Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY ?

MAC Yosemite PS CC=brush LAG??!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, what is the status on this?

Is there an official bug report page we can follow? Because im running the latest wacom plugin, OSX version and Photoshop version up to this date (jun/25/2015) and I STILL have issues.

Disabling the ruler only solves half of the issue, as I get MAJOR slowdowns when using brushes on photoshop. A 2500x2500x 300dpi document with a 125px wide brush KILLS my computer, a 16gb retina macbook retina.

And this isn't an issue with THE COMPUTER, as I tested the same file size and brush size on Photoshop CS6 and IT RAN SMOOTHER.

I'm sorry, but how is this not a top priority inside adobe? How is it that a CS6 discontinued version of photoshop runs better on Yosemite than the official, up to date version?

I bought the entire suite as a student knowing that adobe would always be working on the best for our products, but this CONTINUOUS issue has started to make me question that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto for me w/Wacom & CS6… thought it was my equipment (new Retina iMac w/special Radon card & 32G memory, 1T storage card, etc.)

Often will improve (somewhat) if I quit & restart the app, but that’s a real PITA in production at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're fixing one bug related to rulers, and trying to see if we can workaround the MacOS bugs as well.

The official bug report page is in Apple's RADAR system, which you don't have access to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a simple curiosity, people that works for Adobe probably use Mac OSX and Wacom, how do you make it working?! Do you disable the "ruler".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, the lag on my Intuos Pro was ridiculous. Totally unusable. I found that to cure the lagging, simply click the mouse button and move the brush slightly with your mouse and it seems to give the Wacom a kick up the backside and the lagging disappears, making the pen usable again. Do this whenever it starts lagging again sometimes after making a selection etc... A bit of a pain, but has worked for me. Seeing as Wacom and Adobe have completely ignored the issue... Which wouldn't be the first time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thanks for your reply. Any idea why briefly utilising the mouse will kick start the pen to behave as normal? BTW the rulers have no effect on this issue with my Intuos Pro.

Lastly, could I ask that you take a look at the following that is causing some distress to myself and others, so far there has been very little communication from the Adobe camp regarding whether this other bug is in the process of being rectified: Re: Why does a path deselect when you convert it to a selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates here? Brush tool is still lagging with all softwares and drivers up to date and all tricks (like remove ruler, reset preferences and so forth) applied. I can't believe that Photoshop brushes can still lag in 2015 with the speed of our machines... It's only 2D images!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and Apple are just like Barry & Georgie the younger… they like to blame each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true!

Amazing how nobody wants to take responsibility and fix the dam thing... Same thing happened when I bought my macbook pro 2013... Photoshop would brush freeze every 5 minutes. I needed to revert back to older OS X to have something somewhat stable but you can't go older than the OS it ships with... I'll probably end up reverting back to Mavericks...

I waited 8 freaking months before upgrading to Yosemite... Apparently they didn't have enough time to fine tune it yet... They should stop releasing BETA versions and wait until their software is ready for the real world (Adobe, Apple and Wacom).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have better luck reverting back to Photoshop CS5. This whole mess started with CS6. Amazing that CS5 will run fine on the same OS Partition and machine that CS6 and beyond has problems with.

Or if Adobe doesn't want to get their act together try this. Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software for Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awaiting update from Adobe? Can't believe this as been going on for 8 months!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple is aware of the issues with Yosemite, and I believe they are hoping to fix them with El Capitan

OS X El Capitan: Features, Release Date and Details

This went out four hours ago (July 14 - 10am PDT)

Apple Seeds First OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Beta to Developers - Mac Rumors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah well let's see how many new bugs will be introduced with El Capitan... Another nightmare to come. I decided to revert back to Mavericks... Will do this tonight. Really disappointed to have bought into the CC monthly subscription... Thankfully I still have 22 days to cancel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed… I opted out of CC altogether and have yet to look back. (Went back to CS6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple’s been aware of its Mail sounds dropping too for over3 years… and has yet to address it (successfully) so don’t hold your breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, good news, turning off the Rulers helped out my lag problem... after 3 months with a new computer. So, I really appreciate all the folks submitting stuff, thanks guys. My most recent work around was resuscitating GIMP, doing basic silhouettes in there (no lag), and cleaning up lines in Photoshop. Phew! But, after 3 months of frustration I'm gonna rant a little. And to the guys who run this board, you're just doing your jobs, most of us get that. So don't take this too personally. These are just a couple of observations:

1. After the break through about turning off the Rulers came out one of the Adobe folks said "Apple has known about the Ruler problem for awhile." So, logically, so has Adobe. Yet, "Turn off the rulers" was not the first thing up on the help menu. No, I backgraded my Intuos 5 Wacom, I updated Yosemite, and played around with preferences for AWHILE. ALL of which would have saved me hours (which... is like, 25$ to 40$ an hour for some retouchers and digital painters?). Seriously! And, I know it's your job, and you can't say "Adobe bad" you have to say "apple bad, or intuos bad". But it's seriously annoying.

2. Here's some other workarounds I considered: Affinity Photo for 50$ sounds really nice. You know, it'll never be as up to par as Photoshop, but it'll be nice to have around next time there's another glitchy upgrade and all the bigwigs from the Billionaire companies want to point fingers at eachother.

3. Here's another thought: 3D folk have a way to get back at Maya, and Modo and all those guys when they get pieved: Blender. The Blender foundation puts out a really nice product and the course of that product is completely user driven. We need a Co-op Photoshop. Gimp is a big piece of crap, it can't really compare. If you want to do stuff and don't want to pay any money, GIMP to the rescue. But, if we funded it as well as we fund you. it wouldn't be. I might just do some technological insurance myself... maybe give the GIMP 2$ a month from now on. Just in case. And if everyone who got mad about this did that... well, Adobe would get some competition, and we all know how good that is for all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe competition? Pipe dream. Apple competition? 2nd pipe dream. Intuos competition? 3rd pipe dream.

Deal with it… I’ve found that disabling rulers and/or clicking once on the Intuos tablet w/mouse seems to resolve my frustrations.

2c only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem is ours, we admit to it and fix it as soon as we can.

But what remains after we fix our problems are bugs in OS and third party code - which we cannot fix, and sometimes cannot even work around.  So the only thing left is to document the bugs for the OS or third party, then wait for them to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is talking, Mac users are blaming Adobe and Wacom for this lag problem, and almost nobody are posting on Apple support to fix this problem.

Adobe should be more clear that APPLE should FIX THE LAG PROBLEM and users must complain with Apple, maybe they finally fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found something which seems to remove the lag completely. And, so far the culprit seems to be Apple (or possibly some program(s) which are able to shift around process priorities). After a few rounds of re-installations, restarts and trying some of the helpful-ish suggestions from this board, I still had no luck.

The lag was inconsistent, depending what else was running. And, ultimately, I tested out an idea which seemed ludicrous at the time...

Is it possible that Apple's current OS X was giving Safari (and other web browsers) higher priority than the basic needs of a GUI-driven computer? More specifically, is web-browsing considered more important than dragging the cursor around?

After a brief search on system priorities, I read up on "renice" which is a means to alter the "niceness" of your system processes. The less "nice" a process is, the more resources it demands for itself. It's a sort of inverted priority system in which negative values (negative niceness) are entitled to more resources to run.

After giving WacomTabletDriver (use Activity Monitor to find its PID) a negative nice value, I haven't had a single lag problem.

So, something is either wrong with the latest OS X, or the latest Wacom drivers, or I have third-party software which has shifted around these priorities or taken precedence over them.

Through this process, an Apple-made mouse performed without issue. So, the processes driving that thing were given their proper due.

I suspect that there may be some shared functionality between Safari and the Finder. And, third party accessories like Wacom are given short shrift. It's also possible that setting the Wacom Driver niceness will have to happen on every reboot of the machine. So, I'll have to work on a startup script for that.

Until then, in a Terminal window, the command I used was:

sudo renice -1 495

• Sudo to make sure it's executed by root.
  • "renice" to change the "niceness" of a running process.
  • Negative one to make it slightly more greedy (you may need a little more but, go in baby steps).
  • And, finally the PID I learned from the Activity Monitor.

I suspect the other fixes that people have tried were mostly killing processes that somehow took precedence over their Wacom Drivers on their particular set ups...

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have MacbookPro 15 Retina Mid 2015 with Nvidia 750 and Adobe programs currently lag to the level when i simply uninstalled them. The most surprising thing is to see Dreamweaver text lag during scroll down and text selection. I had to buy Parallels desktop and install Windows 7 in order to work with Adobe programs, they way smooth with no problems on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will post a thread on apple support if someone will direct me to the appropriate forum. I think we all should. The only way to get change is to make it happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines