• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move Tool and Proportionally Resize not Working

Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Photohop to a second computer and made sure to copy all the same preferences to keep on working as before. Nevertheless I'm experiences some strange issues.

For example, the move tool doesn't work. Or better, unless I click on the Control T keys (to activate the free transform tool) when I move a layer, the system jumps to a different layer and move that instead.

Also, I cannot change size to obejcts with the free transform tool or with the scale tool. It is like the Shift key doesn't work. True is, the new Logitect keybord is giving me headaches and I'm going to have it changed, but the Shift key works perfectly on any other program, therefore I suppose this has to do with something inside Photoshop.

For the same reason, I cannot use properly the pen tool, since either Shift and Alt and Control don't work either (again, only in Photoshop).

Can anyone help? I feel a little frustrated... Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Try this

Uncheck "Auto-Select" in the options bar for the move tool and check "Show Transform Controls":

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, the move tool doesn't work. Or better, unless I click on the Control T keys (to activate the free transform tool) when I move a layer, the system jumps to a different layer and move that instead.

That sounds nonsensical to me.

What are the exact and complete settings of the Move Tool in the Options Bar on the two computers?

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this

Uncheck "Auto-Select" in the options bar for the move tool and check "Show Transform Controls":

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, for the move tool the problem was the auto-select option! I never noticed it What it is meant for? I don't understand... In any case, thanks @davescm, one problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example if one has to arrange many Layers containing smallish content it can be more efficient to auto-select them on the Canvas instead of selecting them in the Layers Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to use it. For now the selection just went to a layer or the other without any reason I could understand. Sometimes "entering" a group and chosing a layer inside it, sometimes going up to one of the the top layers or on the contrary down to one of the botton. I couldn't see any reason for why one layer was chosen instead of another

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed Photoshop CC 20.0 version and transform is not effected by the shift key so transforms cannot be proportional.

Auto select on or off does not help.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Transform proportionally by default

Photoshop now transforms all layer types (such as pixel layers, type layers, shape layers, bitmaps, Placed Smart Objects) proportionally by default.

When transforming a layer, you no longer need to hold down the Shift key while dragging a corner handle to resize a selected layer to constrain its proportions. Anytime you drag a corner handle during transform and move it, the layer resizes proportionally. Holding down the Shift key now resizes non-proportionally when you drag a corner handle during transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why mess with this. This is going to be a pain to get used to. Who tests this stuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't ask me, I'm just a normal user like yourself

You can revert it, take a look at this bit

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

from here

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how the solution is not simply selecting or deselecting an option. I actually have to create and install my own plain text code file in order to override it. Talk about forcing a person to adapt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so much who test it, but who make the decision to implement it and not listen to the testers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who are the morons changing such a ubiquitous behavior! Adobe stop! Just stop mucking with UX behaviors I've have been accustomed to for over 25 years.  I'm so tempted to dump your bloated products.  Does Quark ring a bell? Don't think people won't abandon ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly. i hate that adobe CC is now ALWAYS BETA. WE ARE ALWAYS GETTING A BETA PRODUCT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It goes against the logic of how most Adobe applications have behaved over the years. The Shift key is a modifier to ADD a constraint, not remove. Like when using the Move tool, you can move an element anywhere. If Adobe continues down this path, the Move tool should by default, only let you move an object left - right, up - down, in a linear fashion and THEN adding Shift would lett you freeform move an object. Sounds silly right? Well that's what they have done with the Transform tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! 

I haven't used Photoshop in a while and so now when I made a new project and was going to resize an image  proportionally - it ditn't work! I've watched so many tutorials on this simple thing, and I realised now that they've all been to old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using the latest version of Photoshop (v25.1.0), and when I try to move an selected object or layer, the action of moves from the layer I had selected and moves to another layer...  reading the solution above, got me to look for the Auto-Select and the Show Transform Controls check boxes, and my menu does not show those options.  What am I missing?? Here is what I get:

Move-tool_optionsNotShowing.png

any help will be appreciated...

Rocío López-Bretzlaff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea why Shift, Control and Alt don't work, instead?

I still cannot use the transform tool and the pen tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable! Who the hell decided to change an universal feature like this!!
CRAZY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press ALT rather than Shift. It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think adobe got sick of NOOBS who resize images and distort the pictures. I think it is a great change. I always use shift to resize images to stay in proportion now i dont have to!!!!  One less repetitive keyboard motion!!!!! Go adobe!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines