Highlighted

menu cursor lag in PS 21.2.2

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So like every single other human being on Earth, I was using the PSUserConfig file with "UseSystemStylus 0" and "TransforProportionalScale 0" which has fixed the various bugs that Adobe haven't been able to fix for as many years as I can remember. 

Since 21.2.2 we have been forced to disable the config file in order to get brush sensitivity. But now the dreaded 'lag' or 'snag' is back and without the config file I have no way to rid myself of it. It's easy to reproduce. Simply open a menu with sliders (e.g. brush panel) then use your wacom pen to move the slider - it will stick/lag/snag to the initial point then snap to the cursor location after either a period of time or ditance (I've never been able to work out which it is). This lag doesn't occur using wintab, but has always happened when using the dreaded Windows Ink. Despite me disabling as many Windows Ink settings as possible in Windows, I still get the lag. Of course the lag is not present when using a mouse. 

As an industry concept artist I cannot work with these lags. I need a fast and nimble workflow. 

Any suggestions please? 

Using Win10pro and Wacom Intuos Pro L on a lightning fast laptop. 

Wouldn't it be lovely if Adobe could test their updates even just a tiny bit before release? 

Topics

Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

menu cursor lag in PS 21.2.2

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So like every single other human being on Earth, I was using the PSUserConfig file with "UseSystemStylus 0" and "TransforProportionalScale 0" which has fixed the various bugs that Adobe haven't been able to fix for as many years as I can remember. 

Since 21.2.2 we have been forced to disable the config file in order to get brush sensitivity. But now the dreaded 'lag' or 'snag' is back and without the config file I have no way to rid myself of it. It's easy to reproduce. Simply open a menu with sliders (e.g. brush panel) then use your wacom pen to move the slider - it will stick/lag/snag to the initial point then snap to the cursor location after either a period of time or ditance (I've never been able to work out which it is). This lag doesn't occur using wintab, but has always happened when using the dreaded Windows Ink. Despite me disabling as many Windows Ink settings as possible in Windows, I still get the lag. Of course the lag is not present when using a mouse. 

As an industry concept artist I cannot work with these lags. I need a fast and nimble workflow. 

Any suggestions please? 

Using Win10pro and Wacom Intuos Pro L on a lightning fast laptop. 

Wouldn't it be lovely if Adobe could test their updates even just a tiny bit before release? 

Topics

Bug, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lag also occurs when resiszing a transform box...which is infinitely annoying and hindering and obviously a really bad idea if deliberate. 

Noticing lots of general lag in menus with the wacom now, and also the dreaded Windows Ink cursor 'ring' sometimes appears in menus despite being turned off in Windows. 

Just ditch Windows Ink already! It's abysmal! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So like every single other human being on Earth, I was using the PSUserConfig file............"

Not this human being, I've been using Windows Ink for the last few releases without issues. However, if you don't want to use Windows Ink then you will need to step back to an earlier release as v21.2.2 does not work with Wintab. If you choose to uninstall and then install an earlier version make sure you back up presets etc first, or you could lose them.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every other human then 😉

So you don't get this lag? I've noticed it on different machines and different versions whenever Windows Ink is being used. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't get a lag. Undoubtably some folk do though so I don't think you are alone.

Dave.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If yot look at photoshop pen tablet windows ink you will see that Adobe knows about this....

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm That's very interesting if you don't get the lag. May I ask what spec your setup is? You using Win10pro and an Intuos? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack Thanks JJMack for the info. Good to know they're working on it, though would have been nicer to do that before releasing it! Maybe they'll learn a leasson from this...or maybe I'll learn to stop blindly trusting new updates and hold back until the forums convince me it's safe. Shouldn't need be that way though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@readjeff

My current set up is :
OS Windows 10 Pro (v1909) ; Tablet Wacom Intuos Pro M (driver 6.3.36-1) ; Processor Intel i7-3930K;  RAM 64GB ; GPU RTX2080ti (studio driver 451.48) ; over 1TB free scratch disk space + several storage disks; 2 monitors each 2560 x 1440 giving 5120 x1440 px desktop space.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. Very strange as our set-ups are very similar wit hte exception of CPU (mine is an i9) but the rest is all very similar. I wonder why I get the Windows Ink lag and you don't? As I mentioned before, I have noticed it on other machines I have used too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lag can be cause by many things events like interactions feature like press and hold feedback double tap distance etc. Slow processes overwhelmed resources. When it come to  brushes if I eliminate the pen so things like tilt, pressure etc  are not involved and used a mouse  withe the proper unrealistic brush settings  I can start a stroke now and watch  Photoshop lay it down for the next hour. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lag is not in brush strokes, it is in menus and when using transform windows or dragging things like layers. It is more of a 'snag' than lag, as it just stays at the initial press point before snapping back to the cursor after a time/distance. 

I have disabled as many Windows Ink settings as I can find in Windows. Press and hold is disabled, as are swift keys, double tap, etc. 

My laptop is an absolute powerhouse though so it is certainly not a resource matter. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling GPU support in Photoshop restart Photoshop. Some features will not work. Just check to see it your lag with Transform any windows change.

Also make sure you laptop dose not have two different GPU enabled. and Intel and one in your displays chipset.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will try that, though it feels very much like it's related to Win Ink...especially as it only started happening this version. 

I don't need to disable gpu as my laptop has a destop CPU so it thinks its a desktop and doesn't ever decide onboard over GPU. . 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not thinking your are guessing look and see that is not guessing windows device manager will show what is what. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to test as WinTab is now fixed in 21.2.3 so I can go back to activating my PSUserConfig file and the snagging is gone. 

NOTE: If I deactivate the PSUserConfig file then the cursor snag comes back. It is clearly Windows Ink that is the problem, even if Windows is told that apps can override Windows functionality. 

Down with Windows Ink. Long live WinTab! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
readjeff LATEST
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the alt-lasso bug is back when WinTab is used 😞

So do you want horrid cursor snagging/lagging or do a working (ALT) lasso tool? So frustrating as they're both crucial to my work flow, but it's not really a question as a smooth cursor/menu experience is imperative...so I'll have to live with the lasso bug and accept a slower work speed.

How do we submit official bugs to Adobe? There seems to be multiple forums, none of which have many official responses. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines