• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic Wand Selection Problem

Participant ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to lighten the color  of the cabin only using the magic wand selection tool.

I must have some setting wrong as it chooses much more than just the brown.  My current settings are

Sample Size: Point Sample

Tolerance: 32

Anti-alis (checked)

Contiguous (checked)

gratitude1_fk.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

what you could do here is make a quick selection with the lasso tool around the cabin then go into Color Range. This is a trick that doesn't seem to be widely known but the Color Range tool will just work on the selected parts of the cabin only and so contamination from the trees and other very dark areas cannot happen. As an example I tried it on your image and it works reasonably well. Off course when you lighten the timbers of the cabin you will highlight noise in the shadows.

chalet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Is »Sample All Layers« checked?

Try reducing the Tolerance setting, some of the trees in the background might be very close to the wood luminance-wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScreenPrint.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting enter should highlight the Tolerance field immediately, please try a lower setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what you could do here is make a quick selection with the lasso tool around the cabin then go into Color Range. This is a trick that doesn't seem to be widely known but the Color Range tool will just work on the selected parts of the cabin only and so contamination from the trees and other very dark areas cannot happen. As an example I tried it on your image and it works reasonably well. Off course when you lighten the timbers of the cabin you will highlight noise in the shadows.

chalet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great.  This all was helpful.  I learned a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my pleasure, come back if you need further help

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines