• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modphoto

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Advise please. Native files from my APS-C 24mp Nikons have a file size of 6ooox4000px. File size RAW or jpeg is around 5-10mb, depending on the camera.

I usually start with Lightroom. However when taking the image over to PS the image size multiplies up to about 68mb! 

I cannot seem to do anything about it. I am not concerned about storage but for digital uploads for print or website this file size is disproportionately big and thus very slow. Some uploads don't take any more than around 30mb. Even on here the max upload is 47mb.

I welcome your comments. Thank you.

Geoff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

A raw file is a compressed one channel, 12- or 14-bit grayscale file, so the file size is relatively small.

But the NEFs should be bigger than 5-10 mb, files from my 24 MP D7100 are around 30 MB.

When you send a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop, a new RGB file is rendered from the raw file, and 68 MB is what you get with an 8-bit uncompressed 6000 x 4000 file.

To reduce the file size for printing, save as a jpg, which will reduce the file size considerably, even with max quality.

For web u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A raw file is a compressed one channel, 12- or 14-bit grayscale file, so the file size is relatively small.

But the NEFs should be bigger than 5-10 mb, files from my 24 MP D7100 are around 30 MB.

When you send a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop, a new RGB file is rendered from the raw file, and 68 MB is what you get with an 8-bit uncompressed 6000 x 4000 file.

To reduce the file size for printing, save as a jpg, which will reduce the file size considerably, even with max quality.

For web use, create jpgs with Export or Save for web, where you can also reduce the pixel dimensions.

You can also export jpgs from Lightroom, for print or for web use.

For more information, see

What is a digital image

File formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Per. Clear and concise. I understand. regards. Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines