• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing filters in Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2013 Dec 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CC and seem to be missing many of the filters. All of the following are either missing entirely or are missing some of their sub-items: artistic, brush stroke, distort, render (only have lighting effects), stylize filters (about half are missing), sketch, and texture. Am I missing something? Is there some setting I need to enable? In my research, someone suggested selecting the "Show all Filter Gallery groups and names" check box in Preferences -> Plug-Ins. Unfortunately, that didn't have any effect. Photoshop (and all my other Creative Cloud apps are up to date). Any suggestions? Or do I need to contact Support?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to check is Preferences > Plug-ins and make sure 'Show all filter groups and names' is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor. But I already tried that. I was hoping it would be something simple like that and the filters would magically appear...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image mode and bit depth?   Sounds like you would know to check that. 

Are we talking about standard Photoshop filters, or third party plug-ins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RGB - 8 bit. And yes, I'm referring to standard Photoshop filters like Texture and Artistic that are listed in this reference: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/filter-effects-reference.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart photoshop cc after checking Show all Filter Gallery groups and names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R_Kelly wrote:

Did you restart photoshop cc after checking Show all Filter Gallery groups and names?

If yes, it might be an idea to reset your preferences.  (Alt Ctrl Shift imediatley after starting Photoshop)

How long have you have CC?  Did you upgrade from an earlier version, and if so which one?  Have the filters ever worked in CC?

Oh, and have you tried other images? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had CC for a few months (new job). I haven't had to use Photoshop for any of my projects so far, so I'm not sure if the Filters ever worked or not.

I did try your suggestion of resetting the Preferences. And I did restart Photoshop after selecting the "Show all Filter Gallery groups and names" option.

After doing some more digging this morning, I think the problem may be that the Filters plug-in is missing. I've attached a screenshot of my Filter menu looks like (notice that the Filter Gallery item is missing).

filter-menu.png

I browsed to the Required -> Plug-Ins -> Filters folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC\Required\Plug-Ins\Filters). There is nothing in the Filters folder. I opened some of the other folders (e.g., Effects and 3D Engines) and found that those folders are empty too.

Maybe I should reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update everyone. I did a chat session with Adobe Support this morning. They suggested I uninstall and reinstall Photoshop. I'll let you know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnku trevor worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor. That worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have purchased version or cracked Because i have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert the layer/imange to 8-bit mode by going to image>Mode>8 Bits/Channel after showing all filters in the preferences.

I've just learned that a lot of the filters don't support 16bit or more for some reason and they haven't bothered updating so that they do.

It should let you choose the filters and the filter gallery that was previously grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is ever looking for these, if you go to filter/filter gallery, they all show up there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines