• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking issues, real-time refinements not working

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with masks, I can refine with the brush tool or the global refinement sliders for initial selections, but I can't preview alterations to an existing mask...at least not in the large image—I can see it in the tiny thumbnail in the properties panel! I'm watching tutorials where people are doing this (I'm trying to learn how to use the new Refine Hair feature), but even following along with the tutorials I can't preview my changes to a selection within the Select and Mask interface. When I hit ok, I see the refined mask, but not until then. What am I doing wrong, or is it a glitch? Why would I be able to see the changes to the thumbnail but not on the artboard? *I've tried toggling on and off the Graphics Processor settings as I read in another thread, but it didn't work. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Hi, try to update to 22.4.2 as it is supposed to fix the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. just wondering if you've tried viewing under all the options in the preview thumbnail? By default, that thumbnail has a setting of really high transparency, so the big image just doesn't show anything. Try increasing or decreasing the transparency setting under that top option. But also, that thumbnail has a bunch of different ways to see your work. Click on the thumbnail and a bunch of other viewing options will show up. Hope this helps.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I have played with all of those options 😕 it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in the current version. It affects previews when Select and Mask is entered by double clicking a layer mask. Entering with our without a selection works OK.

You can add to the bug report below :

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-v224-select-and-mask-workspace-prev...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave! Don't you love it when you spend hours trying to figure something out only to find a thread that states it's a "Acknowledged" issue? I wonder why it works for those making the tutorials but not those of us trying to learn from the tutorials? It's so frustrating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug only appeared in 22.4. The tutorials were probably made using an earlier version. I'm sure it will get resolved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a bug Adobe introduced in the 22.4. version of photoshop, but kindly forgot to tell us. Anyway, there is a workaround for now.

To my testing the bug only shows up if you have layer mask and you click "select and mask", than the "real-time refinement" fetures is grayed out and does not show live results, but applies the adjustment after you click ok. If you only make a selection and you go to "select and mask" than it works, but not if you are going from layer that has a layer mask.

One workaround is to CTRL or Command right mouse click on the layer maks to make it active. Than Shift right mouse button click on the layer mask to deactivate it and than with still active selection go to ""select and mask" interface. It should work than. Once you makde your adjustments, you can ALT or Option mouse drag the layer mask to the trash can and delete it and than simply with you new selection active, create a new layer mask.

Its few extra steps, but until adobe team stops changing menu names to appease the alphabet crowd and starts actually testing their programs before release, we are stuck with this and bunch of other nasty bugs. Like mising incons of the third party panels and off course inexplicably strange idea to change "save as" command into something else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, try to update to 22.4.2 as it is supposed to fix the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 22.5.1 and I am seeing the same issue.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Win 10, PS CC 24.3.0, Select and Mask - Real-Time Refinement is grayed out.  Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but i change quick selection tool to refine edge brush tool, then i uncheck real-time refinement. where the select menu press select and mask (and the Real-time Refinement)  to  uncheck it. I hope this help if you didn't know if you did.

Sorry but the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi did you ever get an answer to this issue.  I'm using the current CC Ver 24.3.0 and the real-time refinement is grayed out, I cannot see my edits until I exit select and mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the issue resolved and hasn't returned once I updated. It was a known bug with that version. Sorry not to be more helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if you ever found an answer to this.

"Real-time refinement" will be greyed out if under the "Refine Mode" menu option you have "Object Aware" selected. Switch it to "Color Aware" and you should see "Real-time refinement" come back to life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines