• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac command-tab switching in Full-Screen Mode (with modal) blocks other app from getting focus

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is specific, but it absolutely kills a common workflow pattern that I've been relying on for 15 years.

I've exclusively use Photoshop in Full-Screen Mode. For context, I do a lot of web front-end development, so I'm flipping back-and-forth (via cmd+tab) between Mac's Calculator app and Photoshop.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have a canvas open in Photoshop.
  2. Photoshop is set to Full Screen Mode (hit the "F" key).
  3. Instantiate any modal. In my case, this is often the Image Size modal (cmd+option+"I").
  4. Now, without doing anything else, cmd+tab yourself back to whatever your last-used Mac application was. In my case, this was/is Calculator, but it could be anything (e.g. Spotify).
  5. Note that even though the macOS system-bar title changes (now says "Calculator"), Calculator is nowhere to be seen. Photoshop — with its instantiated modal — has remained stuck in place, stealing the foreground from any other app.

In the attached screenshot, you can see everything at once: Photoshop is open in Full-Screen Mode, a modal is invoked ("Image Size"), I've cmd-tab'd back to Calculator, Calculator is confirmed in system bar, but Photoshop won't let it have visible focus.

Specs:

• macOS 10.15.6
  • Mac Mini (2018)
  • HDMI connected to HP z27 4K display
  • Photoshop 21.2.2
  • eGPU: Radeon RX 580
  • Photoshop is running in Low Resolution Mode (since that's the only way to get it to operate at usable performance @ 4K)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do Cmd+Tab and tab to the desired app like Calculator, release the Tab key, press the Option key and release the Cmd key. That should bring up the Calculator app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines