• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Meaning of colors when holding alt/option and clicking on black slider

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question applies to ACR, the Camera Raw filter in Photoshop and the Develop module in Lightroom. I am familiar with using the Blacks slider.  When I hold the Alt/Option key and click on the slider, it reveals those areas that are, I suppose, black in the image.  But it rarely shows them as black.  What is the significance of the color it shows?

For instance, I have a photograph where the woman's dress is a royal blue (#023864, or r-2, g-56, b-100).  When I use the Option key with the Blacks slider, it shows up as cyan.  What is the significance of the cyan color? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

It's a clipping indicator. It shows you which channels are clipping where.

It's just a visual aid. Personally I find it of very little usefulness.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a clipping indicator. It shows you which channels are clipping where.

It's just a visual aid. Personally I find it of very little usefulness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That's actually quite interesting and useful to me anyway.  In the case of the royal blue dress that shows up as cyan when I use Option with the Blacks slider, the red channel is solid black.  As with many of these types of questions, once you know the answer it's obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Low end clipping behaves the opposite of high end clipping. When the red channel clips, the result is cyan. No red information = cyan. When the blue channels clips, the result is yellow. And so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines