• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modifying pixel-based adjustments

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a complicated question, so here’s the summary in advance:  what’s the most efficient workflow for an image in which I would like to make both pixel-based (ie clone-stamp, dodge/burn, etc) and filter-based (smart filters, of course) adjustment AND be able to modify any of the changes.

The details: I have an image for which I would like to make two or more pixel-based adjustments as well as use (smart) filters.  I would also like to use only one pixel-based tool per rasterized layer. I’m still a rookie here (hence my official rank as “Community Beginner”) but I thought the best workflow strategy would be to put the pixel-based layers (again, one tool per later) just above the background layer, duplicate each of those rasterized layers and merge one copy of each of them into a smart layer on which to use the filter-based changes.  Modifying the smart filter adjustments is of course a cinch, but what if I also wanted to be able to modify the pixel-based adjustments after creating the smart layer above them?  Having retained a copy of each rasterized layer, I could then make the change(s), duplicate those layers yet again (in case there’s another iteration), again merge one copy of each rasterized layer into a smart layer and copy the smart filters into this modified smart layer and delete the previous smart layer.

I suspect there’s an easier, more efficient way to do this.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could open your image in Photoshop without making it into a Smart Object layer at the beginning. If it is already a smart object layer, right click on it and choose rasterize so that it is no longer a smart object.

Then convert it to a Smart Object layer. Any filters you apply will be applied to the smart object layer and be easy to edit non-distructively at any time. If you want to make pixel adjustments, you can double-click on the smart object layer. It will then open as a temporary file in a new window in Photoshop where you can make pixel adjustments. To keep the adjustments, save the temporary file -- do not change the name of the file -- and then close it. The smart object layer will be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can understand your question then look at instructions by @Barbara Ash and I want to add: the trick is to convert Normal layer to Smart Object layer, not Background what is default if you use Place command.

• Open image
  • Convert Background to normal layer by clicking on padlock on the right side of layer
  • Convert layer to Smart Object
  • Aplly filter to Smart Object layer
  • Edit Smart Object layer content
  • In SO editing mode create new layer and clone on that separate layer
  • You can edit Smart Object layer at any time and every time you update content Photoshop will reapply filters applied to Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to you both for the expert recommendations and Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines