Highlighted

macOS Catalina 10.15.2 - Photoshop Crashing Whenever You Try & Create New File

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Thought I was doing the right thing, by updating my Macbook to the curreny OS Catalina 10.15.2.

However, since I've updated the iOS and attempted to open Photoshop it crashes whenever I try and create a new file. Opens fine, but then select new>enter details>click OK it just shuts down on me. I get the same thing, if I try dragging an image over to a blank page, it just crashes. 

I've since read lots of issues with the OS update and capability issues, with Photoshop along with various workarounds. But I can't find anything similar to my issue. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

macOS Catalina 10.15.2 - Photoshop Crashing Whenever You Try & Create New File

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Thought I was doing the right thing, by updating my Macbook to the curreny OS Catalina 10.15.2.

However, since I've updated the iOS and attempted to open Photoshop it crashes whenever I try and create a new file. Opens fine, but then select new>enter details>click OK it just shuts down on me. I get the same thing, if I try dragging an image over to a blank page, it just crashes. 

I've since read lots of issues with the OS update and capability issues, with Photoshop along with various workarounds. But I can't find anything similar to my issue. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Topics

Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop?

iOS is the OS for the iPad. The latest version is 13. Catalina is the OS for the Mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I meant OS (not iOS) Catalina 10.15.2 for the Macbook. 

I'm using 2015. I open Photoshop, try to do something (namely start a new or open an existing), and it just closes down on me. The program is already added to my privacy settings, as suggested by another forum user. Any assistance would be most apprecaited. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that Photoshop is crashing when you create a new file, could you please try adding Photoshop to macOS Security & Privacy settings and let us know if it helps?
Please check the steps here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macosmojave.html#Penpressuredoesnotworkandbusy...

Regards.
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Photoshop is already in my privacy settings. 

Any suggests to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of interest why are you using Photoshop CC2015 rather than 2020?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited the MacBook from my brother. Not being a massive regular user, what I've got really suits my needs and level. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know you're supposed to have your own subscription for that?

Aside from that, Catalina absolutely requires that Photoshop is up to date - which is to say, PS 2020 (version 21). While 2015 may run if you're lucky (and probably only because it was already installed) you can expect a lot of problems.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html 

"Adobe does not recommend that customers using old versions of Photoshop upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Incompatible versions (version 19.x and earlier) will not display in the ‘Older Versions’ list within the Creative Cloud desktop app"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would save you a lot of heartache and get you up to speed if you took some lessons in using Photoshop.

There are some very good books, such as the  Classroom in a Book series https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Classroom-Book-release/dp/0136447996/ref=sr_1_1?crid=14BLBWMC... and sometimes there are classes in local colleges. There are also excellent online video tutorials from companies such as Linkedin Learning (you can get 30-days free access): https://www.linkedin.com/learning/

And of course come back to this friendly forum with specific questions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your other choice besides what Dag said about upgrading to PS 2020 is to roll back your OS to one that will run 2015.

To run a legal version in your own name, here are the current plans:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html
The Photography plan (Annual, $9.99 per month) is a good deal if all you want is Photoshop and Lightroom.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the book link. I'll take a look at that. I don't use it on a regular basis, so picking that up will help bridge some gaps in my knowledge 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you stay with 2015, then be sure to buy that version from Amazon. It will match what you have and is significantly cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0134308131/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of Photoshop and every time I'm using it (ever since I updated to Catalina) my computer keeps shutting down 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines