• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mixer Brush Changed? Can't select texture to paint in dry mode anymore.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All!

I installed Photoshop 2019 and I've noticed the Mixer brush seems to have changed. Now when sampling when wet, the texture looks like the brush tip instead of looking like the area of the canvas sampled.

Also in dry mode, it only samples a single color instead of sampling the canvas where selected.

Is there a way to enable the old mode of the mixer brush? The dry mode in particular was very useful in the wold way it was setup, and it would be awesome to continue to be able to use that.

Thanks!

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Just figured it out…
The sampling preview box has a small arrow next to it. If you click it you'll see 3 options, make sure that Load Solid Colors Only is unchecked. That will do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that, could you please try resetting the tool and see if it helps with the issue?

Basic troubleshooting steps to solve problems and issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for helping out!

I reset all tools, and it didn't fix it unfortunately. Still when I alt+click, it only samples a single color, instead of a texture. Is there a way to still sample as an image when alt+clicking?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Do you have "Sample All Layers" checked in the options bar?

If not that - please show a screenshot , including the options bar and layers panel just after you Alt-Click

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have sample all layer selected. here's two screenshots, one from 2018 and one from 2019 showing the difference.

2018: Adobe Creative Cloud

2019: Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution to this problem? I have the same issue. Hitting "alt/option" under the mixer brush toggles the color picker, and no matter how much I reset the preferences or check "sample all layers," it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue too.  It's always worked before.  Now it keeps reverting to picking up the foreground color.  Adobe reps...can you please get back to us on this.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I spent some hours tring to figure out what was happening. I guess it's a bug. I'm on the latest Photoshop 21.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured it out…
The sampling preview box has a small arrow next to it. If you click it you'll see 3 options, make sure that Load Solid Colors Only is unchecked. That will do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh My Gosh!! Thank you!! I've been trying to figure this out for hours!!! Couldn't find the answer anywhere else!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Massive credit to you! I've been stuck on a project which needed this for ages and you have saved a load of time, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was too stuck on a project since two days, tried end number of videos from YouTube. Thaaanksks a lot. 👍🏽

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've spend too much time on such a simple fix. Bless you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm having a problem where when I try to use the mixer brush for retouching It paints instead of retouching the texture. Where can I find the sample preview box to change It back to what It was doing before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines