Highlighted

My color picker will only show colors in greys

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden when I try using my paint bucket or eye dropper or color picker it will interpret the color I choose in a grey. It is utilizing the grey scale only.

What happened. I am working in CS3. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Need to do an Image --> Mode --> RGB perhaps....?

Mylenium

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

My color picker will only show colors in greys

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden when I try using my paint bucket or eye dropper or color picker it will interpret the color I choose in a grey. It is utilizing the grey scale only.

What happened. I am working in CS3. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Mylenium

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2011 2
Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet you're targetting a mask, or went into quick mask mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2011 3
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played around with the quick mask tool and it didn't correct the problem. Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2011 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2011 12
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If none of the aforementioned issues were at play could you post a screenshot for possible further clues?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2011 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. That was it. It forced me to flatten everything so I need to start over, but I have the tool back. Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2011 1
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imported a black picture and it was in grayscale mode. This fixed it for me! (For anyone googling this in 2019 lol )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get this, where am I supposed to go?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the color picker is grayscale only, you need to do one of three things.

• If the image itself is grayscale, go Image > Mode > RGB
  • If you're targeting a mask instead of pixel content, click the image thumbnail in Layers
  • If you're in Quick mask mode, press Q.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2019 3
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mask was it for me 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I'm in RGB mode and I'm not selecting a mask? I can select colors with the color picker manually, but holding ALT and sampling a color shows the correct color, but as soon as I let go of the click it changes to grey.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I opened an image I've worked with before. I'm in RGB color, not in a mask and not in quick mask mode. When using the eyedropper, the correct color flashes for a second, and then is converted to a gray. I can see the position of the indicator on the Color panel move after I click - from the color to a gray.

I can manually select a non-gray color in the Color panel myself and use it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It just randomly stopped happening after I made the layer invisible, moved to another layer, and then returned to the original layer. 😐

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed I'm having this same problem. Never saw it prior to this most recent update. Tried replicating your "fix" but to no avail. Has the issue persisted at all for you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes it did continue with that document if I remember correctly and my fix was only temporary. Ultimately I believe I had to copy my layers over into a new document to continue working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

Merci

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2020 0