• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacBook Pro making physical sound when using sliders

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2019 Macbook Pro and I'm running the most current version of Photoshop. I noticed that when I moving the sliders, such as the hue/saturation, that there was a clicking sound that that followed the slider. At first I thought this was a sound effect, but I muted the sound and it was still making the noise. I did some investigating and it doesn't do it when I start a new project, it only seems to do it when I have a few layers. It also doesn't do it if I shut the preview off and then use the sliders. So it seems that it starts once the computer is under load. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this from their MacBook?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, by chance does this problem occur only with Photoshop or even with other Adobe software? Also, have you already tried to reset preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I can't seem to replicate the noise in Illustrator or Indesign. I have tried reseting the preferences, and I have uninstalled and re-installed Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the 16 inch macbook pro and i hear that noise when i enable/disable a layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 16 inch and I get the same exact thing. When I play with sliders or when I enable or disable a layer I get the same noise. Super annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed something similar. 

A very slight short screeching noise like here was a HDD inside whenever I do anything like hide a layer or cmd+z. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been told by someone that it is coil whine from the GPU, which is harlmess. If it's any reasurrance, my Macbook has been getting heavy use since I made this post back in September, and the issue doesn't seem to have escalated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some thing are compute intensive  your processor will be working flat  out 100% utilization. This cause a lot of heat which will be sensed by your computer and its software will turn up fan power to cool down your processor.  It  may also throttle down your processor so less heat will be produced. You do not want your processor to fry itself leave the fans plugged in. The more powerful processor  generate more heat. Do iPad Pro have fans? There a stripped down Photoshop for iPad Pro I have not seen any favorable reviews about it though,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue - BRAND NEW 2019 maxxed out MacBookPro. Photoshop freezes and causing my MacBook to spin (the fan going crazy) EVERY time I attempt to use Hue/Saturation and adjust the sliders. ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird question – is your power cord connected to the left USB-C ports? If so, try switching to the right side and see if it improves. It's weird but apparently the left ports heat up easily and cause all sorts of problems with thermals and tend to quickly activate CPU throttles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's actually a good thought - I had read about the left-side port causing some odd issues. However, I am always plugged into the right side ports. Maybe I will experiment with the ports though to see if there is any difference. Thank you! The mystery continues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me to it seems that noise is coming inside the computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacobc44043305_0-1605199391401.png

but seriously, ya I'm getting this too.  Is happening when I'm just moving layers in with SHIFT -> in my file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same sound issue when I'm using the Direct Selection tool to select different points.

Software: Adobe Illustrator v 25.0.1

Hardware: 2019 Macbook Pro 16in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have a PC laptop, with the Nvidia RTX 2070 and the Photoshop 2021 makes this annoying noise when enable layer, move layer or change hue saturation values. I tested the old versions, and only the 2021 version does this.Wierd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Photoshop on my new pc 11900K + RTX3090 Asus rog strix OC and i have exactly this weird ( clipping like HDD reading ) sound when i move,enable/disable layers/groups etc.

Sound comes directly from PC Tower

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same thing! I feel like it shouldn't be making that sound. Would be nice to hear an answer from Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Lightroom Classic on iMac 2017 27". I clean installed OS (due to some unrelated issue), but the problem persists between installs. The sound is definitely not coming from speakers and definitely not a coil whine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on a Windows 10 PS - If I drag and move a layer, wild clicking noises from inside the PC tower. Whatever it is, it's more annoying than the new text tool, and that's saying something.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol, same thing happened using the transform tool, on the sliders and when I'm scaling / rotating object (in both adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, be it version 2020 or 2022). Specs: Macbook Pro 14" with M1 Pro. Funny thing is the Macbook Air M1 nor my old Macbook pro 2015 Intel i7 don't have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Somewhat similar issue here - using 2021 iMac, both Photoshop '22 and '23 on multiple iterations of Apple OS (Monterey and Ventura).

The clicking first started when using the Refine Edge Brush in Select and Mask mode - but has now evolved to clicking when using any brush in Select and Mask mode, nudging layers with the Move tool, resizing layers with the Transform tool, longer extended brush strokes with the Stamp tool, any use of the Spot Healing Brush, making quick selections and expanding them, and most recently moving any slider on an adjustment layer.

I bought this desktop computer in June, and the issue started in September with seemingly no ties to an update or any other stressor - everything else runs smoothly, the computer isn't in a room with above average dust or smoke, no power surges or water spills. It literally hasn't been moved since I set it up.

I have an open case with both Apple and Adobe. Apple says they've exhausted all available troubleshooting options short of reinstalling the OS (which I believe, it feels like we've been through every troublshooting method known to man) and they're not optimistic about that doing anything as I've already been through multiple OS with the issue persisting. None of Adobe's troubleshooting has been successful either.

What confuses me most is the fact that the issue keeps escalating in scale? It started with only the Refine Edge brush and it feels like every week there's something new making the clicking noise. What on earth could be causing this with that amount of variability? Has anyone else experienced a similar escalation?

Truly at my wits end here. Thankfully this practically brand new computer is under warrenty, but Apple won't help if the issue is with anything other than their hardware and/or software - and since the issue is thus far occurring only in Photoshop I'm afraid Apple won't do sh*t unless I'm somehow able to prove it's not Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines