My photoshop brushes keep on disappearing

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made my own brushes i use for lineart and colouring but whenever i turn off the computer, the brushes get deleted or they disappear. This has happened to me multiple times and I really don't want to create the same brushes over and over again. I saved the brush presets and all, i also named them, They do appear in the brush presets but whenever i quit photoshop, it disappears.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 29, 2017
Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional , Apr 29, 2017
After defining a few brush presets, go Edit > Presets > Preset Manager.  Select Brushes from the dropdown at the top.Select your new brushes, (they will have a blue outline) and Save SetWhere do you put your brushes?What operating system are you using?What version of Photoshop?This tells you the file locations.Photoshop CS6 preference file functions, names, locations If you are using Windows, the App Data path is probably best, but you need to make hidden files viewable from File ExplorerC:\User...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and made an interesting discovery whilst trying the suggestions on this forum. I downloaded and installed many of the Kyle brush packs and chose 'Open in Photoshop' from the menu. This worked, but the abr files were not installed in the Brushes folder, but instead placed in my temp folder. The brushes were all still in temp even after Photoshop lost them all. Obviously, the preset manager couldn't find them to reload them, so I had to move them all to the presets\brushes folder manually. I am hoping they won't now get lost again. The trouble is, my favourite brushes folder, which took some time to build, is still lost.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks I'll have a look at that later.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old post, but for the sake of reference, my preferred method of adding brush sets is to copy them to the app data folder hierarchy rather than double clicking the .abr file.  That way you know it is safe and will survive updates etc.

With a massive collection like the Kyle Megapack, it is absolutely worth trawling through all the groups looking for the most useful prests, and copy (Drag) them to a new group.  Then go to the Preset Manager and save that new group which will place it as a new file in the app data folder hierarchy.   Otherwise the Kyle Megapack is just too complicated to be be properly useful.  There are some outstanding presets amoung them (especially the splatter presets).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines