• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: RAW Support for Nikon Z5 with 3rd Party Glass

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding an issue importing Nikon Z5 RAW files into Lightroom & Photoshop...Adobe's DNG converter also does not work for these files.  However, if RAW images are shot with Nikon lenses (either Z-mount native or adapted with FTZ adapter), all of these software programs can import just fine.  Will there be an update to allow the import of RAW images shot on 3rd Party Glass?  For reference, I was using the Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2.  NOTE: when using my Nikon 20mm 1.8g lens, all files imported as expected.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, LRD-4205070}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact problem!! I did not know it was cause of the glass i swithced to my 50mm 1.8 f mount and it worked. Hmmmmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I used the Sigma Art 85 1.4 while shooting RAW and I am receiving an import error. I would like to know if there is a fix coming rather quickly because the photographs were of a wedding and these images need to be delivered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking it's a firmware problem with Nikon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After going back and forth with support for several dayd, they said it could very well be 2-3 months for an update. I also have a wedding I need to get delivered. Abode is blaming Nikon, while Nikon is blaming Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me. Nikon blamed Adobe and Adobe blamed Nikon!! SMH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really puts people in a tough situation. These people paid for images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never do a shoot for anyone, especially a wedding, without testing the equipment and practicing a lot with it first.  Hard to blame Nikon or Adobe for not delivering photos in this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your input (comment) is not helpful.. it must be wonderful to be perfect.. people are just hoping for a solution and don't need your condescending remarks.. 

If you can't say anything constructive ( nice ) it's best not to say anything at all..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if you were offended.  Let me put it another way -- it's best to practice with new equipment, including your photo processing workflow, before you take any important pictures.  If you're like me, the first pictures out of a new camera are not going to be very good because there is a lot to learn -- especially if you're transitioning from DSLR to Mirrorless as the AF works differently.  I beleive the solution to this situation on importing photos was already posted -- use Nikon's software until Adobe get's things sorted out.  Go ahead and be offended, but as a photographer taking once in a lifetime pictures of a wedding that the bride is counting on, it's your responsbility to make sure everything goes smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you comment is noted and understandable, in the notes for the last update for Lightroom it stated that support for the Z5 was being added before the camera even released to the public. No caveats were mentioned about 1st party lens support only. This is an oversight by both/either Adobe and Nikon. We can't be asked to stress testers and shoot with all of  our glass just to verify something that Adobe themselves said was already (and should have been) supported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly Nikon dropped the ball in making sure the Z5 was enabled and tested by Adobe. I'm not deflecting that responsibility from Nikon as part of their new product development process.  What I was speaking to is the responsibility of the photographer going into a shoot as important as a wedding, or any paid shot for that matter.  The photographer should be making sure his/her equipment is ready, batteries are charged, etc.  This issue is a good reminder of the importance in trying everything out first when new gear is involved so you can find a fix or have alternate plans beforehand.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. I've spent over two years migrating from Nikon DSLR to Sony mirrorless. The decision was made a long time ago, but it took that long because I needed to have proven reliable equipment on hand at all times. I used the Nikons for all important jobs until very recently.

There are no excuses for malfunctioning equipment. It happens, and it needs to be adressed in advance. It's the photographer's responsibility to make sure it all works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I guess I'm getting a Sony A7III.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll down, we posted a temporary workaround. No need to jump ship just yet. Also Adobe is putting out a patch. They posted an update on the photoshop forum last week about them isolating a possible issue for a fix. Stay tuned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and I'm using a legacy Len non-AI Nikkor 50.18

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue when using the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2. Has anyone gotten more info about this from Adobe or Nikon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me Adobe has an update for this? I need to deliver files and just realized I can't read the files :(. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open those raw files with other raw converters as well, so I suppose it is more of a Nikon problem than an Adobe problem. I could open the raw files with On1 Photo 10 though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open any of the raw files in capture one after downloading it to test if it's just adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boom!!!! Here it is. THE WORKAROUND!!  It's a pain and takes time, but if you download the Nikon NX-D software, you can convert the NEF files to a TIFF file. THEN you can send to Lightroom, Photoshop & (I know this is an Adobe forum, but let's be real) Capture One.

I hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though I can see the images in ViewNX (not in Capture NX-D), I cannot convert them. I get an error message, unsupported file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded capture NX-D and was able to convert under the file tool bar
(Ctrl+E). Make sure you are using Capture NX-D. I’m still awaiting an
official response from Nikon as it seems it is a file issue, but this does
the trick for now. --
Thank you,

Darnell Reid
D. Reid Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! Apparently I was not using the latest version, although I checked from within Capture NX-D. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it was able to help you out! Hopefully they can get it together a create a native fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines