M: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

2 Correct Answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021
Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021
Hi all,   1/29 update: If you are up to date with Photoshop 22.1.1 and still encounter Program Errors after performing the listed troubleshooting steps. Please do the following: Install and enable the Program Error Diagnostic Plugin Reproduce the Program Error Paste the error details to the following community thread: Program Error Diagnostic Plugin feedback     We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.1.1 which includes the fix for Photoshop 22.1.0: Program Error using Spot Healing tool and using Select and Mask...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020
Sympa Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2020
Hi there. Apologies you're experiencing this issue. I know it can be very frustrating when a tool you need does not work the way you expect or when you need it to! I would be upset too in a similar situation. I am an engineer on the GPU team and would like to help you triage your issue.   I saw that you mentioned you are using an Nvidia Quadro 600 which is a video card from 2010. Unfortunately this is a very old card that we no longer support. If you want to keep using this card I would recommen...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
865 Replies 865
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted my files from 8 bits to 16 bits.

In fact, since the beginning of the year, when it happened for the first time, I did ... I see many complaining, even after the update, but I didn't have the problem anymore. So, I believe that Adobe should consider verifying if it does and, if it does, guide its users to do the same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eu tentei sim, mas sem sucesso. Ainda continua o erro, aí eu tenho que pegar e salvar um novo arquivo do mesmo, aí funciona. Fora isso não da certo.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voceê já tentou converter seus arquivos de 8bits pra 16bits? 
Eu fiz aqui, logo que esse problema apareceu. Nunca mais tive problema com meus arquivos no Photoshop. Tente.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fiz sim, mas sem sucesso. Eu tenho que salvar um novo arquivo do mesmo projeto, fora isso, não funciona, infelizmente. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac with Big Sur and Photoshop version 22.2

If I open a file from my Synology server and make an adjustment and click "save" - it gives me a pop up that says it can't save due to a program error and yet it makes another file in that location starting with "Adobe Photoshop" followed by a bunch of numbers. However if I click "Save as" and name it something else to the same location it will save just fine. If I try the same thing to my desktop it has no problem with saving without the need of clicking save as. Person in the same office as me has the same basic setup and he does not have this problem. I don't think I had this problem until about half a year ago.

-Also here are the things I've tried:
Deleted all versions of Photoshop and re-installed the latest version

Restarted Computer

Relaunched finder

Turned off "Use Graphics Processor" in Performance preferences

Turned off "Save in Background" in File Handling preferences

Any clues what it could be?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated, I've had this problem on and off since Oct. Now it won't even open the file or even close the app!

I found a workaround which meant turning off the GPU setting, but then I cant rotate the canvas, and even if I turn it back on when working, open GL is greyed out therefore won't work!

It's the ONLY app I'm paying for right now and it's been buggy as hell since Oct last year. it REALLY interrupts my workflow and sets me off in a foul mood before I've even picked up my Wacom pen

At the moment, I'm getting more done in procreate, and I've already moved onto Affinity for InDesign and Illustrator replacements due to cost....

at this rate, I might make myself cancel this sub, get my own portfolio site up and running I barely use the fonts ... the value for money has gone down. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3rd time uninstalling and re-installing.  what is the solution here?  can't find the solution...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wesley5E8A_0-1614909749384.pngWesley5E8A_1-1614909779311.png

Wesley5E8A_3-1614909897054.png

I have deleted this and redownloaded it, and this keeps happening to my Photoshop.
I am posting all three photos to show that once I open it, the system looks fine, and when I select how big I want it to be, it will be fine, but the moment I go to use the program, it jsut turns to all lines.
I have updated my photoshop and this just doesn't work for me. It allows me to still click the top bars where you personally know where "file" is located in the upper left corner, then the upper right corner to exit out of the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this may be due to the graphic card driver with this version I suggest you remove this using the adobe remove tool then install 2020 try if that works fine for you then use it.

Regards

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that and see if it works, I will post updates if it works for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted it and went back to two different versions of photoshop, it did not work.
What I do know is that before this happened, when I was breaking down a set of layers into their own layer it gave my computer a blue screen. There were a total of six layers. Then after that it has been as we are seeing currently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my computer, because this didn't work at first until I have updated my computer. Thank you so much for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS2021: Open a jpeg file and when I select edit/sky replacement, I get following error message "

Could not complete your request because of a program error." Have tried unchecking "enable generator" in Preferences/plugins and also the edit/assign profile fix. I also restarted PS but I keep getting this error message. Please help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any update to this?  I am also experiencing the same issue....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Sky Replacement feature in Photoshop due to the Program error. Our product team is working on a fix for the program error. Meanwhile, you can try the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2JZDqZB

If the issue persists, please roll back to the previous version (21.2.5) of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2wH0JjE

Please uninstall the latest version of Photoshop first & select the option to Keep Preferences prior to installing the previous version.

Regards,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first when I followed the guidelines it still did the same thing, but I updated my computer to the current update that was needed around this time, and it fixed my issue. I still have not updated my Photoshop to the current one yet, but I say that if anyone else has an issue like this, see if your computer needs an update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines