• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac Photoshop CS4 stalls – force quit quits the app, but it remains active in the Dock

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our retouch department is having some issues in Photoshop CS4 11.0.1.

One of the problems is that Photoshop suddenly just stalls while working (beach ball spins) and it doesn't stop.

Below are four different samples of Photoshop when in the stalled state:

http://home.mac.se/star-affinity/sample_of_photoshop.txt

http://home.mac.se/star-affinity/sample_of_photoshop_2.txt

http://home.mac.se/star-affinity/sample_of_photoshop_3.txt

http://home.mac.se/star-affinity/sample_of_photoshop_4.txt

http://home.mac.se/star-affinity/sample_of_photoshop_5.txt

When this stall happens, if one tries to force quit Photoshop it ”goes away” from the Activity Monitor, but the icon in the Dock remains active as if the application is still running. After some few minutes (around five maybe) it finally ”gets quit” in the Dock too so it can be relaunched.

Any ideas on this?

We run the first version of Mac Pro (2.66 GHz) with the ATI X1900 graphics card.

Some run 10.5.6 but some have started to move to 10.5.7.

Some have 5 GB RAM and some have 9 GB RAM.

All samples above are from a machine running 10.5.6, but I've heard the stall also happened on a 10.5.7 machine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jul 27, 2009 Jul 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case this may help someone...

My office is setup with an iMac hosting our files, with a pc and a MBP reading and saving to it. The iMac has no issues, and the MBP (new to the mix) has problems - only when using the server. It's fine when the files are on the laptop itself. So the problem was (or so far it seems fine) that we originally setup the mac to share files with a pc (SMB File sharing), and I needed to go back and turn on AFP for apple computers. Now when I connect, I login as my user (which is listed on the main file on the iMac for approved users), and I can even work on my PSD files from the server.

I still hold my breath each time I save - but so far so good! It's amazing!

Hope this helps someone!

-Ashley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2009 Jul 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

star-

I'm just being curious

were all of your computers, clean installs (new computers with new software loaded) and not migrations from older computers with older CS suites?

thanks

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The iMac was a clean install (since it was the first Mac), and the

MacBook Pro I migrated from the PC, but ended up doing a clean install

of Adobe after working from the transferred apps - though it didn't

make a difference.

-ash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the speedy reply!

I'm trying to clean house and was wondering if legacy suite files were problems such as older Version Cues etc...... you've ruled that out.

next up.....

I see in the activity monitor that AdobeCrashDaemon runs when I run any of the suite apps. I guess this is normal?

and I see that in the System log within the Console that I have repeated messages  " unknown SIGSEGV code O"

which led me to googling the universe and found this conversation.....

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1548818&start=15&tstart=0

and this technote-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408562.html

with this entry-

"These SIGSEGV signal messages have been determined to be sent from debugging code that was not disabled. Note that all Mac users of CS4 applications, or Acrobat/Reader 9.0 would see these messages in their system.log, so any crashes are merely coincidental. However, if your crashes are related to a problem with the FLEXnet licensing server, this solution may also fix that, as it causes many of it's files to be refreshed, which could remove corruption.

This issue can be resolved by downloading and running the updated Adobe Licensing Repair Tool:
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

Note: If you have previously downloaded this utility, your browser cache may contain the previous version. The correct version will mount a disk titled, "LicenseRecovery11.5.0.9". If the disk image you mount does not mount with that name, clear your browser cache and download from the link again.

Matthew Laun

• Adobe Technical Response Team"

I haven't tried the licensing fix yet..... too much work today and  I'm a little worried that I will end up with licensing problems with the suite, which would be somewhat disastrous.

oh well..... I'll keep staring at my computer.... I mean working : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we'll I'm an idiot.... I actually used the license fix tool... what was I thinking

it did fix the debugging issue in the Adobe software, but left me with something else... and console log error when starting Illustrator.... so as not to complicate things I've posted this now in the Illustrator forum

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/469417

the good news is that I haven't had time to use PS yet today so it hasn't crashed : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

If you're running PS CS4 on a mac older than the latest model, I believe you will find that it's the video card driver.  I just went through a long series of diagnostics with Adobe. Here's the steps you can take to dicsover the cause:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404895.html

I did them all and everything points to #6. You'll also most likely discover that there is no way to upgrade your driver to a compatable version. There is no upgrade for my iMac. According to what I was told, if there was an upgrade it would have come along automatically with any other upgrades for my mac system (which I apply regularly). The NVIDIA website does not provide upgrades for macs in general even though they supply the video cards to Apple. I imagine I could buy a new video card altogether, but haven't gone that far yet (and don't know for sure if I will).

If you're having trouble in PS CS4 make sure that OpenGL Drawing is disabled in the preferences (in the Perfomance panel).  I got better performance (no permanent hangs and those that happen end after several seconds) after I deselected that. Be sure to check out the two links at the bottom of section #6 in the document above as they discuss the OpenGL in more detail (and it's incompatability with many drivers).

When I run PS CS4 on my brand new iMac at home (bought this year) PS CS4 works beautifully.

Although the "permanent hang" has been eliminated, now I get a strange error message when I try to open a file...."PS cannot complete your request"...and can't continue to open the file because the error message won't go away. Oh well that's a story for another day and another Adobe Support Request and It's back to CS3 for me for the time being.

Good luck everyone.

iMac # 2.33 GHZ Intel Core2 Duo # 3GB Ram # 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

MAC OS 10.5.7

Design Premium CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cmd-Opt-Esc to Force quit CS4... Photoshop USED to be the most stable reliable programs, now it works great when it works...

RE: Brent's solution
Command+Option+Shift keys as I launched CS4

What I found in the system info was
Plug-ins that failed to load:
Adjusted Refresh NO VERSION

I did a Spotlight search for Adjusted Refresh, found two copies, deleted both. We'll see if anything changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening for years

Adobe applications take minutes to quit, refuse to quit, on "Force Quit" they will become inaccessible  but they won't show as inactive.  Meaning you can't access them, but they still show in the dock as though they are launched and you have to restart to be able to launch them again. 

The worst are Adobe Acrobat and InDesign followed by Photoshop, Illustrator some and Bridge is typically pretty good.  It's a much more common complaint than you see on the boards here.  It has been and is ongoing.  I have encountered it on various Mac platforms and with various versions of CS. 

Adobe will claim it is a system error or an install error, etc. . .   The problem is that it is ONLY Adobe applications that I have every encountered this with.  And it is always the SAME Adobe applications. I do find that it is even worse when the computer is connected to a server.  This is an Adobe problem and they don't seem to ever truly address it. 

I am a huge fan of all of the Adobe products, but this is and has been a problem in the applications and I never see any discussion from Adobe about actually trying to figure it out.  I see all these "fixes" which are really attempts to backdoor the inherent problem in the software itself.

Get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never encountered that problem, ever.

It would be helpful if you provide detailed information about your setup and the precise steps needed to reproduce your issue.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s in the forums. I’m not really going to try and replicate all the steps and go through my history of installs, system configurations etc. . . , it happens and it happens a lot. Adobe applications take forever to quit and have for some years now. You have posting going back before 2004 about the programs not quitting. There seems to be plenty of documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not connected to Adobe.  These are user to user forums, not a direct channel to communicate with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies got your comment via email, did not see the forum connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.  Just wanted to clarify. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only delay we've seen is due to crashes on quit caused by third party plugins, and the delay is caused by the OS crash reporter gathering information before putting up the "report or ignore" dialog.

If you force quit - then the OS terminates the application, and the app has no choice but to exit.

And other Adobe applications don't share code, so wouldn't have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest issue here, is simply how long it takes for Adobe apps to close. It can be ridiculous. And again, it is Adobe applications which take forever.

I have no third party plug ins, all are Adobe System plug ins.

The plug-in folder is not enabled as well.

There isn’t a “delay” with the app closing, it simply doesn’t close completely at all.

Obviously, if you force quit an application the app is going to exit, but on occasion it will simply hang.

As I’ve mentioned just closing out of Adobe products takes forever never mind force quitting. I’m sure a lot of people force quit because they don’t feel like waiting for 5 minutes while the app works on closing and they are staring at the “Application is not responding” blurb in the force quit box.

I’m a creative/marketing director and my staff, where I work presently and in companies before have always used macs and adobe products. I’ve used all these applications and Macs since they came on the market. This issue started a few years ago with Adobe products and it isn’t a single machine or system.

This is a problem and I’ve seen the responses on this from Adobe to other users who have registered the same complaint through the various releases. It was true on CS4 and it’s true on 5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use a font management application like Suitcase or Font Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be interesting to see if there's something in the system info that could be the cause.

Can you post your system info?

Launch Photoshop. Choose Help>System Info...

Note: Photoshop System Info contains and entry with your serial number. Remove the entry prior to posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>  The biggest issue here, is simply how long it takes for Adobe apps to close. It can be ridiculous.  And again, it is Adobe applications which take forever.

Again, we haven't seen that at all, and others haven't reported such a problem where there wasn't some third party factor (plugins, bad disk, etc.) involved.

And most of the apps don't share much, or sometimes any, code.

We need to figure out what is wrong on your system that causes Photoshop to hang or quit slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops!  I just realized there's a server involved here.  Never mind then.  Disregard my previous post in its entirety. 

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Chris states, this can fixed by finding the offending plug-in: Troubleshoot plug-ins (Photoshop CS5 and CS4): http://adobe.ly/PSPlugIn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines