• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic Wand doesn't work

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first started using Photoshop with version 4.0and I've used every major version till now... CS6.

During all that time I had always used Corel as my drawing program and I was just too lazy to learn Illustrator. I finally learned to use Illustrator and I love it. best thing ever and I use it almost exclusivly. This has given me a really stupid problem. It's almost as though I've forgoten how to use Photoshop.

I've recently run into a problem I've never had before. I can't select things with the magic Wand tool. I get the error...

Could not use the Magic Wand tool because the target is a fill layer"  and the toll is Xed out. What am I missing. No doubt this is something new to newer versions???Screen Capture.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Ctrl + click on layer's thumbnail to load selection from transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A fill layer is canvas size and is either empty, solid color, gradient  or pattern. The shape layer you show is a pinkish shade solid fill layer with a circle vector layer mask. You can change the fill but you can not use photoshop tool on the pixels in the fill. Selection are are made from a targeted layer what do you wast to select the fill or the vector mask. It the layer Kind that is giving you  the problem. It not a raster layer that you can select areas or color  I would also think some selection tool can not be used on adjustment layers. There are many Photoshop Tools and like 24 layer kinds. Using a Wrong tools will result in message like that.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines