M: Save in actions get me 'Could not save ... because the file name was not valid'

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I run the latest photoshop cc 21.1.0 20200212.r.106 2020/02/12: 4dd027efb58 x64. 

After the last update, whenever I try to save *.psd or *.jpg in actions I get the message: 

"Could not save 'file name' becasue the file name was not valid/ 

These actions worked for years without any problem. 

I restarted my computer, I re-installed photoshop - nothing helps. 

It is very important in my workflow. 

What am I missing?

Is it a known bug of the new update?

Thanks,

Alon

[Moderator note: PS-43966]

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020
Hi all, This should be fixed in the 21.1.1 update that went out this week. Please update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you. Regards, Pete

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell me it's not so!!!! Adobe updates and does something that totally kills your workflow??? This is entirely new and unheard-of!!!

Ugh...same problem with Actions.

Now, if I just go and do the same thing manually, we're all good, but trying to use a Save-As action now no longer works. Mind you, it's the same action I've been using for a long time, so it's plainly related to the newer updates. SMH.

Expensive, industry-leading software...and it consistently has QA problems with every blooming release.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKAROUND:

In your Action, delete the "Save As" bit and then re-record it with an Export instead. (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+S). That allows you to export as a JPEG or a GIF and you don't get the error.

Mind you, this is a Save For Web (Legacy) and not the Export As, which seems to be doing nothing as far as I can tell.

Welcome to being Adobe's beta testers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brandon, it is a shame that we need to find other ways / workarounds for something that should be so simple.
However, I can't get this exporting method to record. Have deleted the existing 'save as' and tried export but it doesn't record the actions. Also tried creating a new action and it still doesn't record...

Interestingly I have just noticed that Photoshop has started to allow me to use the Save As action on an open file once. It will work on one file one time but if you try it again on the same open file it brings up the error. Strange it will allow the action to run now (even if only once) when nothing has changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  So frustrating!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As can't be recorded into an action, while Export Save for Web (Legacy) can be recorded.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is with "Save As"  not Export As.  As others have mentioned, I can run an action with a Save As command in it once (only once) on an open file.  If I make changes to the image and run the very same action that just worked moments earilier, I get the error message.  If I make changes to the images and run a different action with Save As in it, I get the same error message.  As my workflow often includes resizing images multiple times and saving the new sizes in different folders according to their size, this is a time-consuming problem.   I have about 10 actions that serve to flatten layers, unsharp mask, and "Save As."  Not complicated stuff.  But as of very recently, I can only use one of the actions, one time, on an open image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that save as is the problem. There must be 10+ different posts on the topic.

My reply about export was to a previous comment on page 1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider posting your reply to a specific comment using the "reply" feature, instead of as a stand-alone comment.  Then your answer would be paired with the comment you're replying to, and it would be easier for people like me to see that you're not talking to me.  Sorry to have bothered you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What like this? :]

Every time I post I am challenged by the new forum software...

Do I make a threaded reply, or do I make a new reply that will appear in chronological order?

If I make a threaded reply on page 1, it could be lost on page 10 which has not seen any recent activity. Adobe have added a "latest post" badge to help identify the last post in a threaded reply, which in itself indicates the problem with threaded replies, not to mention their display on a mobile phone.

If I make a new reply that is in chronological order, then at least it appears on page 10 as the last entry.

I was guilty of not clearly identifying who I was replying to. When replying via a phone it is challenging, however when on a computer it is much easier to identify who I am replying to.

I hate the new forum software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes...  I'm really not trying to be snarky; I'm new here.  I was just so excited to see your answer under my original post because I thought I had the attention of someone who could fix my problem, if only I would explain it more clearly.  So I did.  I didn't mean to offend.  I take it that the "Save As" issue is unfixable at this time.  I hate that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have four options that I am aware of:

1. Wait for Adobe to fix the issue with an update
  2. Downgrade to an earlier version that is not broken
  3. Stick with the current version and use a script to save (more info would be required)
  4. Stick with the current version and record the save as step using the Image Processor Pro script into the action

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user with this HIGHLY ANNOYING PROBLEM. Adobe, please fix ASAP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully it looks like this issue has been fixed with the last update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem that just began this morning and my PS v.22.3.1 on an iMac Big Sur IOS.

Could not save (file name) because the file name was not valid.

I could not SAVE or SAVE AS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines