• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move Tool does not move layer when dragging with Wacom tablet

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the trial version of CS5 (probably going to upgrade at the end of the trial), and I've only found one thing about it that I don't like more than CS3. This is VERY VERY annoying, and I'm not sure if it's a glitch, or just a preference that needs to be reset:

When using the move tool, I will move something and it will just snap back to where it originally was. When it snaps back, it might move a few pixels over in the direction I was dragging, but it is definitely not moving to where I want it to go. The only way to get things to move the way I want to is by Free Transform...but it's annoying, when you're trying to design a layout, to have to free transform every element you want to move, first.

I'm guessing that this is a glitch because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't...it's pretty random. I've tried turning Snap on and off, and nothing changes. Any idea how to fix/change this?

~Mike

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Hello,

I think I may have found the culprit. I started using Adobe PS CS 5 Extended the same day I received the Wacom Intuso 4 (about one year ago) and NEVER had a problem until last month when I added Adobe PS CS5 into the application section, see below.

This is the ONLY change that I made to my wacom settings beside the typical button layout.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 3.16.13 PM.png

I just tested this out. I removed the Adobe Photoshop CS5 from the field Application field and restarted Photoshop WITH the tablet plugged in. Now, I can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 144 Replies 144
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there hasn't been...you'd think Adobe would be able to figure out such a thoroughly documented and widespread problem by now.

I just got a new computer, and I can confirm that the problem still occurs - it's not computer specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem, and it's very annoying. I'm using a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and an Apple magic trackpad with Photoshop CS5.1 on a mac running Lion Server 10.7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happens now and then to me. Just quit out of photoshop and restart and it corrects the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strube, are you also using a wacom tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The one that I have problems with is at work and it is close to my speakers and pen. And, it seems it happens more often then not when it is windy outside. Maybe it has something to do with static electricity. I'll ask our IT consultant if he has ever heard of this problem with other designers and get back with you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quitting out of Photoshop and relaunching it doesn't ever fix the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2012 Mar 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate this glitch!  CS5, Intuous 4, and Macbook running Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I think I may have found the culprit. I started using Adobe PS CS 5 Extended the same day I received the Wacom Intuso 4 (about one year ago) and NEVER had a problem until last month when I added Adobe PS CS5 into the application section, see below.

This is the ONLY change that I made to my wacom settings beside the typical button layout.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 3.16.13 PM.png

I just tested this out. I removed the Adobe Photoshop CS5 from the field Application field and restarted Photoshop WITH the tablet plugged in. Now, I can use both the track pad and the tablet. See below:

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 3.41.44 PM.png

Just to test my finding, I readded the application BACK to the application field (Photoshop was shut down; pen and mouse three feet away) and modified my settings like I wanted, then I started Photoshop.

At first, I was able to use the track, but as soon as I used the pen, the track pad stopped functioning properly and the "jump back" problem started again.

I only have Flash Player and Wacom in the other field on System Preferences, see below.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 3.19.36 PM.png

In this case it doesn't matter weather the pen is sitting on the tablet or not. Once Photoshop is removed from the Application field of the Wacom settings, the track pad and tablet work in harmony.

I hope this works out for you and helps Adobe/Wacom find a solution/fix to the problem.

Regards,

Brandon

Message was edited by: numeroeins

Message was edited by: numeroeins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Since the behaviour is fixed by changing settings in the Wacom Driver, and that Photoshop only acts on the information he receives from the driver, I strongly suggest to post this info on the Wacom forums as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

This is the first forum that I came accross. Do you happen to have a link for the main Wacom forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I can't find a US forum for Wacom. They have a European one though (forums.wacom.eu). I'll see what my Wacom contacts have to say about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have swapped back and forth from the track pad to the tablet all day without any problems. Now, I'm with a full head of hair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread I know, but this issue is still happening years later. Cant believe nobody has figured this out. It happens to me on several systems. Brand new machine with NOTHING more installed than CS6 and Font Explorer. Different Wacom tablets too. Ive tried new drivers whenever they come out.

Anyway, Im just replying to this message because the Bamboo Wacom driver doesn't even have any specific app settings, so there is no way to add or delete the Photoshop app from the driver settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any of these extensions installed?

Re: Move Tool does not move layer when dragging with Wacom tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is the solution or not...though I really, really want it to be. I checked my settings, and I didn't have any application specific settings enabled. I enabled them, and then disabled them, and then restarted Photoshop...and both worked well! Though, are you sure that it's not just restarting Photoshop that fixed the problem? Also, why did it occur on my system, where no application specific settings were set?

Either way, both are working together now, which is a very nice change of pace. I'm wondering if the effects will continue to last after a few restarts (hope they do!).

Also, even if this is the solution...Adobe or Wacom really needs to address this. Users shouldn't have to decide between two useful functionalities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't believe it was the restart. Ever since I removed Photoshop from the applications specific settings, I left it running with the tablet connected to my Mac. The track pad and the tablet were both flawless for well over 6 hours and this morning. --I'm in Kuwait.-- Everything was connected and runing all night.

Did you test them both when you enabled them? I see that your wrote, "enabled them, then disabled them."

Here are the exact steps I took to test my finding:

Shut down Photoshop, tablet  should be connected, enable the application specific setting under Wacom, make a change to the tilt or anything other than the default settings used on all applications (like I did by adjusting my tilt), start photoshop (leave everything connected), open an image, drag something on top of that image, use the track pad to move layer one (if named so), then use the pen to move the item, and finally try the track pad again. It should jump back to the same spot.

My drivers are up to date. Software is up to date.

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 3.47.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 3.58.56 AM.png

As another test, since you mentioned restarting Photoshop, I left Photoshop running this time and added the application specific settings.

Here are the exact steps: Photoshop running, tablet and pen connected, pen is about 2.5 inches from the tablet, added Photoshop to the application specific settings, made a change to the tip pressure and tilt (anything than the default settings), closed the system preferences window, returned to photoshop, opened two images, used the track pad to drag an image onto the other (creating a new layer), then I used the track pad to move it around from top to middle to bottom and back, no problems, I then used the pen to move the image to the middle and that was it, and finally tested the track pad again just to find out I have the jump once again.

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 4.02.55 AM.png

In order to remove the jump, of course I have to remove the application specific settings, then restart Photoshop. Just removing the settings alone, will not clear the jump.

Please note that I'm being thorough in my steps due to the fact that one slight deviation could make a huge difference in the outcome. That is why I'm asking you about the "enable them, disable them" steps you mentioned.

Anyways, I'm glad it is working for you please do let us know if it stops working again.

To: Adobe Employees.  Have any of you tested this out in house?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently in communication with some folks from Wacom. We are able to reproduce the issue (both at Adobe and Wacom) and are currently investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the update, Brett. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on resolving this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have not heard back from the good folks at Wacom on this issue yet, which suggests that a solution has not yet been found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured it out.  You open preferences, go to trackpad, and click Dragging.  Works fine after dragging is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that.  As soon as I checked the transform controls box, the problem resurfaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmsheline, read the post with the green border around it near the bottom of page two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

numeroeins, I tried your fix, and had no luck. It's awesome that it's working for you, though.

I didn't have PS in my Wacom's Applications field. I added it, then subtracted it, all following your instructions, and the problem persists.

I'll probably have to hold off upgrading to CS6 if it's showing the same issue. Step one will have to be getting a new tablet. Maybe that's why Wacom is so silent on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Liam, I don't think a new tablet is going to make much difference. My Cintiq 24HD was just launched in November so it's a new model of tablet and the problem is still with us. They're not likely to launch two of them back to back within in a year of release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines