• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major bugs in new update; Replaced new version with old one to fix issues

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started with the layer blending modes such as "color", "saturation", and "hue." Before the 20.0 update, all the setting were running beautifully without lags or complications. After the update, the blending modes started acting up and creating a discolored block pattern whenever used. I had to stop using those layer functions al together to avoid problems. However, I continued to use photoshop due to my crammed schedule and desire to work beyond to few problems to complete my projects. This only made things worse as the blending modes became increasingly buggy. Soon photoshop simply stopped processing changes after clicking on the blending mode drop-down menu. It registered my actions but wouldn't show them to me. I was working blind and only restarting the program would fix it.

I decided a full reinstall was necessary. I hoped that would reset the program to the point of removing the errors in the code, but it didn't help at all. I reinstalled the 62-bit program through creative cloud onto my 2017 2-in-1 laptop with a Windows 10 system. This computer has only run Windows 10 and has all the requirements to run all the adobe products including Lightroom and Illustrator that have presented no problems over a year and a half of using them.

After the reinstall solved nothing, I went back, uninstalled the 20.0 version and reinstalled the 19.1.6 version of Photoshop. I no longer have errors while using the program. For those having problems, I highly suggest completely uninstalling the versions you have and reinstalling the older version.

Adobe, please correct these issues. I rather liked some of the changes that were made.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Most those issues are related to the new compositing engine. Have you tried checking "Legacy Compositing" in the preferences under Performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most those issues are related to the new compositing engine. Have you tried checking "Legacy Compositing" in the preferences under Performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it helped, thanks, even the screen-shot did ...Screenshot_cc2019 Blend mode color errors.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "new world" of rapid software releases and fast networking to download big files quickly to fix problems is why Adobe doesn't actually replace your older version when they make a version release. 

Before uninstalling (which, by the way you didn't need to do; Creative Cloud allows you to retain and use both new and old versions), did you try making the configuration change to re-enable the Legacy Compositing process (in the Performance preference panel)?

I did some counting, I never remove old versions (plenty of spare disk space), and between 32 and 64 bit editions, I actually have 25 different Photoshop versions installed.

May I recommend, in the future, if you're going to download and install a new version that you consider keeping the older version installed.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Adobe is working hard to create a 20.0.1 release that will fix the big problems. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I was keeping some older versions of PS, but 25!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I miscounted before I guess.  Just 23...

Photoshops.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had CS2, CS3, CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, CC 2015.5,  CC 2017  installed.  Some versions like CS6 both 32bit and 64bit versions.  However, a preview version of Windows 10  broke my Windows system and I had to rebuild my systems.  I  had problems with several Preview builds on my Workstation and On my Surface pro 3. with different preview builds but never lost Windows. When I lost both system  I decided to drop out of Microsoft prerelease program.  I had to actually take my surface Pro 3 to a Microsoft store there they  had a USB flash disk that was able to install Windows on my surface pro 3.  I was not allow a copy.   All Installer I had download from Microsoft Site had failed to work on my surface corrupter by the bad preview build..

I  did not feel it was worth the effort to re-install all the versions of Photoshop.  I now only have CS6, CC 2014,  CC 2018 and CC 2019 installed.  CC 2019 seems not too bad but If my machine goes to seep when I wake it up  CC 2019 is none responsive.  If Adobe fixes the issues in CC 2019 I will most likely remove CC 2018.  CS6 and CC 2014 are good backup versions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while I agree that the new Photoshop has issues... you can (and I do) run both Photoshop 2019 + 2018 on the same system

this gives you a stable Photoshop and the new options to play with when the deadline has been meet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous version of PS has the old compositing, but 2019 gives you a choice, until they fix all the bugs. PS needs some updating such as this, but it's nearly impossible for Adobe to test PS under all the different hardware and software configurations that exists, even with a bunch of beta testers. So while they think they may have had a good working copy, bugs appear when released to the general public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, I didn't realize it was possible to have multiple versions going at once. I think that's what was happening at first, but the composite must have kicked in somewhere along the way. Anyway, thanks for addressing this. Your information has helped. For now I'll stick with the old version until I have time to play with it some more.

BTW, does this kind of thing usually happen with updates? Do the new versions have legacy features as a built-in failsafe? I've never heard of that before, and I want to be prepared for the next big update if this kind of thing happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often there are settings you can throw to re-enable old functionality, yes.

Sometimes you have to get a bit geeky and edit PSUserConfig.txt to get to some of them.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang. I just hope I never have to get too involved. I have very little programing skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Noel+Carboni  wrote

Often there are settings you can throw to re-enable old functionality, yes.

Sometimes you have to get a bit geeky and edit PSUserConfig.txt to get to some of them.

-Noel

It brings a big smile to my face seeing Noel and Chuck bouncing thoughts and  information off each other.  Noel, I don't remember the exact details of your epic raid0 boot drive, but the last I remember it used six SSDs in that raid0, and you used it for for all sorts of things.  So plenty of room for previous Photoshop versions.  Chuck has a talent for coming out of left field with Photoshop solutions most people might never have thought of, and Noel, while being a huge Photoshop expert, is possibly even more knowledgeable when it comes to the Windows operating system.   If Noel does spend more time on this forum, then some of the Microsoft engineers might have a wee sigh of relief, because he has been keeping them honest on the MS forums since he stopped posting here. 

Noel, I am also hoping you can answer a few Starfilter Pro 4 questions, so I'll start a thread if that's OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

You're too kind.  I'm just here getting a feel for what's up with Photoshop lately in the world, and to help out however I can.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When there is a major update to code, there is often a fallback in the preferences to the old method, but not always. It depends on the update and if it's possible to have both. Adobe will try to leave some legacy feature in PS until they can work out most of the bugs with the new system. Plus, as mentioned, you can also have older versions installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think something changed in Adobe development process after CS3.  Up to CS3 and including CS3  Adobe tested Photoshop well before releasing a new version there were very few bugs in new versions of Photoshop and I looked forward for a new release.  I skipped CS4 Adobe was adding GPU support a major undertaking, CS5 had some bugs CS6 was a disaster and very unstable crashed all the time for 5 month till Adobe fixed 506 core issues.   I always test new versions of Photoshop these days.  Adobe does not test code well anymore  sometimes I wonder it they do any regression testing at all. I know there will be bugs we need to work around in new Photoshop versions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myself I went back to v19. Not because of the bugs but the horrible tool behavior performance. Free transform? Shift or not to shift or free is not free unless you like click and release shift click and release. Clicky clicky clicky. (fixed by coding PSConfig)

I used to shortcut free transform then pull a ruler over to center marks Horz and Vert (Poor mans method of quick centering). in v20 it appears that when you click the ruler free transform no longer shows the center mark and is no longer the focus. Or you miss clicked? Gota get the free transform tool out again.

Other little behavior issues here and there. Basically this "new" milestone upgrade is really just a poorly coded beta. Nothing like free beta testers! Lets face it. If you have to hack a brand new program just to get a normal function to work as it has always worked since its inception, then an engineer made a huge mistake in not putting that in the preferences for the user to choose or they did some shoddy coding and are expecting users to modify code in the application (hacks).

Reminds me of Windows 95 and the registry. "Oh all you have to do in order to get print to work is edit the registry)

(Insert a massive tactical face palm here)

Now lets be honest. If the business model is by default to keep the old and the new but hide the fact they can install older versions well lets think about cars.

How many people own a car? How many people keep their old car and not trade it in on a new car because they have to have at least 2 or 3 cars in the driveway because the new car still breaks down a lot.

Yeah. Bad business model in the end because after a while another car company may come along and they may make a car that is actually dependable.

As to version 20. Let me know when everyone is done beta testing it and it actually becomes something that can be used in a production environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines