M: Save in actions get me 'Could not save ... because the file name was not valid'

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I run the latest photoshop cc 21.1.0 20200212.r.106 2020/02/12: 4dd027efb58 x64. 

After the last update, whenever I try to save *.psd or *.jpg in actions I get the message: 

"Could not save 'file name' becasue the file name was not valid/ 

These actions worked for years without any problem. 

I restarted my computer, I re-installed photoshop - nothing helps. 

It is very important in my workflow. 

What am I missing?

Is it a known bug of the new update?

Thanks,

Alon

[Moderator note: PS-43966]

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020
Hi all, This should be fixed in the 21.1.1 update that went out this week. Please update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you. Regards, Pete

Translate

Translate
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a bug in 21.1.0. There are other bugs as well.  You can most likely get around the Save as bug by un-checking the save as step in the  action and run the action using Adobe Image processor script and have it save the output image

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...not sure what "action using "Adobe Image precessor script" means

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts can save File better than actions and provide more option and name output file better.  Actions can be run by scripts. Photoshop automation is more powerful when actions and scripts are used together. Like Scripts can use Actions, Actions can use scripts.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Alon Rozen describes, 

I have followed the advice of running the Script via Image processor, but now I get this:

photoshop.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 16 years, I learned something new. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this error and like us all, it's killing my workflow. It has only started happening recently and I suspect it is a glitch in the latest version of Photoshop. I am running Version 21.1.0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I switched back to Photoshop 20.0.8, so I can work properly again... 

Thats my solution for now 😛

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have to roll back.  The "Image Processor Script" is completely wrong for the saving tasks I need to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to you switch one download back?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How to you switch one download back?"

Do you want to ask how to switch to previous version/update? Use CC Desktop app and Other versions link which appears when you click three dots as shown on screenshot below.

install-previous-version.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backup you Photoshop Preferences first the  reinstall seems to reset you Photoshop preferences.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont forget to backup your actions before going back to 20.0.8! I didn't and all my actions were gone. I had restore the backup from yesterday to get my actions back!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.0 20200212.r.106 2020/02/12: 4dd027efb58 x64

This version has broken an action that is an essential part of my workflow.

This error:

File: "D:\CLIENTS\Client Folders\artists\joy le Cerf\feb 2020 at joy's\raw\Processed\_DSC1382-Edit-180220.tif"
Error: Could not save as "D:\...\_DSC1382-Edit-180220.jpg" because the file name was not valid. (-37)

It also failed on files that were working before I updated.
I have tried re-making the save steps in the action to the correct folders, but the error persists.

I have checked write permissions, and there appear to be no issues. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating, it's a known bug however I don't know if it has been recently addressed or not.

It thinks that the filename is the full path, therefore there are invalid characters recognised from the path that are not really part of the filename.

Ditch Batch, try Image Processor or Image Processor Pro which can use actions but handle the saving using scripting (just remove the save bits from the action).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

it is the most recent version of photoshop and bridge. It happened after I updated.  This bug is not the same as the droplet bug that has been around for over 10 years. The filepath and filename characters are identical to versions that worked in photoshop 20. I just found a uservoice bug, but it related to network drives. Mine is an internal raid. 

I have been using this action (or a predecessor) for 10 years.  It saves 5 versions of each file, to 2 different colour profiles, with sharpening specified for each size. It also saves the same file to my dropbox, and a backup folder, plus triggers my watermark action and saves that version to a different dropbox folder.  I've used image processor pro. My export actions are more highly tailored to my needs.

Can anyone tell me how to get bridge to batch files to photoshop 2019? 

Or has anyone else seen this issue and found a fix?

If it is a known bug, can anyone point me to it?

ps. Have just tested batching from pshop 2019 and it works. pshop 2020 gives this enlightening error...2020-02-26_231439.jpg

Have adobe been letting the work experience kids loose on their code again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and also just realised i had already updated to pshop 2020, as I set the preference to use the old transform tool modifiers. So this bug must have come about in 21.1

I'm trying a re-install. If that fails, I will walk the versions back until one works

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall 21.0.3 not 21,1.0 the invalid file name is a bug in 21.1.0

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @JJMack I have the same issue. But how do I go about reinstalling the older version without mucking things up?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful. I just installed the previous versions and it overwrote my 2020 prefs and presets. I lost all the recent modifications to brushes, actions etc 

Unbelievably negligent of Adobe, if you had this level of service from a local company you would expect compensation.  

I recovered my settings with recovery software but I don't know yet whether they work (are free from corruption).

So before you do anything copy your Photoshop 2020 settings folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backup you Photoshop Preferences before you reinstall 21.0.3 install 21.0.3 then restore your preferences from the ones you backup

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in batch saving : First Save of the Action works but not the other saves.

I ran my Action several Times, checking and unChecking The Save line but that's not a solution !

Getting Back to previous version solved.

That's a shame this kind of basic function does not work !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have something which is doubtless the same problem. I have an Action which includes this:

AdobesLatestScrewup1.png

Pretty basic stuff, right? Just SAVE as a new file type. Even an archaic semi-language which hasn't been updated since the 1990s and whose idea of "editing" is "re-record everything rather than changing properties in the way that you've been able to do in VBA since 1997" should be able to handle it.

I suppose that I could use the Export command rather than the Save command but no, wait... the fact that Export has not been effectively usable in Actions has been known for several years now. Adobe really can't rush fixes.

I was using the action all through yesterday. 

Last night up pops the regular 15 minute reminder from Creative Cloud Desktop. "Hey, Photoshop has an update because we write code that just festers with bugs". This was, at a guess, version 21.1. I hit the update button and waited half an eternity, or about the same time that it takes Photoshop to launch these days.

I then went back to processing some photos, hit the action which included the above, and... got this:

AdobesLatestScrewup2.png

So I have wasted several hours now, before stumbling across this thread in Adobe's many, varied and disjointed support groups. I did in fact raise this with Adobe's chat support, such as it is. "We don't support third party actions", I was told. No, you aren't listening to me, was the gist of my reply. The action worked in the afternoon, the update was done in the early evening, the action failed in the late evening even after re-recording the action and rebooting the computer. Something in your update SCREWED UP THE ACTION. "You can go back to a previous version", I was told, notwithstanding that we know how Adobe arbitrarily pulled some previous versions with dark and unspecified mutterings about copyright infringement. Nonetheless, after reading this thread, I did. I rolled back to 21.0.3. And of course, the action now works again.

That means that I'm now in a situation where I am paying Adobe every month for a product that I cannot risk updating again lest it break one of the most critical actions in my workflow. Naturally, Adobe NEVER tells you what they "fix" in their endless incremental releases that rarely add anything of value; every time it's just "This update addresses several high priority issues discovered since the last release". Never, NEVER do they include any details, so you just have to take it on faith that the latest update won't cripple something, and that faith is not well founded.

"Be kind and respectful", the community guidelines say. Do you know how much respect I have for a company which takes your money, breaks things, and will take NO ownership of the problem? I have dumped every piece of Adobe software now save for Photoshop, and that's only because I'm not far enough up the learning curve for Affinity Photo. It will be a joyous day when the last ever dollar leaves my account for Adobe's, and I hit the uninstall button on Photoshop. Because frankly, Adobe (if anyone from there bothers to read these threads), I've had it up to here {gestures to throat} with you. And that IS putting it "kindly", compared to what I say to everyone I know about you and your products.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines