Highlighted

Merging multiple files consecutively

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi any advice on this would be gratefully received.

To try and make problem understandable:

1. I have two files (call them File 1 snd File 2) each with 120 layers.

2. I want to drag all the layers from one File 1 into File 2 and position them (the layers are an animations so I just make one layer visible and use this to position all 120 layers).

3. Then I want to merge the layers from each file consecutively so that the top layer from one File 1 merges with the top layer of File 2. Then the second layer from File 1 with the second layer from File 2. And so on until I am left with 120 layers merged from the two files.

So far I have been doing this manually (dragging the layers into the correct order and using Cmd E to merge down) and it is very time consuming because I have over 100 files to merge in this way. Is there a way I can automate this process? Would be grateful for any feedback ...!

Topics

Actions and scripting, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Merging multiple files consecutively

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi any advice on this would be gratefully received.

To try and make problem understandable:

1. I have two files (call them File 1 snd File 2) each with 120 layers.

2. I want to drag all the layers from one File 1 into File 2 and position them (the layers are an animations so I just make one layer visible and use this to position all 120 layers).

3. Then I want to merge the layers from each file consecutively so that the top layer from one File 1 merges with the top layer of File 2. Then the second layer from File 1 with the second layer from File 2. And so on until I am left with 120 layers merged from the two files.

So far I have been doing this manually (dragging the layers into the correct order and using Cmd E to merge down) and it is very time consuming because I have over 100 files to merge in this way. Is there a way I can automate this process? Would be grateful for any feedback ...!

Topics

Actions and scripting, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are Frame animation open both in Photoshop. The look in the  Frame Animation panel fly-out menu to see  the features for copying and pasting frames between the two animations.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ Mack

I dont think that will work because I have to move the 120 layers from the first file into place in the second file, so there are 240 layers befire I start merging them consecutively, top layer of file one with top layer of file two, as described above, to create a final frame with 120 layers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no problem copying 120 frames from one animation and pasting the frames into the other 120 frames animation.  No matter how you do the paste you will not exceed 500 frames in the third animation you can save. 

I'm quit sure you can link the frames layers of each animation and position all the frames content with a single move of the linked layers. for either animation when combined. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI JJ Mack
Thanks. Yes I know there's no problem copying 120 frames from one animation and pasting the frames into the other 120 frames animation. What I am trying to do is finsd a way of automating this because i may have to it 100+ files and its time consuming

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote you have 2 files now you have 100 files where  did the other 98 file come from.   Is it that you have 100 animation and want to have 50 instead?

I have never seen any automated photoshop process that merge pairs on frame animations.  Do all the frame animations have the same size frame  x pixel wide y pixel high?  If all frames sizes are the same and all animation have 120 frame  and the merging process is identical in all cases you may be able automate  it. You would most likely need to use Photoshop scripting to batch process pairs of files.  I have never tried to automate anything  dealing with Frame animations.

It will be more time consuming if you need to learn to script Photoshop.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said I had over a hundred files in my first post. I want to merge the layers in two files at a time but I have to repeat the process 100+ times because I also need to merge other files. I am very familiar with PS frame animation I use it a lot. Yes I think I will have to use scripting and/or actions. That is what I was asking for advice on (thats why i gave it an 'actions and scripting' tag

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JJMack LATEST
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions are recorded Photoshop steps. However everything you do in Photoshop is not recordable. Actions are easy to record and edit. Actions are for repetitive processes. 

If all  you Animation files will be process exactly alike or a programmable logical way You may be able to program a script to batch process your animations.  It would not be possible with an action.  Action that Batch Process files  do not open the file the Batching Processor does.   Batch processors can use you actions in the batch processioning.  Actions can not use  logic in their processing they are just Photoshop steps  Step Step Step Step Step  etc.  The Batch Processor  Photoshop has are menu File>Automate>Batch and menu File>Scripts>Image Processor.  Neither Processor  processes pairs  of files so your action can merger the two animation document.     You would need to program you own Photoshop Script to process your animation pairs.

You should search the web to see if there are any Photoshop Batch processor the process pairs. There have been thread about processing pairs of files on this site.  I do not remember if solutions were found or developed.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines