Highlighted

My photoshop timeline menu is not showing all the options I need to crate a frame animation. Help please!

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My photoshop timeline is not showing all the options I need in order to create a frame animation. It seems as though some of the options are not available (mouse arrow turns into a black circle with a cross through it when I hover my mouse over such options) and the menu bar is not showing all the options that should be there in order to create an animated gif.

Is this because I need to update my photoshop? I have attached 2 photos to help - 1st photo is the menu options I see on my computer. 2nd photo (with the red arrow in it) is what the timeline menu should look like based on the online photoshop GIF tutorial I am following.

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.45.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.45.57 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by War Unicorn | Adobe Community Professional

You have to click the "Create Frame Animation" button in the center of the panel before you can click the convert button in the lower left. Photoshop can't switch between the two if it doesn't know what kind of animation it is to begin with. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

My photoshop timeline menu is not showing all the options I need to crate a frame animation. Help please!

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My photoshop timeline is not showing all the options I need in order to create a frame animation. It seems as though some of the options are not available (mouse arrow turns into a black circle with a cross through it when I hover my mouse over such options) and the menu bar is not showing all the options that should be there in order to create an animated gif.

Is this because I need to update my photoshop? I have attached 2 photos to help - 1st photo is the menu options I see on my computer. 2nd photo (with the red arrow in it) is what the timeline menu should look like based on the online photoshop GIF tutorial I am following.

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.45.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.45.57 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by War Unicorn | Adobe Community Professional

You have to click the "Create Frame Animation" button in the center of the panel before you can click the convert button in the lower left. Photoshop can't switch between the two if it doesn't know what kind of animation it is to begin with. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 02, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a Video Timeline. Convert it to a Frame Animation via the teeny-tiny button in the lower left corner of the Timeline panel. (It'll look like 3 hollow squares.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the drop list to change to 'Create Frame Animation' and nothing changes with the menu. I have tried clicking the three boxes, but the cursor changes to a 'you can't do that' symbol (See attached photo). Any idea what gives?

20160223_110612_HDR.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 23, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2016 2
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had ticked Frame Animation in that drop down list in the center of the screen, but didn't realize that it became a button I had to click as well. Seems redundant, but as long as it is working it's all good. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2016 6
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So relieved to find this thread.  I had exactly the same issue and it has been driving me nuts!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, it wasn't really clear , was it?!!!

thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well EUREKA!! So easy when you click on Create Frame Animation, not just select in from the dropdown.... Phew!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So happy to see this!!!! So relieved!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I can't tell you how long I was trying to figure this out. Thank God I found this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0