Quick Steps! Create a color stamp brush

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holly border.jpg

How to create a colored stamp brush from an image

Holly border.jpg

If you like creating posters, newsletters, or other projects that include a repeating graphic, you might consider turning it into a brush. Here are step by step instructions to create a color brush.

Launch Photoshop and create a new document

• Launch Photoshop your desktop and create a new document by selecting file-new from the menu 

(shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd N)

• A new window will open with options. Set the desired file size of the file in pixels based on the maximum size you want your brush to be. Mine are usually between 200 and 400 pixels.

• Be sure to scroll down to Background Contents, select Transparent  and click OK. This will ensure you don’t have a solid box around your brush

Create the brush content

• Now, you can paint, use shapes, or copy a selection from a photo to create the content of your brush

• I painted some holly to use for my brush. Remember to keep the background transparent.

2 holly paint.png

❸ Select the Mixer Brush Tool

• Long-Click on the brush tools to bring up the flyout and choose the Mixer Brush Tool from the options

3 mixer brush tool.png

• Choose the hard round default brush

111 brush.png

• Set the options to Dry, Heavy Load, Wet: 0%, Load 100%, Flow 100%

9 dry heavy load.png

Capture the brush image

• Set the brush size large enough that your image fits inside of it (shortcut: Use the bracket keys to adjust the size)

• Hold down the Alt/Option key and click in the center of your image to capture the brush

• You will see the image appear in the Current Brush Load swatch at the top

4 circle.png

• Tap the > to the right of the brush image preview box
  • Ensure load solid colors only is not checked

111load brush.png

• Enable Automatic Load and ensure Clean is not enabled 

111autoreload brush with arrow.jpg

❺ Adjust the brush settings

• From the main menu, choose Window>Brush Settings to bring up the brush options (or click on the icon of the brush on the folder next to the brush size setting)
  • Tap on Brush Tip Space and move the slider to the right until it looks like bouncing circles with space between them
  • This will space your image out and keep your brush from looking like a long tube
  • You can play with this setting to see how different spacings look

12 brush tip spacing.png

• Now click on Shape Dynamics

• Change the Angle Jitter Control option to Direction

12 shape tip control.png

• If you have a pressure sensitive pen and you want the size to vary with pen pressure, you can also change the Size Jitter control option to Pen Pressure
  • Close the Brush Settings panel

Save and name your brush settings

• Tap on the + symbol at the bottom right of the brush settings 

111plus.jpg

• Check the option Include Color and if desired, Capture Brush Size in Preset and Include Tool Settings
  • Name your brush and click on OK to save it

xxxsave.png

Use your new brush

• Create a new file or add a new layer and give your new brush a try!
  • If you want to make a border, you can stamp the brush once, hold down the shift key, and then stamp where you want the last one. Photoshop will line them all up in a straight line. 
  • Clicking the brush once will work like a stamp. 
  • Painting with the brush will make a series of stamps that follow your brush stroke with the spacing you set before

Related Links:

Create and modify brushes in Adobe Photoshop

Photoshop brush presets

You can use this to create borders for a holiday newsletter or any other number of projects you can imagine!

22 HAPPY HOLIDAYS.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merry Christmas, Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome! Merry Christmas to you, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, great!! Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, looks great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Might use it in a project for my students next semester. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, I'm learning from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am going to try this as soon as possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A really cool addition would be if the brush preset picker showed the actual image of the brush like is shown in the Mixer Brush current brush load window instead of just a solid color brush.

bas.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This initially seemed ideal for what I was trying to do, but I can't get the sampled image to rotate. In step 5 you mention setting angle jitter to 'direction' but that doesn't affect the image, only the brush tip. If using a round brush like suggested, why mention the 'direction' option as it doesn't seem to change anything visibly? I've looked everywhere and tried various settings, but how can I get the sampled image to rotate with the direction my pen is travelling?

Apart from that issue, everything else was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing. Are you want to learn more tutorials, visit my website and improve your skills.

(link removed by moderator) Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make the full color brush follow the stroke direction? Angle Jitter->Direction won't work here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This type of full color stamp brush will remain the same direction and won't rotate as you paint with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool tut! I got to it from the Create and Modify Brushes page, in which they say the brush preview panel has been discontinued in the Jan 2020 update. How do you make this brush, especially since you say look at the brush preview panel in some of your instructions, without a brush preview panel? It seems like modifying any brush would be a serious PITA without a preview panel! Any tips would be appreciated! TY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very cool app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this!!! Good lord, I spent 8 hours trying to accomplish this after watching a 3-year-old YouTube tutorial that took me a couple of hours to find while searching. I could not recreate the technique on PS CC 2023 to save my neck. But, thanks to the queen, Miss Patti-F, this worked, dadgummit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only just found this tutorial so not sure if anyone will answer this - but I am having issues with a newly created stamp brush (using the technique here) just overwrites the previous stamp brush I made (again, using the technique here). Any idea what I am doing wrong? I am using PS 2023 so perhaps thats part of it. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue- can someone advise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution! You have to save it as a tool preset. See the end of this tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCW9VzFXfnI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good find! I am still a bit confused about the whole process and have had mixed results but I will keep experimenting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! I'm wondering if there is a way to have any color variation settings on the stamp brush, does anyone know? Like being able to have a colored stamp but being able to change the hue/saturation/brightness when you use it. I'm trying to make a plant brush with those properties!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines