Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft dial not working on photoshop CC2018

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I read about the latest update for Photoshop 2018 and after installing the new update, I tested the Microsoft dial and is not showing the brush menu.

I am using the Microsoft Studio all in one, I searched the options inside Photoshop and it shows the icon to activate this option, which is on. I tried rebooting my machine, but no success.

The dial does not show the brush options.

Any help is appreciated.

FCO.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Please verify you are running Win10 OS version 1709.  You can also check Photoshop Preferences > Technology Previews... to make sure that Enable Surface Dial Support is checked.  With Photoshop launched and an image open, long press the dial to bring up the native dial UI and you should see a Brush icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Microsoft Dial support will only work on the latest Windows 10 OS (Fall Creator's Update).  Please verify you have updated and if you are still not seeing functionality, let us know.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK it seems I have 1607 version I will update and see how it goes.

The Strange thing is Windows sais I was up to date, I had to force the update to show me that I was missing a few updates.

thank you for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did update windows, several times, and after a couple of wasted hours, the problem persists.

I press the dial and it does not show the options.

I also look on the dial settings itself but it does not show anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Running latest version of Windows 10 but no added functionality showing in updated photoshop.

Please help!

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please verify you are running Win10 OS version 1709.  You can also check Photoshop Preferences > Technology Previews... to make sure that Enable Surface Dial Support is checked.  With Photoshop launched and an image open, long press the dial to bring up the native dial UI and you should see a Brush icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think I will have to wait to get that because this machine only shows me 1703 other than that it tells me it has the latest update.

The 1709 seems to be the very last update, so not sure we all will have access to that, this should be explained in the Adobe release for 2018.

Well thanks for the help, I'll need to wait for this feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, apologies for that.  It does state here "latest version of Windows 10" but doesn't specifically call out the specific version.  Not sure why it is not showing up for you under Windows Update.  Maybe check with MS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 1709 version of Windows 10 as per Chad's suggestion. Surface Dial is now showing the brush icon with new functionality in Photoshop CC.

Had to update multiple times before 1709 was installed. Just need to keep at it Francis!

Thanks Chad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I unable to run the 1709 update. It tells me it is not applicable to my computer. I am currently running 1703 and want to use the surface dial. It works in Windows but not in Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp... I did all the updates and the dial worked...but Photoshop crashed continuously.  Actually, I can't remember when was the last time Photoshop crashed on me, it is very strange. Not sure if it is the combo of updates, between Microsoft and Photoshop but, sadly I can't use this photoshop version at least until I get out of my deadline.

I noticed big lagging while brushing, and sometimes when I was using the dial it made Photoshop crash.

I switched to the previews version of Photoshop and everything work smoothly as I am used (of course no dial options, but that's OK).

It is fun to use the dial, I find it a little clumsy the way it works, I think it should show you options constantly instead of pushing, selecting, pushing adjusting.  Have you seen how it works with Sketchpad??  That implementation looks more consistent and intuitive.

My two cents.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Francisco, I'm sorry you're having trouble with Photoshop crashing. Can you please copy your system information (Menu Help ==> System Info...) and email me at tristram <at> adobe <dot> com?

Thanks,

David

David Tristram

Photoshop User Interface Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the fall creator's update as well, but nothing. No brush setting and I'm working on a Surface Studio.
I hope I don't get laggy Photoshop as the previous guy.... Just trynna get my brush presets as promised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really a bummer that this topic has been here for two weeks without a solid answer... I would love to use the dial in Ps as promised, but instead I'm just left here empty handed... When and how we get to use the brush settings on Photoshop, surface & dial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it work you need to install the  Windows update1709, that's the very last update from Microsoft, it took a while for my machine to load that update, I am guessing Microsoft is releasing the updates by chunks.

Regarding the computer specs, I am not at the office now I will send you the info soon,  but it is the top model of the surface studio,  the one with the I7 with 32 RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes boss and my soul is yearning.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Anyone who's able to pull of the magic - please let me know when/how you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Francisco, I've been using Surface Studio with Dial without seeing your crash problem.  When you get a chance, send me the system info reported by Photoshop in the Help menu.  Also let me know what your are doing when Photoshop crashes.  That is, *before* the crash.  After the crash I assume there is yelling and pounding on the table. 

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 1709 installed and Photoshop CC 2018. When I long press on the surface dial I can see the brush option in the menu. When I click on the brush option it just shows a blank menu, it does not show the brush options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it could be a GPU issue.  Can you check to make sure Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Process is checked and that the video drivers are up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these "Technology Preview" features language/region dependent ? I have installed everything necessary on a Surface Studio (latest version of Windows and Photoshop), but the Dial support feature isn't available from the Preference Panel – in my Dutch version. I can only (de)activate the new Image Resize Magic and the Let's Mimic MacPaint 1.0 gimmick...

I'll try it later today to install an International version, but it might be helpful to know the full voodoo to get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's getting stranger... On an International English version, the feature isn't mentioned in the Preferences either – but the Dial works !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

With the 19.1 release of Photoshop (Jan 23) , Dial is on by default and we removed the Preference from Tech Previews.  We also added Brush Settings Control support so you can set the dropdown of brush settings to Dial to control things like Size, Scattering, Opacity, etc.  Glad it's working for you.

Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. Running latest version of Photoshop and windows fully updated.  Had the dial for a couple of weeks, and to begin with it worked fine. Now when I try to change brush settings, I just get a blank box and the turning the dial does nothing. Dial works fine in other applications and for non brush settings in Photoshop.

Any one else having this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines