• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Can't Edit Text/Type tool problems with Photoshop 22.0

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got the Photoshop update this morning, and the type tool is having issues. When I click in a text frame, it doesn't show the frame and I can't highlight the text. I can still edit the text, but there's no visual indicator of where the cursor is, where the frame is, etc.

Anyone else having this issue, and is there any kind of fix? I have to use text frequently in the graphics I create, and not being able to see where I'm working is going to be a pain.

[Moderator Note: Updated title, PS-57130]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.0.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top users reported issues. Check out the list of all fixed issues here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

To update Photoshop to 22.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

For help with updating, see Update Creative Cloud apps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 143 Replies 143
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonlin Creative,

Sorry about text editing not working for you in Photoshop. Have a few questions and suggestions for you:

Let us know if any of these suggestions help out.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete.Green,

In answer to your questions:

• I'm using Windows 10
  • The type tool appears to work properly in a new document.
  • Restarting Photoshop didn't help, nor did restarting my computer.
  • Resetting preferences didn't fix it.

So it's basically a problem with existing files, and none of the easy fixes work. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found another tidbit of information.

The problem comes up when using the type tool on a CMYK file. So if I create a new document in CMYK, the type tool doesn't work. If I create a new document in RGB, it does.

Unfortunately, essentially all of my files are CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonlin, 

Thanks for providing more info. This does seem to affect CMYK images, and one suggestion is to try disabling the video card (GPU) aceleration and then see if you get text edit function back in your CMYK docs. 

See Disable the GPU to quickly narrow down the issue

Let me know how that goes for you.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that solved the issue, but of course noticeably decreased Photoshop's performance. I'll look at the troubleshooting tips in that link you shared and see how that works. I just got this computer a few weeks ago, so it should be fairly up to date, but I'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good, if it's a newer machine, you might be best served with a GPU driver update (Go directly to NVIDIA or AMD's page for the latest driver).

Alternatively, if your system has TWO GPUs in it (Intel and other discrete card), you may want to disable the onboard card. See Step 7 of the troubleshooting steps at the above article for this.

Let me know how either of those steps serve you.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my driver from NVIDIA and it's still not working correctly. The driver was just released today, so that's about as up-to-date as you can get. 🙂

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep learning more and more about the problem as I work. It also depends on zoom level. If I click in a text frame and start zooming in, the text box with the handles, etc. starts showing up, and I can see it if I highlight the text.

I don't know if that info helps, but it's interesting at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a problem that started with PS 2019 and affected the cursor in general not appearing when working in a CMYK file. I would have thought that would have been fixed by now, but maybe not. Suggest that before you open your CMYK file, make a RGB file and open it (can be blank, just as long as it's an RGB file). Then switch over to your CMYK file. Hopefully it will work for you at that point.

Glenn

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Glenn. Unfortunately, that's not working for me.

I never had this issue until today's update. If others had it in previous versions, it wasn't affecting me until today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop 23.0.1 running and when I use the type tool, it wont update the tex in realtime. It does it when I exit the type box, chosing another tool. Also as of today, Photoshop is setting to default settings each time I log into it (its not saving my preferences. I have tried starting from defaults , changing them to where I need them but still wont save them. Why all these new problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Thing ! I don't understand it !! It worked well two weeks ago et now not !! I uninstall phtoshop et install again but nothing !! Please Adobe help us !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olá pessoal, Jean Carlos, aqui do Brasil, o meu PS está com este mesmo problema. Eu digito e não aparece o texto em tempo real, quando clico em outra ferramenta ai aparece, é chato isso, alguém já sabe como arrumar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Conseguiu resolver?
Aqui eu só consegui resolver desabilitando o acelerador de GPU (preferencias de config).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Can't see the cursor and the textblock frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Deactivating GPU shows the frames and cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with the latest release. My computer uses a GTX 970. As stated above, switching from CMYK to RGB seems to solve it. I am currently redownloading the older version until this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever it's worth, my computer uses an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (notebook).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue in Mac OS, switching from CMYK to RGB did "fix" it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'm having the same problem. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/editing-text-is-impossible-in-the-october-2020-release/td-p...
  • Which version of Windows are you using? Win 10 ver 20H2
  • Can you let us know if it works for you in a new document? Same problem.
  • Are you able to create a new document and add Type layers? Same problem.
  • Does restarting Photoshop, or your computer help? Neither helped. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop.
  • For strange behavior like this, it can be helpful to reset the Photoshop preferences. Problem persists.
  • I have disabled the GPU, closed PS, and reopened. This corrected the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solution; NORMALEkran Alıntısı.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines