• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Foreground/Background Colors or How do I Pallet?

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really know how to describe this? My X key switches between two different colors. However, I want the convenience of having more than 2 colors. 3 and beynd. Is there any way of making it so I can use multiple colors there? 

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's this:

Halp.jpg

The effect I want is to be able to press X to roll through the multiple colors (3+) I have there. 

EDIT:

No solution yet. So I want to ask this... how do I get a pallet? Other than putting my colors on another layer, it feels way more convenient to have it on the UI. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing X doesn't change color. It switches between foreground and background color. That's hugely useful in a number of different situations and changing this functionality is off the table. Not going to happen, ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily create a script that will change the foreground color through an array of your colors and assign a shortcut key for that script. However the shortcut key can not be a letter like X.   Photoshop keyboard shortcut editor does  not support reassigning all of Photoshop shortcuts and assigned shortcuts must contain a Ctrl or CMD key as part or the shortcut.   F keys are also supported as shortcuts but an actions assigned the same key will override the shortcut F key.  Ctrl+X is the default shortcut for cut.  That most likely can be changes however  Ctrl+Alt+X would be a better choice for the foreground color switcher script.  You can use it  in combination with the X key switch the foreground to the background color then switch the foreground color the X Key will then switch between two of your colors. The D key will reset the swatches to BW.

A simple script like this will set random foreground and background colors:

app.foregroundColor.rgb.red = Math.random() * 255
app.foregroundColor.rgb.green = Math.random() * 255
app.foregroundColor.rgb.blue = Math.random() * 255
app.backgroundColor.rgb.red = Math.random() * 255
app.backgroundColor.rgb.green = Math.random() * 255
app.backgroundColor.rgb.blue = Math.random() * 255
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Color panel would probably be useful for you. All panels can be accessed under the Window menu.

If there are colors you use frequently, you can set up your own Swatches panel by adding and deleting colors in the panel. Then in the Swatches panel menu in the upper right corner you can choose to save your custom set of swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EeveeonE83980361 wrote: “how do I get a pallet? Other than putting my colors on another layer, it feels way more convenient to have it on the UI.”

The Swatches panel (Window > Swatches) does most of what you asked. You can create a set of your own colors, arranged in any order you like, visible in the UI, and you can click any of your own swatches to change the current foreground or background color. The only thing you want that the Swatches panel doesn’t have is being able to apply the next color with a keyboard shortcut. Many people leave the Swatches panel open all the time, so they can just click the color preset they want to apply next.

If you aren’t already familiar with the Swatches panel, it’s definitely worth learning and mastering because it also appears in other Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines