Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook Pro 16" with AMD Radeon Pro 5500m 8Gb Gpu problem with Photoshop

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with Photoshop that I have a blurred image when I fit the image (cmd-0). I have a MacBook Pro 16"  with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB and 32Gb RAM. I contacted Adobe and described the problem. I was asked to turn off use graphics processor. The problem was solved! Also for Adobe Support! But it was immediately clear to me that this cannot be the solution. So I have a massive drop in performance. When asked about the support, I got the answer that it is a hardware problem of the graphics card and not from photoshop! Strangely, e.g. Luminar 4 from Skylum flawlessly and that uses the graphics processor more intensely than Photoshop! Geekbench Gpu test over 26000 points. I would say the graphics card works as it should and Adobe is unable to solve the problem and blames Apple! All programs work, Photoshop does not  But the hardware is to blame ... Who has similar problems or a solution to the problem? Since the laptop is new I will also contact Apple and let's see how they react to the statement from Adobe that the hardware of the Macbook is the problem.

greetings stefan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

please post updates to this topic as I have the same computer and have similar problems with Photoshop when "Use GPU" is checked. It crashes everytime I'm making changes to the brightness/contrast of a photoshop image, for example.

So, with a brand new computer and a really expensive Adobe cloud service I am more than p*ssed about this.

Talk soon,

Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, actually I have found nothing more. Adobe says that the fault is with Apple (driver problem), Apple says that Adobe should see that the software runs properly on this computer. Is a third-party software and therefore not Apple's problem. stand in the middle have spent a lot of money and currently have to live with the problem. What I found out so all points to a driver problem, but as Apple disciples we are bound to Apple because the drivers are supplied with the software ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interpolation to "fit screen" is performed in the video driver. It used to be an OpenGL function (still is on Windows), but on Mac it's now probably taken over by Metal.

Either way, this is now embedded into MacOS.

What happens when you switch GPU off is that the interpolation is done by Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello thanks for the very informative answer! That means I'm dependent on Apple to solve the problem or is it not possible to display it correctly with this computer and hardware? Or does Adobe have to switch its software to Metal? Can this graphics card no longer support OpenGL? Thank you again for this valuable information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me. Still not sorted in July 2020. This is rubbish and is clearly Adobe's fault. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reading through all the threads regarding Adobe software not working on the new MacBook Pro 2020 with the AMD Radeon pro 5500M GPU. This is absolutely insane and I'm so lucky I found these threads before purchasing a computer. Adobe absolutely needs to speak up about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which graphics card did you go with? I'm looking to purchase Macbook Pro 16 and want to avoid problems.

I do heavy Photoshop, 3D rendering, and some video projects.

Thanks for any guidance from you or anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I now have THREE applications running into strange screen glitches (partial areas of a canvas or a browser's viewport) on my MacBook Pro 16". One of them is an Adobe web application (running in Chrome), one is the Miro desktop application (based on their web app), and one I can't mention because of NDA conditions (it's a beta product). And they all run fine when I switch off the Radeon card, either in the browser or on system level.

It' clear to me that some technologies conflict in some way with this card (and/or its system driver). If it's software, then it's Apple's job to communicate these problems and possible solutions with developers. If it's hardware-related, then the solution will be less easy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the answer! Do you think the problem is with Apple !? Would be good to know who to contact, as Apple says the error is with Adobe and Adobe says the error is with Apple ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, one indication I have has to do with the "Electron" JavaScript framework. Miro uses that on their (web) app, and from a newer version on, the problem occurred. An older version didn't have the problem. But is it a matter of this software addressing the card, or the processing of the card itself ? I don't know, and I don't have enough time (and knowledge) to sort it all out as a user...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not unusual for GPU driver updates to cause issues in applications.

For Windows users, the advice is to update the drivers directly from Nvidia or AMD. It is sometimes necessary to rollback to older drivers until the GPU manufacturers issue new drivers. Nvidia introduced their Studio drivers which are updated less often than the game drivers and tend to be more stable bit they are still not immune to problems.

For MAC users, updating and rolling back drivers is not so easy and those driver updates rely on Apple. I would raise the issues with both Apple and Adobe so that they can work together on a fix. To raise with Adobe, use the link below.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of MacOS are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines