Marquee Tool not working in Photoshop 22.2

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest PS update.I have opened a PSD image that I previously edited. When I press the marquee tool I get a black square next to the tool bar and the tool is not working. I have tried different layers, unlocked the backgroung layer to no avail. Other tools eg Lasso tool, work. What am I missing?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while using the Marquee tool. Would you mind telling us which operating system are you working on? Are you facing this issue with all marquee tools (like Rectangular marquee, Elliptical marquee, etc.)? It would be helpful is you could share a screenshot so that we can see the black square you're referring to.

You can try resetting the tool using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html#tool

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your responses.
I reset tools but that had no effect.
I went to preferences, performance and PhotoAnt, Ctlshop locked up. I
resorted to "Alt Ctrl delete to start again.
I am using Windows 10.
The black square comes up whenever I put the cursor on any tool but the
other tools work. The square disappears when I move the cursor to the image.
Screen shot attached,

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines