that and I didn't have the problem again (it's been a while).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buonasera,

da qualche giorno, utilizzando alcuni degli strumenti presenti nel programma, compare il seguente messaggio di errore "Impossibile completare la richiesta poiché si è verificato un errore del programma."

Chiaramente ciò non mi permette di utilizzare alcuni strumenti come il pennello correttivo o il pennello correttivo al volo.

Potete per cortesia suggerirmi come procedere per risolvere il problema?

Grazie mille!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you're getting a program error while using some of the tools in Photoshop 2021. 

Would you mind sharing when exactly are you getting the program error? What all tools are you encountering the issue with?

Please note that there is a known issue with Photoshop version 22.x related to Program Error and our engineers are working towards a fix.

In the meanwhile, would you mind checking the workaround mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/program-error-opening-psd.html and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Akash,

I tried some solutions indicated in the community but after some minutes the error message comes back.

This problem affects the healing brush tool and the spot healing brush tool and it's not possible for me to use them.

Could it be a good idea to uninstall a install again Photoshop?

Thanks a lot for your support!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If none of the suggestions have helped, back up your preferences/settings folder then roll back to the previous version of Photoshop (either 22.0.1 or 21.1.4)

See Revert to the previous Photoshop version

Thanks, 

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hai già provato a convertire il file da 8 bit a 16 bit. L'ho fatto e non ho più avuto il problema (è passato un po 'di tempo).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v22.1 crashe, impossible to Quit , prompte impossible action error program.

the v21.2.4 perfectly work on this machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that Photoshop is crashing and  you're getting a program error while using the version 22.1.

Please share the version of  your computer's OS. Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Are you getting the same message as mentioned in this discussion?

Link: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-221-program-error-when-saving-lag-w...

If so, please let us know if the steps shared by our engineers helps resolving the issue.

Also, see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles 

Thanks, 

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please share the version of  your computer's OS. Would you mind deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

I did it and its the same .....

But I am waiting an other graphic card, I will try it and I report to you

Thank you a lot 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have been silly enough to allow Adobe to auto update my application.

This has resulted in talking the latest Photopshop version (22.1.0) and now crashed when ever I try to print.

Even time I select “print” Photoshop closes.

paulf19269042_0-1609980790456.png

Tried 20 different documents with the same result.

Increase memory allowance and turned off the graphic processor

paulf19269042_1-1609980790461.png

What a joy to work late the night before to meet a deadline and you can’t even print your draft the next day.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.1.0 20201125.r.94 2020/11/25: 4b16c876033  x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.18362.1110

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:13, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3600 MHz

Built-in memory: 32721 MB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

If none of the suggestions in the article have helped, back up your preferences/settings folder then roll back to the previous version of Photoshop (either 22.0.1 or 21.1.4)

See Revert to the previous Photoshop version

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines