• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My clone stamp is not cloning

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2010 Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running CS5 on a Mac.  I select my clone source, and CS5 shows it in the brush circle as I move it to the destination.  Then I click on my track pad (or on my Wacom tablet, the result is the same), and nothing happens - the sample in the brush circle is not copied to the destination.

I've gone into the Clone Source tab and unchecked everything, but it makes no difference; I've even tried unplugging the Wacom in case it was interfering somehow, but this has no effect.  Opacity is set to 100%. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The healing brush isn't working either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on the Layer you want to clone from and what is the Clone sample mode in the Options Bar (Current Layer etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

A simple question mate! Did you hold down the option key while holding and clicking the clone circle over the area you wanted to clone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm holding down the option key, and getting the crosshairs.  To answer the question above yours, I'm working on a copy of the background layer with the sample set to current layer.

Here's an even funnier bit: when I shut down both CS5 and Lightroom 3 (I opened the file from LR), the clone brush begins to work again for a while - and then it stops working!  There is no rhyme nor reason to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only practical reason that in might not be working, is if you are trying to Clone onto an area which is unselected…you have an active selection which is hidden. If this is not the case then sounds like a reset of Photoshop Preferences is in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that.  But that raises another question: for a lot of the problems in these forums, the answer is to reset Preferences.  What is the role of the Preferences setting, and does it get corrupted or interfere with normal operation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences files of any and all applications can and do get corrupted.  I remember as far back as the infamous MS Word 4.x and 5.x settings/preferences file in Mac OS/Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes look that the mode of the Clone Stamp isn't set to "behind" as C. Says

What is the role of the Preferences setting, and does it get corrupted or interfere with normal operation?

Yes if there are performance issues or unexplainable behavior, a corrupt Preferences file can possibly be the cause. Traditionally on this forum people were told to "reset Preferences" whether they actually needed to or not. Just because no-one could be jacked to understand what was really causing the problem, its an easy shortcut, wipes eveything and provides an immediate solution.

Actually Preferences very rarely get corrupted these days on Mac if you maintain your machine properly. On CS4 for example I don't think I have ever reset Preferences- yep there's stuff in that folder dated Dec 2008.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset the tool settings and - fingers crossed - it's working properly now.  What should I do to prevent a corrupted preference file in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run Onyx on your machine every once in a while is good start. Other than that  - keep your fingers crossed

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the off-chance that the OP might have inadvertently have set the Tool to a very low Opacity of Flow or to a Mode like Behind by hitting some numbers or other key-combinations.

Do the strokes register in History?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hours of researching, I have found that WACOM JUST RELEASED NEW DRIVERS TO SOLVE THIS BULLSHIT ISSUE!

If you were having issues with while using a Wacom your BRUSH SIZE AND HARDNESS SHORTCUT (Command + Option) WAS NOT WORKING, WACOM'S NEW DRIVERS SOLVE THAT!  Just released!

NEW WACOM DRIVERS: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

macOS

Driver 6.3.35-2 (macOS 10.11 - 10.14)

6/20/2019

89.8 MB

DOWNLOAD

Windows

Driver 6.3.35-3 (Windows 7, 8, & 10)

6/20/2019

58.7 MB

DOWNLOAD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Problem solved here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines