Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic Wand madness

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I use the magic wand a lot in cutting out backgrounds on complex images. 

The backgrounds are mostly black or dark in colour and the areas I remove are defined by a good erase border to ensure the area I am removing is well detached from what i want to keep.

Today, after working for some time with no issues, the magic wand tool suddenly started to select large random undifined areas well out of the bounds of the area cut out to be removed.

I have tried everything to fix it, deleting preferences, resetting the tool and so on.

When that didnt work, I uninstalled and re-installed to the latest version which was what i had installed.

No joy there. I then uninstalled agaon and installed the previous version, noi joy there either.

I save a lot of time by using the magic wand to remove unwanted areas, and this is now making life difficult.

The only probable difference tomnormal usage of the wand is that I am working at x800 maginfication, but this has never been a problem before, or at x1200.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the screenshots on which we might see the Tool’s actual settings, Layer structure etc.? 

What is the Eyedropper Tool’s Sample Size? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the tool set at 3x3 average and am now trying it on the default settings of Tolerance 32,  anti-alias and contiguous ticked. These are exactly the same settings I use on my Macbook which does exactly what I expect it to do when cutting out.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Please forget my post!

For whever reason the problem started, it has now recitified itself.

I can only guess that the back ground was a bit grainy (stacked image) and not pure black, or I have hit a key that did something.
Anyway, everything seems to be back on track now, sorry to have wasted your time.

Thanks to c.pfaffenbichler for his reply.

Regards,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines