Highlighted

Mac Photoshop CC hangs when shape layer is selected

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC, over the past several years I have had recurring problems with shape layers. When creating or selecting a shape layer, immediately after drawing the shape and releasing the mouse button, Photoshop will hang for 15-60 seconds. It doesn't matter what kind of shape it is; usually it is just a rectangle. If the layer was the active layer when the file was closed, Photoshop will immediately hang for about 30 seconds when the file is re-opened. Changing any of the shapes properties (fill, stroke) will bring another 5-15 second delay, as does switching away from the layer to another layer.

It doesn't always happen. With some files it seems to happen consistently, but if I start a new blank document the shape layers often seem to work without problem. However, in the problem documents I can delete all the layers down to just the shape layer and one other layer, and it still happens. 

Other than that, the app seems to work perfectly. Memory does not seem to be an issue. I can work with files many GB in size with lots of layers and effects, and no problem. If the shape is in a group, working with the group has great performance; issue only occurs when selecting the shape layer. 

I don't have any other known issues with Photoshop performance, even with advanced features like 3D. Also, no problems with Adobe Illustrator, even with complex vector images.

I am usually running the latest version of Photoshop. This problem has been recurring over the last many Photoshop updates going back to 2018 or earlier. Problem still exists in Photoshop 21.1.3. 

I am using macOS Catalina, 10.15.5, on an iMac with Retina display 5K 27-inch (Late 2014), 16 GB RAM, and AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB card.

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mac Photoshop CC hangs when shape layer is selected

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC, over the past several years I have had recurring problems with shape layers. When creating or selecting a shape layer, immediately after drawing the shape and releasing the mouse button, Photoshop will hang for 15-60 seconds. It doesn't matter what kind of shape it is; usually it is just a rectangle. If the layer was the active layer when the file was closed, Photoshop will immediately hang for about 30 seconds when the file is re-opened. Changing any of the shapes properties (fill, stroke) will bring another 5-15 second delay, as does switching away from the layer to another layer.

It doesn't always happen. With some files it seems to happen consistently, but if I start a new blank document the shape layers often seem to work without problem. However, in the problem documents I can delete all the layers down to just the shape layer and one other layer, and it still happens. 

Other than that, the app seems to work perfectly. Memory does not seem to be an issue. I can work with files many GB in size with lots of layers and effects, and no problem. If the shape is in a group, working with the group has great performance; issue only occurs when selecting the shape layer. 

I don't have any other known issues with Photoshop performance, even with advanced features like 3D. Also, no problems with Adobe Illustrator, even with complex vector images.

I am usually running the latest version of Photoshop. This problem has been recurring over the last many Photoshop updates going back to 2018 or earlier. Problem still exists in Photoshop 21.1.3. 

I am using macOS Catalina, 10.15.5, on an iMac with Retina display 5K 27-inch (Late 2014), 16 GB RAM, and AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB card.

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To expand on what I wrote above, "If the shape is in a group, working with the group has great performance; issue only occurs when selecting the shape layer": What I should have said to be more clear is, If the shape is in a group, working with the group (such as moving or resizing the group as a unit) has great performance; the issue only occurs when selecting the shape layer directly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0