• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook M1 - Photoshop 3D virtually freezes

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got new photoshop 2021 on MacBook Pro M1. Mostly seems to be OK. But 80% of what I do is 3D, having migrated from old CS on old Macbook Pro. 3D on photoshop 2021 is just not working on M1. It is there, but any adjustments just hang... Got 2021 on its 7 day free trial, if 3D fundamentals are not as good as their old 3D then not worth the money? Tried the Help Line but no answer, just hanging on with them saying apologies for being so slow... p.s. yes checked and it still works really well on my old macbook...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack. Saw those before posting. But does not confirm that is my problem and does not mention 3D. And if so, why has it been sold to M1 users...and when will it be usable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D on Photoshop has been busted for years and there are a few different reasons but it boils down to Adobe doesn't care to spend $ on it

your best option moving forward is to use another 3D software and Blender is a great place to start

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway, thank you for feedback. Have been using the Photoshop 3D features in CS for quite a long time. Mostly because of its simplicity. Downloaded Blender some time ago and thought it is a wonderful piece of software, but it does not fit my simplicity aesthetic. Hopefully Adobe will be thinking about this post and working out what the problem is. It might be the Photoshop interim version for Apple M1 processor has bugs. The new Macbook M1 is incredibly fast, suggesting the problem is Photoshop, as my old Macbook works OK with it on CS. 3D conversions happen OK when standalone (I think) the most obvious issue is with 3D in Layers being totally frozen when trying to even simply expand or move. My main concern is that people are being encouraged to pay for Photoshop when Adobe are aware it "does not work" which is probably unethical??? Hopefully they are going to respond???  Des.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop officially compatible with Apple Silicon has not been released yet, so it is natural that it will not work properly.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you assause, for a very valid response. My MacBook Pro M1 is evolving towards more problems. The first few days Bridge for example opened amazingly fast and for those bits that worked it was great. But today, Bridge in particular is dragging along, folders containing a larger number of files for example are not showing thumbnails for ages and even then sometimes I have to scroll over them before thumbnails appear. Along with some PS applications not working at all. Even my mid-2012 macbook pro does not have that snag today. Accepted that Adobe has not released the M1 software..."BUT" I ask myself, why are Macbook Pro M1 users paying monthly subscriptions for something which does not exist??? Not your place to answer of course...My younger days...sigh...as a system user manual writer, release tester and client acceptance consultant, we would never ever be able to charge a client for something which did not work. In fact Adobe, ethically, should be paying users who are helping with development of new software, not the other way round. Apologies for using your comment to air this...very best wishes...Des

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always been common sense to never jump to a brand new platform immediately. Wait until the dust settles. There will always be initial bugs and problems. Every time.

Most of us keep keep the previous version of Photoshop around when updating. With a new operating system you can't do that, so even more reason to wait a while and do some research. And with an entirely new platform...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Circumstances very often do not allow logical actions. Updating mid-2012, 2015-macbook to Mojave with CS5 caused chaos, only intended to be short term, but for many reasons switched as soon as I could to M1 and 2021 PS. Putting on here a new question about other snags. Many many people like myself, including my very young grandson use PS, with his own licence, in different ways and should not be exploited. Adobe of course are aware of this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since CS5 is guaranteed to work only up to OS X 10.8, it is natural that it will not work properly on later OS.
Apple's OS is not compatible with new OS versions, and it is an extremely unstable environment that changes platform specifications like this one.
You have to assume that it is a tough platform if you do not carefully identify the various software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software that is ready for new hardware will be limited to very simple ones.
If you know when your Mac switched from PowerPC to Intel, you'll know the same situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well. PS 22.3 today really speeding up 3D on macbook m series. Great. But. All of my older 3D images, some quite old on previous PS, are totally destroyed by PS new. All of that older work has to be binned? Yes even those on 22.3 speed up moving in space yes, great, but the images have major big cracks in them and totally unusable...sigh... Also no update to Bridge, which for me is crashing about 4-5 times a day, even when not doing anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines