• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Photoshop actions independent from language

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make the photoshop actions and scripts independent of the phosothop language setting. It is incredibly tedious to either change Photoshop to another language or translate the actions and scripts. And don't blame it on the authors of the actions and scripts, because here this is your responsibility.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Anyway, what are you talking about? 

Please provide meaningful information; in the case of Actions at least screenshots of the fully expanded Actions in the Actions Panel or better the atn-files, in the case of Scripts the affected Scripts. 

»And don't blame it on the authors of the actions and scripts, because here this is your responsibility.«

That seems to be a nonsensical claim, but maybe if you elaborate it might be possible to clear up the misunderstanding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don`t tell me you don`t know that any(!) Photoshop using language other than English is unable to work with the thousands of available actions provided and sold around the world.

It is a massive deficite of Adobes photoshop. Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I felt your pain when I worked with polish actions on english photoshop and etcetera, especially when they were huge. You don't script, so I guess you can request for making actions universal at Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the actual problem? 

That Layers or Channels were referenced by name and the Actions did not include renaming newly created Layers or Channels? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For ex. the english Ps action tried to select recorded polish 'Warstwa 1' that's normally a 'Layer 1'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I disagree with the OP; it is the responsibility of the creators of Actions to ascertain that they meet certain standards (concerning unequivocal identification of layers in this case) if they want to share them widely. 

I think in a Script few people would address Layers by name and subsequently this issue wouldn’t arise, but Actions are by design a little more »basic«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some auto-translated names can't be changed like locked background or names of channels so that is still problem when the non-english company order set of actions made in english release for their employees speaking only their native language. Or else when someone who is working remotely in english version has to deal with other language for tests. That is one of my reasons I resigned from using actions to write scripts only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So action creators should deliver actions for 178 languages?

Tell us how this is possible? Adobe has the possibilities to add a toll or addon to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So action creators should deliver actions for 178 languages?

Of course not, how did you arrive at this outlandish conclusion? 

People who create Actions that they intend to distribute to users who may use other language versions of Photoshop should keep to best practices to avoid the problems.

For example not rely on default names for Layer/Channel/Path selection but introduce stringent naming on the Action or navigate via position etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest that you put forward your feature request at the following Adobe feedback site, as this is a user-to-user forum you need to catch Adobe's attention in a place where it may make a difference:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/where-do-i-post-photoshop-bugs-and-feature-requests/td-p/10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @c.pfaffenbichler and @Stephen_A_Marsh for the clarification. I had searched unsuccessfully for Photoshop Uservoice (as it exists for InDesign and Illustrator), so I wrote here because I didn't know Photoshop Family existed.
Sorry, my bad.

On Photoshop Family I found a solution that can solve the problem by installing Photoshop in German and English in parallel. Which is, as @Kukurykus mentioned, not the solution for all use cases (when you e.g. do not speak English at all) but seems to work ok for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A possible way to avoid language problems is to use keyboard shortcuts to select layers. For example, the background layer has different names in different languages, but you can use a shortcut to select the lowest layer. This way, you will not record the name of the layer, which might cause errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines