Highlighted

M: PS 2020 missing Object Select Tool

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest release is 21.0.0. I got it by opening the Creative cloud app and clicking on "Check for updates." Some of the new features are there, the Object selection tool is not.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

v21 was released today.

If you have a custom toolbar , the update will not overwrite it. To see the select object tool - click on the three dots in the toolbar (or use Edit>Toolbar) and then Restore Defaults

If you have a custom toolbar , the update will not overwrite it. To see the select object tool - click on the three dots in the toolbar (or use Edit>Toolbar) and then Restore Defaults

If you have a custom toolbar then the update will not overwrite it. To see the object selection tool, go to Edit >Toolbar and then choose Restore Defaults.

Dave

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

M: PS 2020 missing Object Select Tool

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest release is 21.0.0. I got it by opening the Creative cloud app and clicking on "Check for updates." Some of the new features are there, the Object selection tool is not.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

v21 was released today.

If you have a custom toolbar then the update will not overwrite it. To see the object selection tool, go to Edit >Toolbar and then choose Restore Defaults.

Dave

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2019 3
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v21 was released today.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked! But I didn't restore the toolbar, just dragged the object selection tool to the toolbar and applied.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 1
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect solution! Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Is there anyone else here who is not getting the Object Selection Tool to show up in their toolbar?

I can't seem to find it anywhere, and it's definitely not under the selection-tool options in the toolbar where it's supposed to be.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I found out about the newest update with 2020 I was SO excited- installed it and am working my way through it, but so far it's just disappointing me. The 'Select Object Tool' I was looking forward to trying is absent plus it seems like they removed the Layers Type preview that had introduced in 2019 (which I adored). Any ideas?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain what you see missing on the type layers. I can still double click with teh move tool to edit text.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about the experience with Photoshop's latest update. Please have a look at this article to know about what's new: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Also, the Object Selection Tool should be listed with the other selection tools, you may try resetting the ttool bar and see if it helps. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/bringing-back-tools.html

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha! That fixed it- bless you! Thank you!!

On the Type layers, I misspoke- I should have said the blending modes for the layers- the preview feature they added in 2019 seems to be gone. 
TBH I'm always blown away by how much they do with each update and I was just disappointed on these two things (now one, thanks to Dave's wisdom.)  So much love for Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Layer blending mode previews is working here, whether I go up and down the list with a mouse or just use a scroll wheel in the layer panel box

If you are not seeing them, try a preference reset

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, you're two for two- I went into preferences and while I didn't change anything, it worked after opening it. I award you 5 karma points and you have my thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome - enjoy the new version

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave, for showing me how to find the missing Object Selection Tool!!  I'm glad I only five minutes searching online for an answer before logging in to the Adobe Support Community.  😄

Some time ago, I went through my Application Menu bar and hid a lot of the menu options, to make the menus less crowded and the commands I frequently use quicker to spot.  Today's conundrum has me wondering if there may be new menu options from v. 2020 that won't appear if I don't reset the menus. Do you know if this is so? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I`m sorry but I can`t find it anywhere..  the last version 20.0.8. is updated, but this tool is still missing. Do you have any other solution maybe?

thanks in advance and best regards

Izrezak.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2020 0
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version is v21.0.3 not v20.0.8.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the new 2020 Photoshop a couple of hours ago, and my Tools bar is still the old one.  I don't have the the new Object Selection tool, and who knows what else is missing.  Any word on this glitch??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 0
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking on the 3 dots on the tool bar to bring up the tools dialog. Then you can reset it. It might be hidden do to old preferences. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2019 1
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here with the same problem.  That fixed it.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try going to Edit > Toolbar and click on

image4.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did update and the new Object Selection Tool is not available. Went to Tool Bar and did a restore defaults and did a reboot but it is still not available.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

As the Object Selection Tool is not available in Photoshop, could you please try resetting the Toolbar and let us know if helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/bringing-back-tools.html

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Tried the same solutions as Duke_the_Nuke and the object selection tool is not available. Anywhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my refine edge tool is brutal. It is so bad it really does not work at all. What is going on??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im upgraded to PS 21.0.0 and the new Object Select Tool is missing from the tool bar. I've gone to Edit>Toolbars and it's there but it doesn't diplay in my workspace. I've tried Restore Defaults and resettng my workspace with no success. What am I missing?

PS Error.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now it's there! I feel foolish, but I'm a newbie and am just learning. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

\ I have now received the update to 2020 but when selecting I do not have the new option. greeting

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 0
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I assume you mean the Object Selection Tool, try going to Edit > Toolbar and click on Restore Defaults

image6.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OPgelost Gr.Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the Select Object Tool in the Toolbar (should be with the Quick Selection Tool & the Magic Wand Tool). I have read other posts about finding missing Tools with no luck.

• I just finished updating to Version: 20.0.7 20191017.r.87 2019/010/17: 1208010 x64
  • I have reset the Toolbar to default.

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Can anyone shed some light?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you visited Edit > Toolbar dialogue to reset or you did it in some other way? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - Edit>Toolbar. Interestingly, Select Object does not appear in the Customize Toolbar dialogue window, either in the Toolbar list, or the Extra Tools list.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to click on Restore Defaults even if tool does not appear anywhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading "What's New in Photoshop," I realized that I was missing all of the new features/tools. I ran through the update process, a second time, and now have the Select Object, etc., but now PS crashes every time I try to make a selection. I have submitted a crash report, but I'm hoping someone on the forum can help me figure this out today.
I'm showing a new version number now: Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.0.1 20191106.r.47 2019/11/06: 3152b481f18 x64.  Just to make sure that this is the right one, it depicts a child with a teddy bear, gazing out of the window, on the splash screen.  The hardware is up-to-date - I'm running PS on a new MSI laptop with 16GB of memory.  Very confused, at this point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences. By default they are carried forward from the previous version and any corruption can cause issues in a new version.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. The new tools are now working, after updating, again and resetting preferences. I suspect that my 2.4 connection may have something to do with updating. That being said, the Select>Subject now causes the program to crash, but I can live without it, since the Select Object Tool is so much better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I have tried all of the suggestions here. I see mention of resetting preferences to default also. I do not see a "reset to defaults" option under Edit>Preferences. Very frustrated as I have a job to finish on deadline and cannot get these tools to show. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 0
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In current versions it is Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit. Then click OK. Then close and restart Photoshop

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

watch my video, hope it will help

https://youtu.be/nLPY_SzUfdo

Sorry for the poor sound quality :) Missing Object Select Tool in Photoshop 2020. The Object Selection Tool is brand new as of Photoshop CC 2020. So to follo...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the current update all the new features are not showing up in the tool bar such as the new one under the quick selection brush. Do I have to activate it somewhere? I'm on a Mac

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you mean that you are missing the Object Selection tool, which shares space with the Quick Selection tool, then go to Edit > Toolbar and Restore Defaults for the toolbar (or drag the Object Selection tool into the toolbar.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/bringing-back-tools.html

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0
Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Object Selection tool does not (always) show up immediately under the Quick Selection tool.  You can find it under Edit Toolbar in the Customize Toolbar Window. There you can drag it into the Toolbar.
Schermafbeelding 2019-11-16 om 13.03.41.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, 

I've updated photoshop to 2020. It doesn't have the new features that the update should have, object selection tool for example. Last week when I did the install I also noticed that it was very laggy. The spin wheel would constantly delay me from using any tool. 

I'm on high siera 10.13.6. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try going the Edit > Toolbar and selecting Restore Defaults

image4.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! 

Thanks so much. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just update my Photoshop 2020 and the Object Selection tool is not there as per the videos.

[Merged with existing thread by moderator.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As the Object Selection tool is not appearing in Photoshop, could you please try resetting the tool bar and let us know if it helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/bringing-back-tools.html

Also, please update Photoshop to version 21.0.1

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the hell?  WHY DID you design the tool this way?  A new feature that doesn't show up automatically???  The stupidest decision ever...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2019 0
Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The decision is sensible in that if you have custom workspaces and toolbars Photoshop will not overwrite them on the update. If it did, then the forum would be inundated with "the upgrade just destroyed my custom set up" posts.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...  I've been using PS for 17 years, and in all that time the new tools just showed up where they were supposed to.  Users weren't forced to dig around and play detective about where the new tools were, at least not that I ever experienced and not that I ever heard.  And I had custom workspaces that were not changed when new tools showed up.  i.e., Clone Stamp Tool, Spot Healing Brush, etc etc etc. They were there when the new version was installed, along with my custom workspace. Why now are you so incapable of continuing that standard?  Never mind, it's a rhetorical question.  Sometimes Adobe just gets it wrong.  All of this notwithstanding, Photoshop continues to be the software indispensible to my work.  Would that it wasn't so... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You that worked a treat

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it didn't work on my machine. I still have no object selection tool anywhere on my toolbar, even after restoring it to defaults as it says here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Photoshop - Go to Help >System Info and it will tell you.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v21.0.0

resetting defaults didn't work. but with the window edit - tools, I could see the new tool at the bottom on the right and was able to drag it over to the left side and it showed up then. so problem solved, just not by the "solution" listed here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plese be more exact about 'window edit-tools'. I fail to do it. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my mistake, it's "edit" from the top toolbar menu, then "toolbars" not "tools", then a new window pops up that shows all the tools available in two panels. left side which is what's active, and right side which are the ones available but not active.Screenshot 2019-11-14 18.57.09.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I have no inactive tools on the right and refresh defaults does nothing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello namgarus, which version are you running? (check in help>system info...)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled, reinstalled and everything is OK. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening to all, I downloaded the latest version of PhotoShop but in the toolbar there is no new selection tool... did it happen to others?

Just for information I work on Mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

As you're not seeing the Object Selection Tool, could you please reset the toolbar to get the Object Selection Tool and see if it appears? https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/bringing-back-tools.html

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,
now it works but I have to repersonalize photoshop

Translate

Translate